Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spektrum DX6i Pistol, Dual Wheel, Dual Trigger, brake button, momentary on/off button

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 02:18 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

I was able to check out this radio last week and it is very well done. Toy4crawlin has obviously taken his time making everything fit well. If I built it the first half would be very nice and then I would just want to use it already and rush to finish it.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
and people say my radios are complicated, lol

What does the trigger do, in the batt box?-I know i probably should read this thread but i'm not feeling it right, kinda late. and i will proably want to tear my radio apart again and add something.

I like how you was able to get the menu scroll wheel to fit, almost looks factory.

Is that orange stuff rubber?
I think with any of the custom Transmitter builds they all seem a little bit complicated. But once you understand the functions they all make sense.

The Trigger in the battery box is the throttle for the 2nd ESC. Kinda like your RTC in your grip activate d by your thumb.

The Orange you see is like polyurethane material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
I was able to check out this radio last week and it is very well done. Toy4crawlin has obviously taken his time making everything fit well. If I built it the first half would be very nice and then I would just want to use it already and rush to finish it.
Thank you
It did take a while to suite my variety of RC's.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Good thing I drew diagrams . I have been so busy I had not used my RC's in a long time I had forgotten two of the functions.

Once I went with Dual ESC's for my berg and using a Punk dig it has been a little difficult to get used to the more complex control of the 2nd ESC.
I have been thinking of adding a switch so I can just do rear dig with the normal trigger and only use the 2nd trigger for when I want different speeds front to rear.

I also replaced a lot of the wires for smaller binded wire to clean up the inside, it was becoming difficult to close up the case. Also used small P-touch labels to identify the wires.

Things left to do:
add a spring return for 2nd trigger
Clean up and place permanent stick on decals for the switch panel (front black labels)
Attached Images

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 04-27-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:44 AM   #104

wow thats amazing work how much did it cost to build that radio i need somethin like that for my super
lil' losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' losi View Post
wow thats amazing work how much did it cost to build that radio i need somethin like that for my super
thanks
the purchased the DX6i on ebay for $200. also picked up the donor case the Ko propo for about $40. , used the steering and throttle from my old Futaba Jr. transmitter for the 3rd and 4th channels, spent some cash on styrene, switches, pots, wires. I'm guessing $275-300.
the latest thing I realized feature wise is now with my new scaler having a winch, I can operate the winch with standard 3 way switch or use the 2nd throttle trigger and be able to control the speed.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Spektrum DX6i Pistol, Dual Wheel, Dual Trigger

Building a wraith now and I want quick momentary buttons to operate the DIG so going to add more buttons to the handle by using the Rubber CH. This radio has been great for modding functions and adding switches.

Ch 1 aileron, -front Steering wheel
Ch 2 throttle - Top trigger, also have brake button
Ch 3 Rudder- Steering wheel or use 2 momentary buttons for DIG
Ch 4 Elev - Bottom trigger or use 3 position switch. used for Winch or 3 position dig.
Ch 5. Momentary on, or select and use as a Momentary off to apply Mixes.
Ch 6. standard on/off
Old 03-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Spektrum DX6i Pistol, Dual Wheel, Dual Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
not shown in picture but I added another momentary button which is Flaps I think. I added it near MIX 1 momentary in the picture but I also added a switch before it so that I can choose whether it's a momentary ON or mom OFF.
Two more momentary buttons will be added to the handle on be-half of the Rudder Ch.

Building a wraith now and I want quick momentary buttons to operate the DIG so going to add more buttons to the handle by using the Rubber CH. This radio has been great for modding functions and adding switches.

Ch 1 aileron, -front Steering wheel
Ch 2 throttle - Top trigger, also have brake button
Ch 3 Rudder- Steering wheel or use 2 momentary buttons for DIG
Ch 4 Elev - Bottom trigger or use 3 position switch. used for Winch or 3 position dig.
Ch 5. Momentary on, or select and use as a Momentary off to apply Mixes.
Ch 6. standard on/off

DUAL ESC BERG
--with Mixed throttle control
--independent throttle control
--front or rear DIG
-- steering
-- throttle

Custom 4 ch Super buggy
-- front steering wheel, momentary crab or 4ws
-- rear steering wheel
-- throttle
-- 2wd, 4WD, DIG

1.9 scaler
-- Winch, 3 position
--winch proportional- adjust speed
-- steering
-- throttle

Wraith crawler- DIG
-- Winch, 3 position
-- winch proportional speed control
-- DIG
--steering
-- throttle

Short course
-- Brake button. adjustable strength
-- steering
-- throttle

1/5 scale 4wd electric
-- brake button. adjustable brake strength
-- steering
-- throttle

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 03-20-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Spektrum DX6i Pistol, Dual Wheel, Dual Trigger, brake button, momentary on/off bu

--> Great added New mod
Added a switch so that my MIx Momentary on can be a momentary OFF .

