RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Dual brushless motors and speed controls in Tamiya TXT-1 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/244647-dual-brushless-motors-speed-controls-tamiya-txt-1-a.html)

matrixman 04-17-2010 02:07 PM

???????Dual brushless motors and speed controls in Tamiya TXT-1

Hi i am getting ready to turn my tamiya TXT-1 into brushless power and noticed tower hobbies is selling a new integy brushless motor and speed control system for $124.99 and i wanted to know, if i take two of those speed controls and take a Y harness...plug both leads from the speed control that go into the receiver into the Y harness, then plug that single plug into the receiver, would i be then able to power two speed controls along with two of the brushless motors that come with the kit in my tamiya txt-1?? and simply solder one deans battery connector to each set of battery wires on each speed control and run a 7.2 or 8.4 volt battery on each speed control to power the truck?? because right now i have a super duty XR with two 7.2 volt batteries in the truck powering a 19.2 volt drill motor, so the truck already fits two batteries.

Also im installing a Emaxx transmission so it will take the power

benoj 04-17-2010 06:14 PM

yes u can have a y harness for the esc's and run 1 battery for each no problem

matrixman 04-17-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benoj (Post 2413062)
yes u can have a y harness for the esc's and run 1 battery for each no problem

lolololo...very nice!!!!!! thank you

Duuuuuuuude 04-17-2010 10:33 PM

1. When running dual esc's you need to disconnect the red wire from one of them, doesn't matter which. You can't have 2 esc's powering one receiver.

2. Why waste money on Integy?

matrixman 04-18-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 2413423)
1. When running dual esc's you need to disconnect the red wire from one of them, doesn't matter which. You can't have 2 esc's powering one receiver.

2. Why waste money on Integy?

Well i saw a nice deal for the brushless motor and speed control for $127...now i figured that these brushless motors have been out long enough now that they are getting easier and cheaper to make just like anything else..and since on a brushless motor there is no comutator to wear out and the motor has ball bearings, cheap or not of a company..it should do the same thing and i have have a dual brushless motor and speed control set up in my TXT-1 for much cheaper than if i were to go novak or anything else...i knew the day would come when these brushless motors would come much cheaper, and as i said about how the brushless motor is constructed,then it should not matter the brand....i hope

matrixman 04-18-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrixman (Post 2413945)
Well i saw a nice deal for the brushless motor and speed control for $127...now i figured that these brushless motors have been out long enough now that they are getting easier and cheaper to make just like anything else..and since on a brushless motor there is no comutator to wear out and the motor has ball bearings, cheap or not of a company..it should do the same thing and i have have a dual brushless motor and speed control set up in my TXT-1 for much cheaper than if i were to go novak or anything else...i knew the day would come when these brushless motors would come much cheaper, and as i said about how the brushless motor is constructed,then it should not matter the brand....i hope

By cutting one of the red wires,? you mean cut one of the red power wires coming from the speed control where it will plug into in my case the Y harness? so that the signal will still be received from the receiver but power not going inot it from the speed control??

Duuuuuuuude 04-18-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrixman (Post 2413945)

lol...I asked why integy, not brushless. Integy tends to produce cheap crap and can't be bothered to do any product developement themselves. Basically they piggyback off of everyone elses hard work. But good luck! "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrixman (Post 2413947)
By cutting one of the red wires,? you mean cut one of the red power wires coming from the speed control where it will plug into in my case the Y harness? so that the signal will still be received from the receiver but power not going inot it from the speed control??

Yes. Though you don't have to "cut" it, just remove it from the plug and cover it.

benoj 04-18-2010 01:22 PM

the integy brushless looks just like the hobbyking brushless i do believe

matrixman 04-18-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 2413988)
lol...I asked why integy, not brushless. Integy tends to produce cheap crap and can't be bothered to do any product developement themselves. Basically they piggyback off of everyone elses hard work. But good luck! "thumbsup"

Yes. Though you don't have to "cut" it, just remove it from the plug and cover it.

you asked and i told you....basically integy is the only brand i found so far anyway that will give my a brushless motor and spped control for the brushless motor for $127...lol.....i dont know about you but im sure it will give more power than the last power modd i was going to do witch was just hook up two monster power 550 motors to my super duty XR...lol...if you know of something better for the same $127 please let me know

matrixman 04-18-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 2413988)

how do i remove one of the wires from the plug?? and also by this you mean i only need power coming from one of the batterys and one of the speed controls??

Espeefan 04-18-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrixman (Post 2414089)
how do i remove one of the wires from the plug?? and also by this you mean i only need power coming from one of the batterys and one of the speed controls??

Take a small screwdriver and gently pry the plastic plug's tab, which holds the red wire and it's pin inside the plug, and tug on the wire. It should easily pull out of the plastic plug itself. This way you can always re-insert it, if you want to use it again. Bend the wire back, out of the way, put a little heat shrink on the pin of the red wire, or wrap it with some tape to keep it isolated.

matrixman 04-18-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espeefan (Post 2414142)
Take a small screwdriver and gently pry the plastic plug's tab, which holds the red wire and it's pin inside the plug, and tug on the wire. It should easily pull out of the plastic plug itself. This way you can always re-insert it, if you want to use it again. Bend the wire back, out of the way, put a little heat shrink on the pin of the red wire, or wrap it with some tape to keep it isolated.

