Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Am I killing my servos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Am I killing my servos?

I just got an outcry esc, single motor one. It has a 6v 5a bec. I am running the cheapo tower pro 995 servos. The servos say Operation Voltage : 4.8 - 7.2Volts. I am running 2/3a 7 cell batterys. Well on my 1st battery pack everything was great. But a few days later on my 2nd pack, the servo did not want to respond every time. And was getting hot to the touch. The esc is new but the servo is not. I am sure the servo is toast, I have more on the way. Is it that the servo cant take it, or just a crapy servo and was just time to go?
racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Those servos are not the greatest. It was probably just its time to go. It should handle the voltage from the esc fine.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

There is a reason those servos are so cheap but if ya get a good one they are ok. Make sure your epas are set correctly and not bottoming out.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

ya those 995mg's are known for being crap the ones to get if stuck on tower pro are the 946r's i think is what they are
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I used to use those servo's but they didn't last long. Now running a Hitec servo and its going on a 1 1/2 years old.
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have one of the 946's and for the money it's been a good servo and I'm probably gonna order a couple of spares. It's no 7950 or anything, but then again it was only $12. I have heard of people having overheating problems with the 995 though.
cbtu0914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have a few of the 995s but I will try the 946s when they all die. And even a new 995 gets warm after about 3/4 pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtu0914 View Post
I have one of the 946's and for the money it's been a good servo and I'm probably gonna order a couple of spares. It's no 7950 or anything, but then again it was only $12. I have heard of people having overheating problems with the 995 though.
racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut View Post
I have a few of the 995s but I will try the 946s when they all die. And even a new 995 gets warm after about 3/4 pack.
There's a very good chance that the 995s can't handle the slightly higher voltage of your lipo. It really sounds like it from what you are saying about a brand new getting warm. Not only do lipos have a higher end voltage when fully charged, they also maintain a higher voltage for a longer period than a similar capacity Nimh pack. The higher voltage for a longer period can result in more heat resulting from the motor and servo circuit board. Excessive heat will eventually kill your servo motor and/or circuit board.

The other point about the EPA adjustment also plays a factor because if you have it maxed out, it will cause your servo to overdraw current resulting in the same heat issue. This would be even further compounded if you are putting your servo under a lot of stress for an extended period of time.
DNAMRC is offline   Reply With Quote