Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Running Mamba 25 ESC on new comp crawler, reasonable motor suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Running Mamba 25 ESC on new comp crawler, reasonable motor suggestions?

Hey guys, Just wanted to pick your brains for a bit: I am rebuilding my TLT-based comp crawler and I decided to yank out my Mamba 25 ESC from my mini-T (it'll never miss it, I rarely run it anymore) and reprogram it for the crawler.

Thing is, I had a brushed setup with my old ESC (Integy Lathe 55T) and I am debating whether I should run this motor for a few more times or just take that plunge and get a decent all-purpose comp BL motor. (Actually, it would help me a good deal if someone could point the way or otherwise post a wiring schematic for a BL ESC-to-brushed motor setup, lol!)

I am not too familiar with the current crawler BL motors, hot setups, etc... So any help here would be appreciated! Or at least a link pointing to the correct thread, really. (my searches have failed me, *sob*)
dreadshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

If you have a brushed set up you can use, just use that.
As far as setting up a brushless system, there is nothing different either then 1 more wire(2 if sensored). Instead of having red and black, you have A,B,C
Fattymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:37 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Personally, I wouldn't use that Mamba 25 for your TLT. It can only handle 25A, so there is a good chance you could fry the ESC with a 550 motor. A decent brushed ESC and good crawler/lathe motor should do the trick.
DNAMRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I used the Mamba 25 with the Holmes Outrunners for a long time. If you run it on three cells it helps keep the ampdraw down.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I run the Mamba 25 with an outrunner in my scaler on 3 cells. It hold up like a champ. The trick is making certain that you run a BEC.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Oh wow, I had completely forgotten about Holmes Hobbies... After sleeping on it a bit, and also waking up to a few more suggestions, The Outrunners seem like a good idea, actually! Both the revolver and the original outrunner are right in my price range, so they should do alright!

Since I was planning on buying either a new ESC or motor, I think what I'll do is throw in the Integy 55T (I have two) anyway and run 'em til they fry or I go ahead and pick up the Revolver.

All I really need to figure out now is this: with a brushed motor to BL ESC- what is the connection setup? black to (-) and red to (+), and put a rubber cap on the white/neutral? I apologize, but I am still a bit unclear on what to do here..

Also- thank you very much for all the help so far! I really appreciate it!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

If these guys have done it successfully, then it is possible, but you need to make sure you set it up the same way they did or you risk damaging your ESC especially since it wasn't designed to be used this way.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If i'm not mistaken the mamba 25 is strictly brushless only. I could be wrong, but when I was wantin to do the same thing you are, I was told that it was strictly brushless. Go to Holmes Hobbies help section & ask him his opinion.
TONKA TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONKA TOY View Post
If i'm not mistaken the mamba 25 is strictly brushless only. I could be wrong, but when I was wantin to do the same thing you are, I was told that it was strictly brushless. Go to Holmes Hobbies help section & ask him his opinion.
If you upgrade to the most current firmware, the Mamba 25 can run brushed motors.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadshawn View Post
All I really need to figure out now is this: with a brushed motor to BL ESC- what is the connection setup? black to (-) and red to (+), and put a rubber cap on the white/neutral? I apologize, but I am still a bit unclear on what to do here..

Also- thank you very much for all the help so far! I really appreciate it!
Exactly, black for (-), red for (+), and white gets capped off or taped off.

I ran a Mamba 25 and a Holmes Revolver, and Revolver black, for years on 3s LiPo in my TLT comp crawler. Just make sure you run a BEC and it will work great for you.
My Mamba 25 currently powers my Losi Mini Rock Crawlers brushed motor.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 08-05-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
RCC Addict

There is an occasional instance where a "high power" brushed motor will not work correctly when wired in the "typical" fashion of RED to + and Black to - with the white capped. In that instance the motor's positive goes direct to the battery while all 3 of the ESC wires connect to the motor negative. In most cases the "typical" setup will work, but Castle does offer the other option as well. Here is a link to the current CASTLE documentation:

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...s_ed_guide.pdf

Documentation always helps.

(This is the basic documentation for all of their Driving products)
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Xirtic>> Point, click, "save as..." lol! That was perfect, exactly what I was look for! Thanks so much!

And for everyone elses' edification, it is entirely possible to reprogram a CC Mamba 25 esc for a brushed or brushed high power application, as I grabbed from my castlelink program:

The highlighted field is the motor type selection. I have no idea if one can program for brushed without the castle link, since I've no reason to try, lol! ...Seriously, if anyone has anything from CC, just get the dang castle link, is is SUCH a timesaver!!

I have already picked up my CC 10 Amp BEC, so I think I am just about all set up! Thanks everybody for all your time and help!