Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Bad motor? (video)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Bad motor? (video)

After diagnosing my trucks problems, I think I've finally narrowed it down to the motor. The problem started happening after soldering wires from the speed control onto the tabs on the motor. Maybe flux got onto the wires/brushes? In any case, you can see the motor will cut out after being used for any period of time and will work again if I turn it by hand. I'd just like to clarify with the experts here to make sure I have a bad motor on my hands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPIrJAgZnfU
generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks and sounds like a hung brush. Try taking them out and see if there is a chip or what not. Make sure your springs are giving good tension. If that doesn't work, take apart the motor and examine the comm for grooves that the brush may be getting stuck on.....the comm may need to be cut. Make sure there is nothing like a rock, washer, pubic hair, etc that may of gotten inside the motor and is causing it to hang up. They typically love to hide by the magnets, usually at the bottom of the can...

And worst case, you have a shorted armature....which would suck....no way to fix it, except by replacing it.

WTF were using flux for to solder on the brush tabs?

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Damn ill second a hung brush, or jacked up comm
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Solder on the tabs was heated then cooled numerous times and eventually got so hard that my soldering iron wouldn't melt it, that's my theory at least. My roomate thought flux would help melt the solder and help it flow better. Unfortunately it got a little messy! Had I known that causes problems with motors, I would have done without it. How does one clean brushes or the "comm"? I think I found another thread showing how to clean the brushes with a can of compressed air.

Seriously thinking about ditching this Integy shit for a Holmes 40t Torquemaster anyway Just wanted to clarify that the motor is the problem
Old 07-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Well the Integy motor was indeed bad. I bought a Fantom Blitz 45t and am very happy with the way the truck is working right now!