Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: your opinions/feedback . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default your opinions/feedback . . .

so im looking for a new radio . . . . and ive narrowed it down to a few radios . . .

traxxas tq 2.4ghz

futaba 3pm 2.4ghz (would like 3pmx, but budget is low)

spektrum dx3e (preferably R but i dont have the budget)

now, ive been searching for about an hour now and i can't seem to find the info I NEED, so this is the info i think YOU need

i plan on having more than one rig (bad for the dx3e), prefer to keep budget below 150, min. 3ch for dig on the comp rig, ease of use, easy programing, longevity, durability, and if i can think of more ill post but you get the idea.

so of those radios what do you people think?

thanks for the help

Chappy
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Of the two listed, I would take the Spectrum, BUT we at Hitec have a cheaper 3ch, 2.4gHz radio, with 10 or 20 model memory, and the 3rd chanel switch is easier to use than Futaba's clunky slide IMHO, and I used the 3pm for years before the 4PK and before I went to Hitec.

The low end model is listed below, followed by the slightly higher end model. Either should run way under $150.

Aggressor SRX PRO 2.4: 3 Channel 2.4GHz DSSS Computer Radio System

Looking for a feature packed radio for your car or boat? Then take a look at the 2.4GHz SRX Pro. This three-channel
pistol grip computer radio system is a great upgrade from the stock radio systems available with most RTR packages.
Easy to install, the SRX uses our 2.4GHz DSSS technology for a "rock solid" signal. With ten model memories and four
character model naming, the SRX is the only radio you need for your whole fleet of cars, trucks, buggies, and boats.
Programmable Features

• Steering Dual Rate
• Adjustable Steering, Brake and Acceleration Rates
• Steering and Throttle Exponential Rates
• Servo Reversing
• End Point Adjustments
• Sub Trims for Quick and Easy Set-up
• Idle Up• Timer• Steering & throttle Expo
Features

• Hitec 2.4GHz DSSS
• Brake ATL Switch
• Dual Mode 3rd Channel (shift or linear)
• Brake Lever Travel Limiter
• 7msec.High Response Mode (14ms. Normal)
• Steering Wheel Tension Adjust
• Progressive Spring Steering• Transmitter Battery Charging Jack• 10 Model Memories• Two Speed Menu Scrolling• 4 Character Model Naming• 3 Channel DSSS Micro Receiver
Available Models
  • Stock #130241 Standard Aggressor SRX Pro System Transmitter, Atom 3 Micro Receiver, (1) HS-5485HB Digital Servo, requires ( AA batteries
  • Stock #130242 Aggressor SRX Pro Transmitter & Receiver only Transmitter and Atom 3 Micro Receiver, requires ( AA batteries
  • Stock #130245 Standard Aggressor SRX Pro Value Combo Transmitter and (2) Atom 3 Micro Receivers, requires ( AA batteries
This is what I run:

Aggressor CRX - 2.4GHz

Additional Views
  • 3rd channel switch:
Considered a top level competition grade FM surface radio system, while still keeping the sport user in mind, the Aggressor CRX has all the features of radios costing $100 more. With 3-channels, 20-model memories, a high definition graphic LCD display, digital trims, push button third channel shift, and easy to program user interface, the CRX is a favorite with racers and back yard bashers.
Features

• 3 Channel FM
• Brake ATL switch brake lever travel limiter
• Dual Rate Steering
• Third channel "Shifting" button
• Steering wheel tension adjustment
• Third channel "Linear" digital trim
• Trim center audible verification• Digital Trims• Transmitter Low Battery Alarm• RF Indicator light• Interchangeable assorted color rubber grip pads in two sizes
• Two-speed menu scrolling• Model Naming (6 Characters)• Model select (20 models)• Sub-Trims• EPA (End Point Adjustment)• Ch #3 Switch Set (Shift, Linear)• ABS (Anti-Lock Braking)• Steering and Thrittle Exponential travel• Steering to Aux/Throttle to Aux Mixing• Timer (Up/Down)• Model Copy• Servo Reversing• RF Indicator Light• Model Reset (Factory default)• Total Transmitter "On" Time Timer• 2.4GHz Compatible with aftermarket module• High Definition / Multi-pixel LCD DisplayAvailable Models
  • Stock #127271 27MHz Transmitter, DCX Receiver, (1) HS-325HB Servo, with Rechargeable Transmitter Batteries, AC Charger and "Dry" Battery Box
  • Stock #127751 75MHz Transmitter, DCX Receiver, (1) HS-325HB Servo, with Rechargeable Transmitter Batteries, AC Charger and "Dry" Battery Box
  • Stock #127752 75MHz Transmitter only with SPECTRA, with Rechargeable Transmitter Batteries, AC Charger
  • Stock #127758 75MHz Transmitter Only, Fixed Frequency Module and Dry System, no Battery

