Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak goat $#!T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
it actually possible to solder a resistor into the blue wire on the sensor harness and trick the ESC into thinking any motor is a Novhack Crawler.
Doh! I wish I knew that sooner. More info anyway please. My 18.5 ballistic crawler wont be here for 2 more weeks. Thanks!
Knitewulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2010, 06:14 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
As long as it's the ballistic crawler you'll be fine, it actually possible to solder a resistor into the blue wire on the sensor harness and trick the ESC into thinking any motor is a Novhack Crawler. I also feel it was a bad move on Novak's part to force you to buy thier motors, the limited programability is a downside when compared to the MMP or a tekin system also.

What size resister?
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Sorry guys I don't have the specs on how to do it, I just know that's how the ESC tells a crawler motor from any other. JohnRobHolmes has posted before that it's possible, might wanna try to contact him for more info.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #24
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If I remember right, it is a 10k resistor that jumps to ground. Somebody with a novak motor will need to confirm.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #25
dkf
Rock Crawler

With all the other good escs on the market I can't think of any reason to buy a Novak. You get more for your money from other companies. Should have bought the MM Pro.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

I'd take it back and get the MM pro.

2 cell is for pansies anyways.

and the Crawler full on DB setting, is just as strong, if not better than the goats.

and I assume that you are running an axial or a Losi. keep the BL if its a losi, looked to hanfwound brushed if its an axial
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitewulfe View Post
Well I took everyones word on it and ordered a ballistic 18.5 crawler motor. I'm a bit upset because with the money I spent on the 2s and ballistic motor Separately I could have gotten the 3s combo. Oh well, I probably wouldn't use 3s much anyway.
Thats why you MUST research things before you buy! I'm sure if you used the SEARCH feature you would have found that somebody else prob experience this same problem..

I would also ask a MOD to fix your title to this thread, its not right..

With that said..
GO ORANGE!
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Best bet is to email Novak with the specific question, Tech@teamnovak.com

They'll shoot you strait. You could also give their CS department a call.

949-833-8873 Press 1 for Customer Service!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Well, I did research it, but not specifically for compatibility. Power capabilities aside, I've never heard of an ESC not working with another company's motor except for sensored/sensorless or brushed/brushless requirements.

Unfortunately I can't just take it back since I live in Korea and ordered it from Tower. I am putting it in my Creeper, but I'm not looking at serious comping with it. Actually its more for my wife.

For me its not as simple as just calling Novak. They are closed except during the time I need to sleep because of the time zone. I would have to stay up and lose 2-3 hours of sleep, then be tired at work all the next day.

By the way I wouldn't mind having the title changed, I didn't call it that to bash Novak really, more because it was funny. Get it Bull**** -> Goat****. Ok I guess its not that funny

Maybe I should have called it "Man Who Stares at Goat"?

Last edited by Knitewulfe; 04-16-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Email is almost as good as a call. CS@teamnovak.com, or tech@teamnovak.com both will get to the right people who have the answers.

JRH is correct, there is just a simple resistor inside the motor that the ESC looks for that value. So in theory, it would as simple as adding it to the Blue wire on the ESC.

Novak did this orginally, well because there were VERY few high turn BL motors. Using their type of Drag brake on a lower turn motor could be very bad for both the ESC and the motor. When the brake is working like it's supposed to, it's basically super strong. For even the heaviest rigs, you'll usually see them running setting 4 through 6.

What ever happens, Good Luck.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Ok, that is the most specific and reasonable explanation for this that I've heard. Thanks. That is much better than the response I got directly from novak stating that the blue wire is used to send crawler specific information to the motor.

The reason I didn't initially contact novak about compatibility before my purchase is that there was nothing to prompt me to do so. I have 6 brushless esc's and 7 brushless motors and have never ran into compatibility issues before. Anyway you set my mind at ease about ordering the ballistic 18.5 crawler motor for this setup. Still not happy about spending $200 that could have gone to a 3s combo on a 2s one though. I am anxious to see how it works with the proper motor. I'll take a look at that ballistic and see if I can figure out how to wire up the resistor and which one they use.

By the way do you mind if I copy your post over to rctech?

Tags
brakes, esc, goat, novak