Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spektrum DX6i Pistol, Dual Wheel, Dual Trigger, brake button, momentary on/off button

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Paint shop before it's done

Now it's time for the duanting task of figuring just how I want all my controls to work for 2 different crawlers
EDIT APRIL 7th
Momentary Crab Ail d/r switch to Upper silver button
Momentary 4WS steer Mix switch to lower silver button
3 way SW for 4wd, 2wd, DIG installed next to trigger for thumb control-> Elev Ch.
2nd steering wheel mounted on the side-> Rudder ch.
Ch 4 Elev 2nd Throttle Trigger
-Switch to select between Elev DIG or 2nd Throttle.
Ch5 Gear switch
Ch6 Aux switch (flap)
Bind button

and attaching the 2nd wheel
Attached Images

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 04-07-2010 at 06:44 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #22
RCC Addict

You won't miss that radio! Yeah only need resistor for converting a proportional channel (Thro, rudd, Elev, Aile) to 3pos. Pretty well any value resitor (within reason) so long as it is the same on both sides will work.

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Oh sorry I missed it but you won't need resistors when you combine 2 standard DX6i switches. Like if you put to mix switches on the one 3pos toggle for rear steer.

Kieren
Old 03-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
You won't miss that radio! Yeah only need resistor for converting a proportional channel (Thro, rudd, Elev, Aile) to 3pos. Pretty well any value resitor (within reason) so long as it is the same on both sides will work.

Kieren
Yea I am pretty please with the paint, it has a matte finish like the DX.
From what I have read, I need a 2.2k resistor on both sides to come close to the 5k pot. 2.2x 2= 4.4k
also needed on a pot if you are going to mix it. other wise it will wonder off. using the resistors keeps it centered

Quote:
Oh sorry I missed it but you won't need resistors when you combine 2 standard DX6i switches. Like if you put to mix switches on the one 3pos toggle for rear steer.

Kieren
thank u 4 clarifying

I am copying bits and pieces of info from Clockworks and from pm to try and put the puzzle together.

Any idea why he says to get so many different types of resistors ?
where are they hidden. ?

So far I know that I need to use a 1k or 2k mini pot and wire it in series with the main pots.
Problem is, if you look in his pictures I only see 2 wires, 1 middle, 1 side. So I am confused

Do you have all your pots and resistors figured out ?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
just run a resistor from the left hand terminal to the center terminal and another resistor from the right hand terminal to the center as well. That is for a 3 pos switch. Just means that when the switch is off it sends a return to center value to the radio.

Kieren
So are you saying this is no longer valid ?

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 03-23-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:39 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Ok this is clear cut!

1. You don't need resistors when putting two standard DX6i 2pos switches into a single 3 pos switch(by removing the wires from the 2 pos of course)

2. You need resistor ONLY when you are place 3 position switches in the place of a POT in either the thro, elev, aile, or rudd channels. They are also used to center a channel when the switch is in the off position.

3. You will only need one resistor value, somewhere around 2k5 whatever you can find. For me I could get 2k6 easily so I went with them.

4. I am not entirely sure what you are doing with mini pots? But anyway they can be used as a form of epas (look up the old TQ3 thread) and yes they only use the 2 wires through the pot.

And yes I have all my pots and resistors figured out. Would you like me to put up a final diagram? It is kinda confusing but remember proportional channels + 3pos = resistors. That should be the only time you will use them, since your not dealing with dual ESCs.

Kieren
Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

mini pots (trim)
clockworks said to use them on the main channels to adjust them because the pots in the pistol case do not move the same amount as the Sticks. that's what I understand anyway.
he mounted 4 of them in the battery tray. but I only see 2 wires to each and not 3, maybe the 3rd terminal is std grnd and is series across the 4 and so just one extra wire comes back to the board that I cannot see.

so you are not using mini pots ?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This should be a bit easier since this is the same radio as clockworks! BTW to work in crab, opposite and proportional you need 2 toggle switches that is without any mixing. Look forward to the build

Kieren
How did you program yours with just switches ?
I thought you had to program a mix.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #29
RCC Addict

I am not using mini pots as the do not 'add' to the throw of the channel, they only can reduce I believe. Plus the DX6i has EPAs built in. Alot of clockworks stuff I don't understand, so I really just used it as a proof of concept I have designed my wiring from the ground up with the help of clockworks, more so than his original thread. Basicly I call mixing with switches pyshical mixing. Basicly it simply uses the switches to either remove or modify the signal to the radio channel, when they are put inline of the POT and radio board. Only thing is it requires you use on proportional channels. My dual ESC dig set up is pyshical mixing.