Last edited by PaloAltoK5; 06-30-2010 at 10:14 PM.
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I think ya ought to save up alittle more and go with the 3pm x. Best bang for the buck crawler radio. I don't know anything about the hitec (might be ok but not much cheaper). Make sure ya get something with a real 3 position 3rd channel.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
Make sure ya get something with a real 3 position 3rd channel.
to be totally honest, if you are just planning on using it to comp 2.2's, a 2 position 3rd channel will work just fine. you won't get freewheel (that is if you are running a shafty...), but i have seen more guys get in trouble trying to use freewheel than if they would of just locked their rear axle....

bottomline, get what you like that is within your budget!!!
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

That Agressor looks to be a decent radio system. Like was mentioned before, make sure the third channel switch has all the positions that you need. I would add that you want to make sure the 3rd channel has end-point adjustments. Without 3rd channel EPA, you'll be burning through dig servos quickly. I would probably say to go with the agressor or the futaba, simply because you want multi model memory. If that were'nt a factor, I would say to go with the Spektrum.
celsiusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsiusprime View Post
That Agressor looks to be a decent radio system. Like was mentioned before, make sure the third channel switch has all the positions that you need. I would add that you want to make sure the 3rd channel has end-point adjustments. Without 3rd channel EPA, you'll be burning through dig servos quickly. I would probably say to go with the agressor or the futaba, simply because you want multi model memory. If that were'nt a factor, I would say to go with the Spektrum.
Fortunately for me, the Agressor does have 3rd channel EPA's, it works well with my setup, and it's a comfortable position for the 3rd channel switch.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The DX3E has all the features you need and with the money you save buying 1 DX3E you could probably afford to buy another DX3E to go with your new vehicle late on.

The 3PM would also be nice but for the price of an extra receiver you could almost afford to buy another DX3E.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
RCC Addict

You will want a three position switch on the 3rd channel end of story. There is more to it than three wheeling and why lock yourself down when you never know what the future will hold. You may not need it today but if you stay in the crawler part of the hobby you will.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

wow thanks a lot everyone . . . im gonna have to look into that agressor a little more . . . is there somewhere i can find more info on it, and where i can buy it and whatnot?
Old 07-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoK5 View Post
Fortunately for me, the Agressor does have 3rd channel EPA's, it works well with my setup, and it's a comfortable position for the 3rd channel switch.

which agressor do you have? the crx or srx?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

anyone know if the futaba 3pm 2.4ghz has a 3pos 3rd channel?
Old 07-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Also with the dx3e you don't actually need another radio for each rx, as long as you use dsm and not dsm2 rx's. It will bind automatically, you will just have to adjust trims and channel reversing switches each time you swap rigs. I am using a losi 2.4 tx that came with my strike with 2 other vehicles the same way, it's not that big of a hassle to change trims and reversing switches when moving from go fast to crawler and back. Just something to think on.
cbtu0914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy4o View Post
anyone know if the futaba 3pm 2.4ghz has a 3pos 3rd channel?
The older 3pm does not have a three position switch. Ya need some kind of voodoo magic engineering degree to get the two switches to do anything near 3 positions? The 3pm x switches can be as many positions as ya want. A BIG improvement!

Last edited by oldhippie; 07-04-2010 at 12:42 AM.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy4o View Post
which agressor do you have? the crx or srx?
I use the CRX. It has the 20 model memory, and the receivers aren't too expensive. One of the options comes with multiple receivers. The only thing I do different than a stock radio is add some handlebar wrap to the grip, helps keep the sweaty palms from letting the radio slip! ;)

Most, if not all Hobby Towns carry them, as well as RPP.

If you want to find out everything new at Hitec, visit: http://www.hitecrcd.com

The website get's updated pretty regularly.

Also, If you are in the area, Hitec/RCD/Multiplex will be at the iHobby Expo in Chicago(Oct) where you can ask us anything you want, in person. Also, my current club, the SCRCrawlers.com in association with Tekin will have a large crawler course set up for demonstration and testing. Hope to see you there!!