Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Cutting a motor commutator & motor tweaks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #1761
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Cutting a motor commutator & motor tweaks

Yup! That one is in good shape to be it's age.
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2012, 12:33 AM   #1762
I wanna be Dave

The cobalt was just a name.....the Reedy Stocker Big Jim was working on was slated to be called the Kobalt....as Reedy like to use elements (Ti-Titanium, KR=Krypton, etc). The motor was never released....so Ernie used the name on the modified that came after the D6....they had a really trick endbell....can was bright blue with Fb9 magnets.

Trinity followed it up a couple of years later with the Cobalt 27 stock motor....which was probably the best stocker ever made.....also one of the last.

Flat wire seemed to have a smoother powerband, as the wire stacks in better....I don't think there was really any performance downsides....cost and pain in the ass to wind were the main issues, plus they didn't sell half sizes. Many debated if they did anything at all. I'll have some flat wire arms here in the future....I scored some wire, so I figured what the heck.

Later EddieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I got out of racing just before the cobalts came out. ROAR didn't allow cobalt mags so my question is did they change the rule for real cobalt magnets? Are they real cobalt/rare earth magnets or something stronger Ernie used in the motors?

Also what was the benefit from flat vs standard wire? And is there a benefit we would see in crawling from flat wire?

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #1763
I wanna be Dave

That's why I run Team Brood's in all my rigs. EddieO knows his chit, and isn't afraid to get crazy building motors
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #1764
I wanna be Dave

I just finished freshening up a set of Brood 35T HHKs for a fellow club member:
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #1765
MODERATOR™

That is a large drill hole you have there.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #1766
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
He's from Texas. They specialize in large drill holes.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #1767
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
It happens now and then. Sometimes the resin settles more on one lobe, even with an awesomely balanced blank and perfect pattern wind. My oven works well to keep it from happening, but it still happens now and then.

You really want to mess with flatwire Eddie? Don't get enough torture during the day and need some extra excitement trying to fill triangles with squares?

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 04-05-2012 at 11:58 PM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #1768
I wanna be Dave

Bigger holes are common on the big wire stuff. You are jamming wire all over, not to mention they flow the epoxy different than arms will with smaller wire.....I may end up just using VPI on them all in the future......my balancer is overly sensitive too, so really need to switch back to using the Heins.

As for flatwire......normally, I wouldn't bother.........but Ernie P basically gave me the wire for nothing, so I might as well use it....it's just one of many projects I am messing with.........lightweight stuff has kinda been the priority lately, so I have been working on that. I came up with a new endbell the other night that would of been amazing in racing. Trying to make it work with existing parts (brushes, springs, etc) is proving to be a challenge...

Might get that new website finished soon too

Later EddieO
Old 04-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #1769

I haven't found using a vacuum helps spread the epoxy any better, but I ensure the viscosity is really low before starting the process. One of those things that seems like it works better when all the bubbles come out, but there isn't any evidence after the fact that performance changed, you know? 6 of one and 1/2 a dozen of the other it seems.

Get to work on that site! It's not like there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything we want to do

Killed my welder today, what a bummer. Popped a breaker and I thought it was just a glitch. Went to use it again and the fawker went up in smoke! I don't think they would take it back after all the mods I did to it though
Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #1770
I wanna be Dave

Thats strange you have not had much success with VPI....it makes a huge differenece on the 5 segment arms. No slot car arm worth a crap is made without VPI. Maybe post a pic of your setup, maybe something isn't right or you are doing something wrong in the process.

I thought I killed my welder way back in the day....I went to HF and bought a new one....I gutted it, modded what I needed to....swap over the custom parts.......welder still didn't work. Turns out I just had a bad connection at the tip....it had slid up into the slot more and was not making a good contact....Big Jim got a laugh out of it for sure. The unbroken one sits in my garage to this day. I have the Parma welder some where....

Website is at the bleh point of work....adding exceptions and inventory for product variations. I need to do a massive armature inventory. Still waiting on products photos. The guy doing them has been super busy at work....hopefully he gets the last batch done this weekend.

Later EddieO
Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #1771
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
The cobalt was just a name.....the Reedy Stocker Big Jim was working on was slated to be called the Kobalt....as Reedy like to use elements (Ti-Titanium, KR=Krypton, etc). The motor was never released....so Ernie used the name on the modified that came after the D6....they had a really trick endbell....can was bright blue with Fb9 magnets.

