Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak goat $#!T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs down Novak goat problem.

Just tried out my Novak goat brushless ESC. I have never been so disappointed with an RC product. I could have gotten an MMpro for just $20 more. I got the goat because it had a strong BEC, was sensored and most importantly it was advertised to have "features high-powered drag brakes" and "adjustable Active Hill/Drag Brakes that use battery power to slow the vehicle to a wheel-locking stop". Now I feel this is false advertising. The drag brakes in brushless mode have a maximum setting of 13.5%... 13.5%, come on, that will barely slow down my heavy truck on flat ground. I feel ripped off. I will seriously never buy another Novak product. Especially now that I found out they will not warranty internationally. Castle even covered the international shipping on my warranty repair.

Now I'm just trying to figure out if I am better off buying worm-drive axles or picking up a brushed motor and using it in brushed mode where it at least has a 90% setting for brakes, and leave my 21.5 sensored crawling motor collecting dust. Other option is to ebay the goat and pick up another MMpro with its 100% drag brakes.

**EDIT** I've since found out that the problem is a lack of compatibility of novak's ESC's with motors from other manufacturers.

Last edited by Knitewulfe; 04-16-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Knitewulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

have you actually tried the ESC with the 13.5% drag brake to see how it performs, or are you just bashing the product based on the number?

I would think that there is a reason it goes to 90% in brushed, but only 13.5% in brushless, maybe that's all it needs to do the same thing, being that they are different technologies.

I've got a goat and love it, but I also have it in a losi, so no need for the drag brakes
aconsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

13.5% of a Goat is a hell of a lot of power. Try it before you rant.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I run a goat in 2 of my rigs without any problems, and one of them weighs 8+ pounds.

I have a buddy that works for NOVAK, and he will be more then happy to prove you wrong!

Are you running the NOVAK brushless motor?

Last edited by Nor*CalDefender; 04-14-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Nor*CalDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

The Goat needs to be used with a Novak Crawling Motor for it to really act like a "novak crawler" system.

If you're using it with a non Novak motor, or a Novak non Crawling motor, the brakes will not really be strong enough for crawling.

Just out of curiosity, what motor are you using?
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I run the DB on my goat at halfway or less and it creeps real slow down 60 degree hills at 7 pounds, any more DB and the truck wants to flip if you give it throttle then let out. There's some room for improvement in how the DB works, but strength is far from an issue.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I ran the Goat combo 18.5 Novak for a little while. I was impressed with the drag brake and amount of power it put out.. But I had a problem with glitching... I had a DX3R radio system but still had problems.

Last edited by CRAWLERCRAZY; 04-15-2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: wrong motor described
CRAWLERCRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I have tried it, what gave you guys the Impression that I didn't. I am using an lrp 21.5 crawler motor. It barely slows the truck down. I guess Ill wait and see how it works in my creeper before I take a hammer to it, I just tried it in my scx10. If it works well with the novak motor then I guess I'll give novak the benefit of the doubt and shell out another $85 for a second motor. I can use the 21.5 in my scx then. Anyone have a link to a video that shows how It works on an incline? I don't want to be disappointed again. I used to be a novak fan, my first esc was a rooster, it's 12 years old and I still use it in my son's car.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

seriously my truck face plants if im not careful.....mind you my truck is a light 5.1 pounds...regardless i put the rooster system i had in my 2.2 in my scaler (goat 2s has twice as much braking) that weighs 7lbs and it hangs on near vertical walls........i agree about the braking power related with the novak crawler motor and esc combo........like most novak esc's they are designed to work with each other the closest thing ive seen in performance is a trinity duo............forgot to mention that i am now running a goat 2s in my 2.2 comp rig sorta kinda an axial rig

Last edited by flapjack; 04-14-2010 at 08:15 PM.
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

i really think you need to give it a try, my truck damn near flips over with it set to max, i tone it down to just under half, it holds, but not too hard just the way i drive it, but i don't do a lot of really steep inclines yet, i'm sure i will have to bump it up at some point. i don't think you will be disappointed.
es79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

it may be the motor you are using... i am running the 18.5 goat and never an issue in over a year and a half
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like I just have a bad combination then. I know that motor will hold with 100% brakes my other esc's so I guess I'll have to get the novak motor. I guess I should have gotten the combo to begin with. Still a bit worried about them not covering international warranties but I do have a Us address too.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitewulfe View Post
I have tried it, what gave you guys the Impression that I didn't. I am using an lrp 21.5 crawler motor. It barely slows the truck down. I guess Ill wait and see how it works in my creeper before I take a hammer to it, I just tried it in my scx10. If it works well with the novak motor then I guess I'll give novak the benefit of the doubt and shell out another $85 for a second motor. I can use the 21.5 in my scx then. Anyone have a link to a video that shows how It works on an incline? I don't want to be disappointed again. I used to be a novak fan, my first esc was a rooster, it's 12 years old and I still use it in my son's car.
There's your problem, you HAVE to use a Novak crawler motor. If you use any motor other than a NOVAK CRAWLER the ESC reverts to a Havoc with no drag brake and no instant reverse.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:28 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Well I took everyones word on it and ordered a ballistic 18.5 crawler motor. I'm a bit upset because with the money I spent on the 2s and ballistic motor Separately I could have gotten the 3s combo. Oh well, I probably wouldn't use 3s much anyway. Once I test it out I'll post up my impressions. Hopefully this thread can prevent someone else from making the same mistake.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I bought my goat used with no booklet. I am trying to set my drag brakes. How do I do this?
Dollarhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Go here and select your esc
http://teamnovak.com/download/instructions/index.html
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
There's your problem, you HAVE to use a Novak crawler motor. If you use any motor other than a NOVAK CRAWLER the ESC reverts to a Havoc with no drag brake and no instant reverse.
Yep and according to novak it's my fault for not reading the fine print which says if you use a novak ss motor it will default to non crawler mode. It says nothing about crawler motors from other manufacturers. That's not the kind of company I like to deal with. I'll stick with castle from now on.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I'll agree with you on sticking with castle.

and use it with most motors!!
cro-magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Just noticed the ballistic isn't on the compatibility list either. Guess I might be stuck with no drag brakes still.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #20
RCC Addict

As long as it's the ballistic crawler you'll be fine, it actually possible to solder a resistor into the blue wire on the sensor harness and trick the ESC into thinking any motor is a Novhack Crawler. I also feel it was a bad move on Novak's part to force you to buy thier motors, the limited programability is a downside when compared to the MMP or a tekin system also.

Tags
brakes, esc, goat, novak