RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Elliptic motor brushes hard to find? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/251470-elliptic-motor-brushes-hard-find.html)

MadForce 05-25-2010 03:59 PM

Elliptic motor brushes hard to find?

A few days ago I unearthed an old Orion motor that uses elliptic shaped brushes.
Today I was fooling around in tower, a-main etc and it seems that they are almost impossible to get.
Is it so, or was I too bored to search more thoroughly the web for them?:mrgreen:

killswitch 05-25-2010 05:27 PM

unfortunately, brushes are becoming scarce via the regular hobby channels... contact eddieO, Im sure he has what you need or can point you in th right direction to finding what you need.

EddieO 05-25-2010 06:40 PM

I don't recall that name.....especially for an orion motor...

Can you send me a pic of the endbell, brush hood and brush? I am sure I have them.....I had everything orion sold, just never heard them called that name....

Later EddieO

losikid 05-25-2010 07:16 PM

holmes hobby was selling some eleptical brush motors not to long ago, he might know too where to get some

EddieO 05-25-2010 07:21 PM

He had the trinity cobalt motors....they used the ecplise brush....totally different and certainly will not fit in any orion motor. I believe thats what he was saying.

Later EddieO

Knitewulfe 05-25-2010 07:40 PM

I was thinking he had Orions too but just checked his site and they are epics.

I was having such a hard time even finding standard brushes in Korea I switched everything over to brushless. Strange too because they still stock more brushed than brushless setups here.

EddieO 05-25-2010 08:03 PM

I have TONS of almost every brush.....just pm me!

Later EddieO

MadForce 05-26-2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieO (Post 2471818)
I don't recall that name.....especially for an orion motor...

Can you send me a pic of the endbell, brush hood and brush? I am sure I have them.....I had everything orion sold, just never heard them called that name....

Later EddieO

Definitely an Orion. The motor is a Jansen edition 8x1. Looks like this:

http://www.infernosonly.com/v/vspfil...ORI29096-2.jpg

Not any good for crawling at that wind count, but the magnets are in great condition, so is the can and end bell.
The local Orion dealer said he might have a couple of pairs of brushes left.
If he doesn't you will be hearing from me soon!

EddieO 05-26-2010 08:34 AM

The Oscar Jansen editions used the smaller brush......they had them forever, but only the team guys ran them. Oscar sent me some from europe. I am pretty sure I have them, but I have to look.

Do me a favor and take a pair of calipers and measure the brushes (diameter), just to make sure.

Very few hobby shops got these motors......especially in the US. They more than likely have regular V2 brushes, which will NOT even come close to fitting....

I'll look through what I can later today after I am out of class. A lot of my brushes are still put up, but I think I know where they are.

Later EddieO

killswitch 05-26-2010 09:01 AM

I wondered what the smaller v2 brushes were for. One of the orion team drivers gave me 2 pair of those at the snowbirds the last year I went and I pitched them because they didnt fit a single V2 endbell I had.

EddieO 05-26-2010 10:54 AM

Oscar told me they were originally made for 1/12th scale....less resistance on the comm, lower amp draw, etc, etc.....they tried them in touring car and they were simply better. Little do people know, but literally for over 2+ years, pretty much all team orion's major drivers were running them at big races....Oscar and Joe kept me supplied with brushes, springs and endbells for my top mod guys to run at big events. I remember feeling special, as I was the only OEM Oscar hooked up with the new endbells.

I never ordered any of the oscar edition motors though, as they were never available OEM....but the brushes were and I think we got some black endbells.....they all be gone now!

Later EddieO