Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Clicking Integy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #1

Default Clicking Integy?

Is it normal for a 65T Integy lathe motor to click in reverse? I installed one today and noticed a clicking in reverse. I went through the gear train piece by piece looking for the source... I even measured the stock motor and the integy looking for differences in the cans that might affect pinion/spur mesh. Finally, I spun the Integy and noticed that it clicked when spun in reverse! I put power to it while I had it on the bench... Sure enough, it clicks loudly in reverse. Granted, this is a lathe motor and not the "Professional crawling motor". Is this normal and why?
xraycajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I have not heard of that before..........I have a 55T Integy lathe motor and it doesn't make that noise. I would contact Integy if you bought it new.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #3

i bought a 55t that did that

it went away after a few packs
Konaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Its normal and will go away after a few days.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
Its normal and will go away after a few days.
Yeah, it's normal if you want your commutator to wear out prematurely. If you are so inclined, you should pull out the brushes that are in the motor and look at the end of the curved part of the brushes--they should have a flat/dull edge instead of a sharp edge. You can take the brushes and file them down lightly by holding a fine toothed file flat on a table/bench and taking your brushes such that tips of the curves are both touching the file simultaneously and then lightly run the motor brush across the file in a linear motion.

I tell you, with the advent of brushless motors, most people have seem to have forgotten how to properly care for standard brushed motor. When I was racing off-road and touring car r/c's, I would do this procedure after cleaning off the face of the brushes after every run.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.M. View Post
Yeah, it's normal if you want your commutator to wear out prematurely. If you are so inclined, you should pull out the brushes that are in the motor and look at the end of the curved part of the brushes--they should have a flat/dull edge instead of a sharp edge. You can take the brushes and file them down lightly by holding a fine toothed file flat on a table/bench and taking your brushes such that tips of the curves are both touching the file simultaneously and then lightly run the motor brush across the file in a linear motion.

I tell you, with the advent of brushless motors, most people have seem to have forgotten how to properly care for standard brushed motor. When I was racing off-road and touring car r/c's, I would do this procedure after cleaning off the face of the brushes after every run.
i dont know if its the same with the OP but, i dont bother to clean my 45t brushed motor unless it isnt running. But then again, i run mien through mud sand water and whatever. Ill be happy with the motor if it lasts 1 year
traxxas4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #7

Default Clicking Integy

Thanks guys, I put a drop of com oil in the motor, and ran in on the shelf under low power for a few minutes. When I put it back in the truck, it ran noise free!. Thanks for the tip about the file, I'll try that, too.
xraycajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

But it also depends on the motor, if its a sliver or black colored one from integy then yes its normal. When I got my 45T and my 55T it did that, and its a silver one. After a few hours of running it goes away, its just the brushes braking in. But if its one of the blue ones they make then I dont know, any of the blue ones I have got always ran quiet
neoakaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
dkf
Rock Crawler

The comms of the integy motors are known to be way out of wack from new. The comm should be cut before you run them. Got a new 55t on the way, will see how out the comm is.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I had this problem and it ended up smoking the motor later. The brushes in it were not curved but were flat rather. It's dumb becasue what i figured out was the problem was was that the brush hoods were to big for the brushes and the brushes wiggled around. If you have one laying aorund try throwing your armature in an old epic can or something. It solved all the problems and got a noticeable amount of power
racer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
RCC Addict

The Integy motors really need to have the comm trued and a quality set of brushes thrown in it at the bare minimum. If you want it to run good (well, as good as an integy motor is gonna) you have to line the brush hoods up and re-shim the arm so that its in the center of the magnetic field. Those motors are just thrown together in a factory and really can benefit from a simple tune up. Check out Eee Pee's thread about cutting comms theres tons of quality info in it and none of the work is really difficult. If you dont own a lathe there's sure to be a local racer that still has one and will probably cut your comms for a very minimal fee.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

not alot of people racing still have lathe's. and if they do they probably don't have a bit for it's that still very sharp. with all the new brushless technology out there the racing scene is almost purely brushless
Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
RCC Addict

The racing scene is brushless now, but racers are racers. Especially older touring/12th/oval guys. They still have the gear sitting at home instead of being lugged to the track every weekend. I know of at least 6 guys I used to race with that still have all of their brushed motor stuff, even though they all now race brushless exclusively. Ive even bought a ton of can/endbell setups from some of them. Ask at your LHS if they know anyone that has a lathe. I still make $$ from my lathe thanks to my LHS... anyone at all that asks about brushed motors and tuning them gets pointed in my direction.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
The racing scene is brushless now, but racers are racers. Especially older touring/12th/oval guys. They still have the gear sitting at home instead of being lugged to the track every weekend. I know of at least 6 guys I used to race with that still have all of their brushed motor stuff, even though they all now race brushless exclusively. Ive even bought a ton of can/endbell setups from some of them. Ask at your LHS if they know anyone that has a lathe. I still make $$ from my lathe thanks to my LHS... anyone at all that asks about brushed motors and tuning them gets pointed in my direction.
huh. lol. thought i was the only was who was like that. honestly brushed motors piss me off now. they're all garbage. the older stuff was ten fold what it is now for the same amount of money.