Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: motor choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default motor choices

hey all, thanks to those who gave me input on my ESC choice. iv decided to go MM pro, simply due to the 6s, sensor, sensorless and brushed compatibility.

how ever now im left for motor choices. im torn between brushed and brushless. iv been lookin at the noval balistic crawler series,

iv got no experiance with brushless, and the most "powerful" set up iv had is tekin 35tpro on 3s.

so im into unknowen territory here, iv been reading and reading but i havnt seen much as far as detailed opinions go.

set ups - MMpro, 4s 40c lipo, motor-unknowen.

lookin for a motor that will have wheel speed, yet still be controllable at lower speeds for when the crawlin comes into play

TIA
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Got Worms?

If you can get a 14t puller, great fast speed, but as controllable and smooth as a high wound motor (55t) at low speed, plus more torque than your drive train can handle
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

4s lipo, I would run either a 21.5 to 17.5 sensored or 55 to 45t brushed. You won't get much better than your tekin PRO for brushed.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
4s lipo, I would run either a 21.5 to 17.5 sensored or 55 to 45t brushed. You won't get much better than your tekin PRO for brushed.

i was hopeing u would chime in! will high voltages burn out motors? i was reading up on the novak balistic crawlers and they were talking about 2-3s lipo inputs etc.... is this just what they speced them at or will higher voltages wreck them? could i run the novaks at a higher voltage? or is this a good way to be eating $80 motors?

and as far as not gettin much better them my fxrpro for brushed, there is your esc that will be goin in my next comp build
Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #5

I'm not sure what the rpm ratings are for the ballastic motors, but if all of them are the same (very likely) they make the recommendation based on what voltage the Novak ESC will take.

Yeah, there is my ESC too
Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

so with the recomendaions being based on what the esc will take, i most likely wouldnt burn out the motor with a higher voltage?

if i decide to go brushed, how well would your motors stand up in this appication?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #7

Right. As an example, I have ran 21.5 tekin motors on 6s no problem. Maybe a bit too fast for good low speed control, but you get the idea.

If you have the pro tekin (handwound) motor, my motor will be very close in performance.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

awsome thanks for the info! so hight voltages wont destrot motors, they will just need maintanance sooner and more often..

i was more inquireing to how your motors would stand up to the voltage of 4s+ lipos, i know that as far as preformance go's your stuff is top notch!!

thanks so much for the info and help, there is so much to learn about the RC stuff for a newb like me, that some times searching is just over whelming!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
If you can get a 14t puller, great fast speed, but as controllable and smooth as a high wound motor (55t) at low speed, plus more torque than your drive train can handle
I ran the 14t pullers from HH and I was not impressed with the start to crawl smoothness....
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #10

What ESC were you running crash? I have found them to have better low speed resolution than handwound motors, but not quite as smooth as a cheapie.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
What ESC were you running crash? I have found them to have better low speed resolution than handwound motors, but not quite as smooth as a cheapie.
FXR John. I tried every setting as for throttle control from the FXR and my DX3R and just could not get anything comparable to my 35t 540 can motors.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #12

If your 35t motor has weak (or standard fb3 ceramic) magnets, you will be hard pressed to find any powerful motor with better low speed control. The one damming thing about powerful magnets, it can ruin the low speed tractability.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I'm running a 21.5T LRP Crawler on 4s with a MM Pro, and it's the best combo I've found so far. No cogging on my LCC with this motor, great torque, great wheelspeed. I've been running a 13T pinion, but my motor stays cool enough that I will be trying out a 14T over the next few days.
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #14

Default what about a traxxas brushless system

velineon vxl 3s with 3500 brushless has a ton of power but probly not much low end control and not sure about the drag brake
4goodbuys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Default motors

i cant steer away from the holmes great motor insane torque
lowandslow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Fb3? The fb3 is a dry mAgnet has never been sold to go in a rc motor that I am aware of. The wet magnets only went down to fb5...which there are a few of the budget modifieds that used them. Most of our motors either used the fb6, which was mainly used in budget motors and the fb9 which is what was used in pretty much every high performance racing motor out there... The fb12 according to tdk has never been sold to rc motor company. Some companies have used other companies magnets but the fb line is from tdk....any company claiming to use a fb3 is probably full of it as they cost more than fb5 anyways. Dry molded magnets are mainly used when they need a funky magnet size...

And there is a trick we used to do to make the magnets less powerful on the reedy MVP....probably would work here if people had a problem with the magnets being too strong.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #17

Thats right, fb5 is the lower grade wet magnet. It has been a long time since I browsed tdk's site.