Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Setting up Futaba 3PM for 4ws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #21
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
I think the only way to have independant rear steer is to get a 4+ channel stick radio. That way you can have the right (or left) stick controll the front steer and the other stick control the rear steer. I have a 6 channel JR computer radio (aircraft) that I messed around with in my backyard to see if I could work the 2 sticks, and it's hard as hell to get used to. I found that even with the added advantage of independant rear steer I couldn't hit lines I could easily make with my pistol radio and just 2WS. Apparently, I become retarded when I try to coordinate my two left thumbs.
You can do independent rear steer with a modified Traxxas TQ3, a Spektrum DX3 (not 3.0), or Nomadio 4ch wheel radio. There are few other 3ch wheel radio's that can be used too.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

yepy, i spent 2hrs w/ the book in hand trying to do somthign liek this last ngiht and managed to figure out nothing. tonight ill use this and hope for a bette rend result!.

thanks for the write up!
carzlutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I have a question on this radio, I want to run 2 esc's and front steering. My question is can I mix the rear esc on the 3rd channel and switch it on and off for dig, also could it be posible to change the trim on the 3rd channel on the fly while it is un mixed so that I can dissingage the drag brake on the rear esc for a free wheel. It will be brushless motors.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

ok, iv played w/ this a lot over the last few days, i have 2 spare servo's powerd off a 4 AA bat pack on my desk. iv managed to get my steering working like this..... i have 4 count them 4 diffrent steering settings. the 4th setting is kind of a quick adjustment that can be made in under 7.5 seconds w/ out looking at the remote.

setting 1, standard front steering

setting 2, 4 wheel steering (sw2 on)

setting 3, crab walk steering (sw2 on w/ sw1 mixed)

setting 4, rear steering (sw2 on w/ sw1 mixed and D/R ST set to "0")

in order to get the rear only steering i set up my "dt3" to be the D/R-ST adjustment setting. when in crab walk mode i set my D/R-ST to "0" this disables the front servo from operatin/moving and leaves me with rear steering only!....... really simple and quick to change it being that i can hit the button while im driving w/ out doing anything that would take my eyes off whats going on around me. im stoked!... sorry if i dont use the proper terms or anything while trying to explane this, im shooting from the hip on how i did this.

Last edited by carzlutt; 10-07-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
I have a question on this radio, I want to run 2 esc's and front steering. My question is can I mix the rear esc on the 3rd channel and switch it on and off for dig, also could it be posible to change the trim on the 3rd channel on the fly while it is un mixed so that I can dissingage the drag brake on the rear esc for a free wheel. It will be brushless motors.

with all the playing around iv been doing, i almost bet u could do your drag brake to free wheel setting the same way i set up my crab walk to rear steering, this would let u fine tune your drag brake from 100% on to 0% on = free wheel i bet. well....... given your esc would take well to working with the raido like this. but hay, i could be wrong. im bassing all this off what iv played w/ just about each night in bed or watching tv trying to force my self to learn what each thing on this silly raido can do. im not sure ud be able to set up a "simulated" rig that works w/ just a few pieces and test away like i did but.. it would be fun to try ahahah!..... if u get it to work plz post how u did.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #26

I didn't want to start another topic just for this, has anyone got a picture of the inside of a 3PM (specifically where SW1 is connected to on the circuit boards)

The reason I ask is I have a cheap 3PM knockoff, it seems to have everything except the actual switch itself.

Thanks
Brendan
Jaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

I just got this radio today and did a test setup using the info posted here, seems like it will work great once I put it all into my truck! The 3PM seems like a really good radio for the price.

thanks for the info!
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #28
Oliver Custom Knives

bbeaty , you are the MAN , you should send these instructions to Futaba to put in their manual. Piece of cake , if you have the manual. Thanks for posting this.

Dwane
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #29

Thanx very much for the info bbeaty. Now im considering 4ws now that i know i can set it up nicely. i wouold have probably never figured out how to program it on my own . I agree with DwaneO that Futuba should put it in the instruction manuel.
xtremecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #30

i got rws now works asome thanx to you bbeaty
xtremecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:34 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the setup notes/tips, works perfect , though on my fasst 3pm, I have one value set to +/- 100% and the other set to +/- 60% to get equal travel, anyone else have values with that much difference ?
I get really good turning radius so I dont care just wondering if I am missing something ?
Thanks again for the setup procedure
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Worked like a charm on my first try!

I haven't a clue what all those settings were that I was changing.

Cheers!
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #33

After reading this post, it made me go out and buy a 3PM. This radio is awesome.

bbeaty you the man!
cyclone-charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #34

Default nice

works great now thanks a millon!
AKEXTREMEMOTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:15 AM   #35

Howdy,

Just picked up the 4PK and this radio is the cats ass for 4WS. I've set it for normal or crab walk and you can control the rear steering independently (I've set mine as the thumbwheel).
poormanshummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #36

OK, so I got a 3pm, a couple hitec servos and a R133F receiver from a buddy who ran the radio on a different rig, not sure what it was.

I have tried reading the owners manual for the 3pm online to set up a new model for new settings and such because I cant for the life of me figure out how to delete the original settings. But, even with reading the manual and this writeup I just do not understand how this thing works.

I have never dealt with a programmable radio before and I am at a loss as to how this thing works.

How do I set a new model with all settings at zero or default, and then start adjusting individual pages for this selectable 4ws setup.

Application is in a HPI Wheely King.

Feel free to PM instread of post answer

PCK_4xCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

I just spent three hours trying to figure this out. Found this thread, did what you said(even though I don't have a clue what I really did) and it is now working. Thank you very much. Now I have got to get to bed since it is waaaaay past this old man's bedtime.
h2daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #38

PCK 4xCustoms: You can use the procedure below in order to clear the setting for the model memories one at a time:

1. First select the model in which you wish to reset.

2. Turn off the radio. Press and hold the SEL button and turn back on the radio in order to enter the setup mode. The screen will display SYSTEM when in the setup mode.

3. When in setup mode, press the SEL button a couple of times to cycle through the menus screens until until the display reads CLR in the top right corner.

4. Hold down the plus and minus buttons simultaneously, you will hear a beep and the model entry will be cleared and the radio will revert back to the factory settings for this model entry.

bbeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

I realize this is a really old thread, but THANKS.........

I never knew my transmitter could do so much.
I just finished this setup and now I have proper steering on my new crawler.
now if only my wheels/tires package would arrive before the weekend......

Harry
Old Sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #40

Default I can't get the rear

I have followed this to the "T" and no rear steering at all from the 3ch. I have double checked everything again and again. it's not the servo, it works when I have both servos split off of ch 1 , but all I get is crawl. I am new to programing remotes, this is my first crawler, but not new to the hobby. these instructions get me no further then where I was originally stuck. thanks for listening and hope someone is reading.
dvsgod is offline   Reply With Quote