Thanks, do you think im waisting my money on the Integy brushless setup for $127?? what i was explaining before was that..why i did not feel a cheap brand like integy would be badd, was because its a brushless motor...and what i mean is that there is no commutator to wear out...and its got bearings...thats what i meant when the other member said " i did not ask why you are going brushless, i asked why integy" and this is what i mean that because of the new mechanical platform of a brushless system having no brushes to drag on any mechanical parts and it has bearings....i think all companys weather cheap or not should be able to produce a decent brushless motor that im sure would give me more power than a Monster power 550 brushed set up....right????

Duuuuuuuude 04-18-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrixman (Post 2414157)
Thanks, do you think im waisting my money on the Integy brushless setup for $127?? what i was explaining before was that..why i did not feel a cheap brand like integy would be badd, was because its a brushless motor...and what i mean is that there is no commutator to wear out...and its got bearings...thats what i meant when the other member said " i did not ask why you are going brushless, i asked why integy" and this is what i mean that because of the new mechanical platform of a brushless system having no brushes to drag on any mechanical parts and it has bearings....i think all companys weather cheap or not should be able to produce a decent brushless motor that im sure would give me more power than a Monster power 550 brushed set up....right????

The other brands are more expensive for a reason. One of those reasons is killer customer support. If you blow something up or have an issue, you can get tech support, a warranty that is actually usable, and get your part repaired or replaced with little drama and out of pocket cost. Integy does not offer that level of support at all. If there is a problem, you are more than likely going to be out of $127.

jafa0 04-18-2010 06:42 PM

Sounds like you are planning on running both motor/trans kits to a single e-max trans. you may find that one of the motors, and/or speed controls is running warmer than the other because of suttle differences in them(especially with Integy's quality issues). Why not run one big brushless like a Mamba Monster run both batteries to it and have big power. big reliablility and a top quality product. I think you can pick up a Mamba monster setup for about $275 nowadays. Honestly if you are mainly crawling, one standard size brushless motor has a lot of power. Holmes crawlmasters, enroute spark and such have monstrous power. rip all the teeth right off a berg third gear before you know whats happening.:shock:

matrixman 04-18-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 2414377)
The other brands are more expensive for a reason. One of those reasons is killer customer support. If you blow something up or have an issue, you can get tech support, a warranty that is actually usable, and get your part repaired or replaced with little drama and out of pocket cost. Integy does not offer that level of support at all. If there is a problem, you are more than likely going to be out of $127.

Yeah i here you there...although i have not seen a Mamba system for my truck under $500....but im going to look now...as farr as my reasons im wanting to build a show type truck with emence power and figured two brushless motors and speed controls would do that...lol..two mamba systems would cost an arm and a leg...trust me im aware of all the good brands i was just comming from a technical point of view that because of the mechanics of a brushless motor in general...i didnt feel that even a company as cheap as integy could screw it up do to the fact that again there is ball bearings in it and no direct resistence on the communtator

matrixman 04-18-2010 06:59 PM

I just found a Mamba system for 1/8 scale trucks and buggies but $295 is alot to swallow for one motor...although that one motor is probally almost twice the power as what i want...i would like to run two of these setups

Duuuuuuuude 04-18-2010 08:26 PM

Quality will rule over quantity any day of the week.

A big box of polished turds is still a box of turds. "thumbsup"

Espeefan 04-18-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrixman (Post 2414157)

That's a really good question, and one I do not know the answer to. Integy does have a rep for sometimes turning out cheap knock offs of similar products offered by well known names, but the thing is Integy also has a decent product that pops up from time to time as well. Just for the sake of electronics, I would try to stick to a well known brand. The thing is electronics are not something to skimp on. They are an investment. You can always use electronics in another build someday, when you get tired of this or that truck. Your theory of a cheap brushless system being better then no brushless system might make a little sense, but the old saying goes 'you get what you pay for'. I would echo what the others have said. Why not get yourself a different, single motor, single ESC set-up, that puts out as much, if not more power then a dual motor, dual ESC combo? Double up on the same bettery packs, but in series, and it will be much more powerful. Most 7.2 brushless systems are ment more for the lighter cars and stadium trucks. Not often ment for monster trucks. Chances are you could seriously over tax the Integy system with a truck as big and heavy as the TXT-1. Do you know any specs on the Integy system? Compare them to something like a Novak HV, which is designed for a monster truck. Just checking prices on the Noavk HV, it's about $161 on Tower. Boy, I remember when they were brand new and much more expensive! Novak has great customer service too.

matrixman 04-18-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 2414634)
Quality will rule over quantity any day of the week.

A big box of polished turds is still a box of turds. "thumbsup"

lol...yeah i always agreed with you there...its just that,and im sure you can relate?? imagine being able to install twinn brushless motors and speed controls in a TXT-1 for only $257???8)8) but yeah if there not good ones then whats the point

Duuuuuuuude 04-18-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrixman (Post 2414653)
lol...yeah i always agreed with you there...its just that,and im sure you can relate?? Imagine being able to install twinn brushless motors and speed controls in a txt-1 for only $257???8)8) but yeah if there not good ones then whats the point

step away from the shiny!