LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #21
Got Worms?

Do you have a link to the joystick you are using
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Wow. You guys have way to much time on your hands. Moa's, Dual esc's, tons of electrical knowledge and dont already have a fancy radio
ToyZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Do you have a link to the joystick you are using
The joystick is an ALPS Multi-Directional Stick Controller W/Push. I will attach front/back pictures. I think my explanations will make more sense to most people now that they can see what I am talking about. I used a piece of antenna tube to extend the joystick.

wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Default Proof of control

I have finally gone far enough with my project to have actually controlled real hardware. Using my microcontroller demo board and some creative software, I have produced a demo to show that I can read the steering input and reproduce it on all 5 channels. At this point I have full control and full freedom to do as I wish with all 5 channels.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #25

Uneducated question coming ... why not use a stick radio to control front and rear steering and each motor? I have a dx6i for heli's and seems to have adequate channels for any Crawler req's .. yeah is is not as intuitive as a pistol grip, but then again crawling really benefits by independent and simultaneous steering, speed and torque application. If I'm not too married or conditioned to using the pistol grip controller ... are there any limitations in using a stick radio? such as difficulty binding it to servo's or incompatibility between Specktrum radio and receivers with adequate torque needed to control a decent crawler?
Sokelobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokelobo View Post
are there any limitations in using a stick radio?
It appears to be quite common to see crawlers using stick radios. I don't think you will run into any limitations.

My project is as much for the challange as anything else. Over time it has been quite easy to modify the Traxxas TQ series of controllers by adding switches and trim pots. That is, up until the latest LINK HO series. I am able to take over the functionality electronically. My ideas have probably gone overboard, but I just wanted to see how much functionality could be added easily.

Other than that, this is probably the only 5-channel pistol controller out there (even though Traxxas calls it a 4 channel) and before modification it is only around $100 with spare receivers less than $40. I see the most desire for something like this being adjustable 3-pos 3rd channel for mechanical or punk dig plus 2 spares for winches, horns, etc...
Old 04-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAsummit View Post
It appears to be quite common to see crawlers using stick radios. I don't think you will run into any limitations.
it's common because people like the cheap 4+ channel radio and just learn to deal with sticks.
hands off to those that are comfortable and skilled with controlling 2 different functions with multi direction stick with a single finger.

I have no doubt people would say No to a pistol, Proof right here YOU and many others like me doing the Pistol conversion.

Awesome Build, awesome stick module !
thanks for listing what it is called.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

OUTSTANDING.

I've been looking for a joystick like that for my TQ3+3 Franken-troller
Could only source one and the size/cost made me rethink things...nicely done.

Last edited by WarMachine; 04-24-2010 at 05:33 PM.
WarMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I have decided that although I am sure I can implement items such as joysticks, I am going to skip them for now and focus this project. The focus will be to gain the most functionality I can squeeze out of a few toggle switches while not requiring someone to be a rocket scientist to set it up.

For steering and throttle (CH1 and CH2) I will let the TQ LINK functionality pass through which allows adjustment for dual-rate, exponential, endpoints, etc already.

I will keep the original red 2-pos thumb toggle and use it as a Primary/Secondary function switch.

There will be three 3-position toggle switches. Each of these will be assigned to CH3, CH4, and CH5 (you essentially assign these by what you plug into the receiver for those channels).

Each 3-position switch will have primary and secondary functionality as assigned by the red 2-pos thumb toggle. This allows for up to 6 assignments of functionality per 3-position switch on any given channel.

Functionality will be assiged to each of the 3-positions of each toggle switch individually. Functionality will include the following:
  • True Position (assign any arbitrary position from -100 to +100) (this is not analog, it is just an assignment of servo position for a given toggle position)
  • Mix from CH1 (assign Mix% -125 to +125, EPA1, EPA2, Sub Trim)
  • Mix from CH2 (assign Mix% 0 to +125)
  • Same as Primary (this position will duplicate Primary functionality when in secondary mode)

The True Position functionality should remove any limitation of having to pass through a mid setting to get to a far setting (instead of dig servo going from in/center/out for position 1/2/3 it could be set for out/in/center instead for example)

True Position could also be used for rear steering. In the primary mode it would be full left/center/full right. In the secondary mode it could be reduced left/center/reduced right.

True Position on a 3-pos toggle is not limited to just steering or dig. It can also be used for winches, punk dig, novak dig, etc or 2-pos applications.

Mix could be used for dig in a dual-esc situation. A 3-position toggle could be used for front dig/4WD/rear dig. You could assign the secondary functionality of the same 3-pos toggle to do the same thing, but with an assigned mix% insead.

Mix could also be used for steering. A 3-position toggle could be used for crab mix/front only/standard mix using the primary functionality and could also be assigned to rear steer only using the secondary functionality (true position left/center/right)

This should provide a ton of functionality and the menu system will be easy to use. Oh, and of course I will have model memory as well!

Last edited by wantAsummit; 04-30-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

this looks awesome, you have 2 months to figure it all out and make it easy enough for a monkey (me) to reproduce for my xr10 and novak dig m2

Also, subscribed
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I just wanted everyone to know that my project is finished and it was a success. Please see the thread for the completed transmitter here: My 5 Channel Traxxas Link H.O. TQ2/TQ3/TQ4 to TQ5 conversion is complete
Old 07-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #32
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAsummit View Post
The joystick is an ALPS Multi-Directional Stick Controller W/Push. I will attach front/back pictures. I think my explanations will make more sense to most people now that they can see what I am talking about. I used a piece of antenna tube to extend the joystick.

Where did you get that joystick, how much movement does it give you
Old 07-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Where did you get that joystick, how much movement does it give you
You can find the joystick here: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...soe4F3Ug%3d%3d

In the pictures, I had added a piece of antenna tube to add length. It is a great mini-joystick although I never ended up using it for my project.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:38 PM   #34
Got Worms?

Is it just two normal pots so i could hook them up to the 3 channel wires, signal, 0v, 5v, and basicaly have a mini stick radio type deal
Old 08-01-2010, 06:09 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Is it just two normal pots so i could hook them up to the 3 channel wires, signal, 0v, 5v, and basicaly have a mini stick radio type deal
Yes, it is just 2 normal potentiometers in this joystick. You can hook it up just like you described. I am looking forward to your build thread...
Old 08-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #36
Got Worms?

i was actually thinking of use it as a proportional winch controller. It says it has push, is that like a push button switch, or what does it do
Old 08-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
is that like a push button switch
Yes, you would press in on the joystick for a momentary switch.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #38
Got Worms?

how much travel does it give you such as up-down left right,