Have not seen anything more versatile or anything this Radio cannot do.

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 06-01-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Spektrum DX6i Pistol, Dual Wheel, Dual Trigger, brake button, momentary on/off bu

Btt
Old 12-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #110
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
Btt
For what? To show us you don't have a star anymore and I gotta kill your avatar?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #111
RCC Addict

To try and re live a 4 yr old thread I'm guessin? Lol
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Bringing this back up as will be working to complete the 2nd trigger spring for Aileron and fix the 2nd steering wheel, think it got dropped and feels loose.

Fixing it up as I will be attempting to use this on a Quadcopter

Adding to

RCgroups.com
UltimateRC.com 6 Channel Pistol grip 2.4 Conversion, - Radios & Servos @ URC Forums
Old 06-02-2015, 12:34 AM   #113
Got Worms?

I remember this thread...kinda makes me want to dig up a radio project I never got started on. Flysky CT6B crammed into a Spektum DX3E with a PDA/screen.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #114
Nobody

I still have that DX3E that you crammed some sort of 6-8 channel flysky radio into. It works good but having to change any settings through a PC is a pain in the ass.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #115
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordwood View Post
I still have that DX3E that you crammed some sort of 6-8 channel flysky radio into. It works good but having to change any settings through a PC is a pain in the ass.
Yea, I planned on doing the same build. But also ramming in a pda into it that hooked up to the flysky board for programming. But then the Flyksy GT3B came around and I lost interest in very time consuming pistol conversions
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:03 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

What are your opinions on using a pistol grip to control your Quadcopter?

Imagine the ease of flying a Q-Copter with a pistol grip and performing a banked turn by turning the steering wheel and pushing a mix button
With adding mixes to different buttons, acrobatic stunts would be a breeze.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 02-09-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:52 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Thank You for not killing my Avatar.
just renewed.
I like to have this to continue my project and record it

After a few life impactful issues I am back repairing and working to finish a few projects like this one.

Someone was looking for a scroll wheel to run a throttle, interesting idea. So far i found that it will glitch or jump . would be better with a pot or a

Super strange that with my thrtle trigger and steering potentiometer being a Ko Propo at different Ohms than a Spektrum and my 2nd steering wheel is a Futaba at different Ohms I added small 5k pots inline to adjust the ohm differance so that the Spektrum board will not have an issue. Yet the Original Spektrum Potentiometer for the 2nd trigger just wont read in the radio. so wil be trying another to get that finished
I have searched through all transmitters triggers searching for a small space trigger with no luck to date. Though the link below brings a great solution for a return to center solution in a tight area. The key shaft has the Black metal key which pushes on the spring. I think that this is a great simple design I may build.
So for those of you looking to build i am placing this link for a return center POT which might be an option.
For mine I dont have the space for a standard trigger as the 4 AA's because the battery pack does not allow enough space for a standard trigger.

Here is return center Pot though may be to large even after cutting down the screw mounting tabs, but is a great answer for getting the shaft to return center without the complex arms mechanics found in tx trigger assemblies.

As the DX6 transmitters prices have dropped the price by half, the cost to build something like this once you get your 6ch TX is about
$20-$75 for used tx case
$15-$35 for 2nd steering wheel,
$15 for 2nd trigger.
$15. on steyrene to build a LCD Box on the back
$20 switches
$5 5k ohm pots

I'll post new pics of new mods added.

On with upgrades
Replacing 2nd Steering wheel mounted on the side with Gimbal
The tx's that we know in our day use 5k potentiometer but the tech is Hall effect sensors.
taranis M7 has a farther stick through tham M9
HERE is great How to instruction to upgrade old school Gimbals to Hall effect sensor gimbal:
video -- > https://www.racedayquads.com/product...d04a0205&_ss=r

M9 Upgrade with Step by step and video
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t#post44395559
Big thanks to those that put the effort and shared it.

This is likely what I will be swapping to because its proven to work on Spektrum and its the smallest I have found with great reiews on stick feel.

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 05-02-2020 at 12:01 AM.