Kieren
Old 03-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I am not using mini pots as the do not 'add' to the throw of the channel, they only can reduce I believe. Plus the DX6i has EPAs built in. Alot of clockworks stuff I don't understand, so I really just used it as a proof of concept I have designed my wiring from the ground up with the help of clockworks, more so than his original thread. Basicly I call mixing with switches pyshical mixing. Basicly it simply uses the switches to either remove or modify the signal to the radio channel, when they are put inline of the POT and radio board. Only thing is it requires you use on proportional channels. My dual ESC dig set up is pyshical mixing.

Kieren
oh boy. huh head scratch-er. He says on pg 3 [ClockWorks]-->" 4 trimpots needed to balance the new main pots:." "I think I might have solved the rear servo problem when using a mix.
I added a 1K resistor to the positive side of the steering pot. The aileron channel is now almost centred when I look at the "monitor" display screen. When I use a mix, the rear servo just moves slightly with the steering at neutral. I'll have to get a miniature 1K pot and wire that in series with the main steering pot. By tweaking the mini pot, I should be able to balance the aileron channel perfectly, so the rear servo won't change it's neutral position when I engage a mix.

I think the problem is that the KO Mars pot isn't exactly centred in it's resistance range when the wheel is centred. It doesn't matter for normal steering, because you can adjust the subtrim and travel to get everything working.
Problem is, a mix uses the physical stick position of the master channel to control the slave channel, not the trimmed position."
Quote->[CLOCKWORKS]

So you have wired the main ch's and found you dont need the mini pots ? i take it
UNderstand your mixing part though, Good work !.

is this 26 awg wire or 24 ?

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 03-25-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Mounted rear steer steering wheel, but I had to cut down on the Switch pcb board a bit but I can still solder on my power wires direct to the switch pins. I also carefull cut into the PCB to separate the poles so I have a Dual pole Power switch which is need for the DX to keep the memory.
I will build up styrene to hold the steering bracket to the rear case but it fits and has a spring return.
Wheel donated from my old Futaba Junior.

Working on Styrene box for PCB today
Attached Images

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 03-25-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #32
RCC Addict

I get what clockworks is saying, he is just saying that he needed those mini pots to trim his rear steer since when the servo is in a mix it was not responding to trim on the DX6i. *I think* Not sure why this is though. I will try it out and if nesecary I will put some in and I will let you know If I needed them. Looks like your case is coming along nicely

Kieren
Old 03-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I get what clockworks is saying, he is just saying that he needed those mini pots to trim his rear steer since when the servo is in a mix it was not responding to trim on the DX6i. *I think* Not sure why this is though. I will try it out and if nesecary I will put some in and I will let you know If I needed them. Looks like your case is coming along nicely

Kieren
Thanks I see you have done a lot of wiring brainstorming. I'm coming up behind ya. have you resolved anything.

? In looking at making a 3 way switch, is it best to use the Gear and Flap together so you can adjust the Travel and trim ?
and that way you can use Elev & Ail for a mix (4ws/ Crab) since the master Front steer Ail has a travel & trim adjustment directly on it.
Not sure whether to make the Elev stick into a 3way or make the Gear & Flap and 3 way, What do you think? use for 4wd-2wd-DIG Function

Also , do you find it easier to use in Acro mode instead of Heli mode ?
in heli mode the pitch is hard to understand how to use, where as in Acro mode you can easily adjust Gear and Flap travel and trim.