Trinity followed it up a couple of years later with the Cobalt 27 stock motor....which was probably the best stocker ever made.....also one of the last.

Flat wire seemed to have a smoother powerband, as the wire stacks in better....I don't think there was really any performance downsides....cost and pain in the ass to wind were the main issues, plus they didn't sell half sizes. Many debated if they did anything at all. I'll have some flat wire arms here in the future....I scored some wire, so I figured what the heck.

Later EddieO
I'd be down for some flat wire arms. I loved running flat wire mods back in the day. They were WAY smoother in a TC and they seemed to spool up faster than a round wire arm of the same wind. I also never had a single one blow itself apart. I've wanted to try a flat wire crawler specific arm for a long time... put me at the top of your list when you get those wound Eddie.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #1772
I wanna be Dave

Will do.....they are only gonna be available in a few turns..I am hoping mid may or so? Thats strange you liked them in TC....most hated them in TC, with the rare exception in rubber tire ashphalt. The Offroad guys loved them though for the smoother lower end....

This lightweight stuff is just REALLY eating my time. I am currently working on Jermey's Super motors. Goal is to lose 2 oz per motor.....I am at 45 grams already and have done nothing to the endbell yet.

Good news though, I think I found Aluminum screws!! I will have them for all motors pretty much.

Ooh, and I got 550 motors again too!

Later EddieO
Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #1773
Nobody

Quote:
Thats strange you have not had much success with VPI....it makes a huge differenece on the 5 segment arms. No slot car arm worth a crap is made without VPI. Maybe post a pic of your setup, maybe something isn't right or you are doing something wrong in the process.

Later EddieO
I'd like to see some pics of the setup, considering I'm not sure I know what VPI is. Enlighten a newb...
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #1774
I wanna be Dave

Here is mine....well at least the old one. I still gotta finish the new one....another project on the list.

I didn't include a picture of my holding setup.....design was given to me by a friend who doesn't want it out

As for the process, mine is pretty advanced......again, given to me by the same friend. In a nutshell, the arms are submerged in epoxy, the chamber is put under vaccum.......arms are removed and baked.

Later EddieO
Old 04-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #1775
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I am currently working on Jermey's Super motors. Goal is to lose 2 oz per motor.....I am at 45 grams already and have done nothing to the endbell yet.
Aww....how sweet of you. And I didnt even ask!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #1776
I wanna be Dave

HA! You always order easy stuff.....you haven't even ordered a set of the nutty team motors yet!

Later EddieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Aww....how sweet of you. And I didnt even ask!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #1777
RCC Addict

Silly flatwire arm related question......do they all sound that insane? I recently cut a couple flatwire arms for guys at the offroad race track, and they sound mean at 5 volts. Louder, more intense than regular roundwire. KnowhatImean? Maybe it's just the D4/5 can.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #1778
I wanna be Dave

Its a combo of both.....more the can I think. The later trinity cans had really weird vents....so they always had a different hum down the straights on the track....the flatwire seemed to amplify it.

Later EddieO
Old 04-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #1779
Nobody

Quote:
Here is mine....well at least the old one. I still gotta finish the new one....another project on the list.

I didn't include a picture of my holding setup.....design was given to me by a friend who doesn't want it out

As for the process, mine is pretty advanced......again, given to me by the same friend. In a nutshell, the arms are submerged in epoxy, the chamber is put under vaccum.......arms are removed and baked.

Later EddieO

That doesn't look too complicated. Seems like it would really suck the resin deep in the winds and work much better than my method of brushing it on.

Is this what your setup looks like John or do you have something different? Post a pic up for us noobs to admire.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordwood View Post

Is this what your setup looks like John or do you have something different? Post a pic up for us noobs to admire.

My vac chamber is a two piece tank that is top loading and larger to handle ESCs. Pic is on my phone, just need to upload it to the web. I've been hassling around with the comm brazer with my free time the past few days.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/223989-cutting-motor-commutator-motor-tweaks.html
Posted By For Type Date
Hiilimoottorin kunnostaminen This thread Refback 10-04-2011 03:19 PM