I love lots of switches/options but in looking at what switches I need, it's not much at all like clockwrks. only have

HUge thanks again

Thinking out loud: If I need a 3 Way to run 4WD-Far left pos--2WD-middle pos--DIG- far right position. It looks like I would convert Gear & Flap to a 3way So I can adjust the travel and trim for each side,
Or can the ELev Ch be turned into a 3way and accomplish the same task, what do you think ?

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 03-27-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #34
RCC Addict

For me this is what I will do

Elev - front throttle
Rudd - Rear throttle
Aile - Front Steer
Flaps - Rear steer
Thro - 3 pos switch
Mix one - Mix
Mix two - Aile D/R
Gear - 2 pos

For you, you could put your on/off/mom switch on rudder since you don't need dual ESC. Gear and flap mixing is kinda annoying to make it into 3 pos, plus your already using your mixes for rear steer. Also plane mode is WAY easier to understand for me than heli mode.

Kieren
Old 03-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
For me this is what I will do

Elev - front throttle
Rudd - Rear throttle
Aile - Front Steer
Flaps - Rear steer
Thro - 3 pos switch
Mix one - Mix - This is unused?
Mix two - Aile D/R - unused?
Gear - 2 pos - unused ?

For you, you could put your on/off/mom switch on rudder since you don't need dual ESC. Gear and flap mixing is kinda annoying to make it into 3 pos, plus your already using your mixes for rear steer. Also plane mode is WAY easier to understand for me than heli mode.

Kieren
Rudder is my Full time Porportional Rear steer
one sw (Flap) or ( ? ) turn into a momentary for 4WS
one Sw ( Gear) or ( ? ) turn into momentary for Crab

Can I make the Ele ch start at the left and move to middle and far right ?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:36 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Just use D/R and mix switches for mixes, save your proper channels. You can get the channel to do whatever you want it to buy feeding it the right signal. A 3 pos switch will move from one side through to the other, so will any pot?

Kieren
Old 03-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Just use D/R and mix switches for mixes, save your proper channels. You can get the channel to do whatever you want it to buy feeding it the right signal. A 3 pos switch will move from one side through to the other, so will any pot?

Kieren
I keep seeing this " Mix " switch, you talking about the mix/throttle momentary switch on Top Right side ?

yep, thanks, figured out Ail DR and Ele Dr to engage a mix
Old 03-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Mix switch is the throttle hold/mix switch at the back right of the contoller.

Kieren
Old 03-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Sweet !. EDIT:INfo Corrected

MIX will be my Rudd-Ail (Crab steer)
Ail D/R will be Rudd-Ail (4WS)

1/8 Scale buggy
Ch-1 Aileron = Front Steer
Ch-2 Throttle = Throttle
Ch-3 Rudder = Rear Steer-proportional
Ch-4 Elevator = 3 way switch 4WD, 2WD, DIG]
*Ch-5 Gear. Avail (lights)
*Ch-6 Aux. Avail
*Rudd D/R, Avail
*Ail D/R, Avail

Mix = Silver momentary on grip 4 Wheel Steer
Ail d/r = Silver mom above thumb Crab steer

BERG:
Ch-1 Steer
Ch-2 Throttle
Ch-4 Elev. DIG

DUAL ESC:
Ch-1 Steer
Ch-2 Throttle- Master throttle
Ch-4 ELevator- Front throttle (pinky finger) Proportional
Ch5 & ch 6 DIG modify to a 3 way switch or 2 Momentary buttons using Gear & Flap channels
FrontMix =silver mom Front throttle 100% / Rear 80%
Mix 2 = silver mom Rear throttle 100% /Front 80%
OR
Possibility Mount a Throttle trigger upside down in battery tray and use pinky to operate

Other Cars/Trucks
Program for Standard 2/3 channel operation

Heli/plane = Umbilical cord back to DX6i Stick and stock switches

Why not Dual Trigger throttle

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 04-14-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #40
RCC Addict

I see only one flaw with your wiring write up. You can't use Rudd D/R for mixes. It is not in the list on the DX6i. I thought you didn't have dual ESC? Anyhoo 2 throttle and 2 steer is a lot easier with sticks that will be, atleast in my opinion

Kieren