RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Water Proofing Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/26785-water-proofing-electronics.html)

soslowski 03-20-2011 09:59 PM

with the grease trick do you open the receiver case and pack it or do you encase the outside? will it overheat?

Spiike 03-28-2011 03:56 PM

Should clear up some unanswered questions in the thread, I have read all the thread, and searched high and low, but is there a list of what is waterproof and what is water resistant? and what is NOT waterproof?

I know from previous threads that the Axial 27T motors are NOT waterproof.

I know that the Hitec 645MG is water resistant, but with a tab of dialetric grease at the output shaft, it is waterproof.

The axial AE-1 is NOT waterproof. and i've heard that plastidip and dialetric grease will do the trick, is there a website with step by step procedures? that would help great as this would be my first time, and my brother's in law's first time. I know that this ae-1 gets really warm to the touch when we first used it, because the servo was defective and drawing too much power, so we then realized that the balloon would melt under stress?

The axial receiver box is NOT waterproof, just a splash guard. shouldn't be too hard to waterproof the box with some silicone at the wires.

My brother in law owns the Dingo RTR, he wants to waterproof it, but he doesn't trust a baloon around the motor for the obvious reasons it needs air? would it be ok if the motor was in a sealed compartment? I've seen others do it with success. ist he axial 27t motor any different?

as for the battery connection, do you just put dialetric grease all over the plug inside and out? and its ok for disconnecting and reconnecting to charge? and the dialetric grease will still remain in tact for the next run? or do you have to cover the plug in grease everytime you plug the battery in.

oh and the battery is NIMH so it is safe from what i read above. its LIPO that u need to worry about.

sorry about the noob questions, but little unsure.

noremacyug 03-28-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiike (Post 3012869)
Should clear up some unanswered questions in the thread, I have read all the thread, and searched high and low, but is there a list of what is waterproof and what is water resistant? and what is NOT waterproof?

I know from previous threads that the Axial 27T motors are NOT waterproof.

I know that the Hitec 645MG is water resistant, but with a tab of dialetric grease at the output shaft, it is waterproof.

The axial AE-1 is NOT waterproof. and i've heard that plastidip and dialetric grease will do the trick, is there a website with step by step procedures? that would help great as this would be my first time, and my brother's in law's first time. I know that this ae-1 gets really warm to the touch when we first used it, because the servo was defective and drawing too much power, so we then realized that the balloon would melt under stress?

The axial receiver box is NOT waterproof, just a splash guard. shouldn't be too hard to waterproof the box with some silicone at the wires.

My brother in law owns the Dingo RTR, he wants to waterproof it, but he doesn't trust a baloon around the motor for the obvious reasons it needs air? would it be ok if the motor was in a sealed compartment? I've seen others do it with success. ist he axial 27t motor any different?

as for the battery connection, do you just put dialetric grease all over the plug inside and out? and its ok for disconnecting and reconnecting to charge? and the dialetric grease will still remain in tact for the next run? or do you have to cover the plug in grease everytime you plug the battery in.

oh and the battery is NIMH so it is safe from what i read above. its LIPO that u need to worry about.

sorry about the noob questions, but little unsure.

I just did a write up yesterday on waterproofing the new stock axial electronics. Could prolly help you out a bit. I only cover the esc, led board and receiver. The servo is easy to seal (YouTube it) and I'll have to look more at the motor. Haven't got that far yet.

Spiike 03-28-2011 09:52 PM

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/257793-first-scaler.html

I also found this thread and shows how he used liquid tape to cover his electronics...

i've only seen one thread where the guy used a small plastic cup covered the pinion and used a baloon with the rest of the motor, but thats it

Baoser 04-21-2011 11:47 AM

Lots of reading, but great info and tips on waterproofing. Thanks

Daredee 04-22-2011 12:31 PM

Is there any pictures how to waterproof sensored brushless motors?

Trailbuster 05-02-2011 03:44 PM

Thanks for all the great tips on this! I did the liquid elec tape to my reciever board and esc board and went threw creeks and still ran like a top.

rockpayne 05-09-2011 06:46 PM

I am also curious about waterproofing my brushless sensored motor, I was given a product that the local marine shop says is just like Corrosion X it is called Quick Silver Corrosion Guard. Has anyone used this product for waterproofing? I do not have a cheap esc to try it on and I want to KNOW before I try to put it on some expensive electronics. :shock: I know with sensored motors, dielectric grease on the sensor wire loom connector and clear silicone were it goes into the motor housing, but what about the exposed part of the board on the endbell, maybe even dielectric grease on the bearings outside the motor. Anyone got any other tips?

Negaduck 05-26-2011 04:13 PM

I know that this thread send that Hitec 5625MG and 5645MG are waterproof but on the hitec website they say nothing about it being waterproof. i just want to make sure it is or find out what other servos people are running cause i'm one to run my truck with water running over the hood lol

crawlhog 05-26-2011 04:30 PM

they are NOT waterproof , you will fry it out if it goes for a swim.
there are some great write ups on RCC on how to waterproof them or you can go on YOUTUBE , there are a bunch of videos on it.

Negaduck 05-26-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawlhog (Post 3112190)
they are NOT waterproof , you will fry it out if it goes for a swim.
there are some great write ups on RCC on how to waterproof them or you can go on YOUTUBE , there are a bunch of videos on it.

Got any suggestion on what servo to use????

jammindriver 05-27-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grapegoat (Post 1033771)
No they are not waterproof. They have small rubber seals that help with water and dust intrusion. So basically, they are water RESISTANT. Not submergable. Plus they don't have enough torque to be used on a crawler. If they are water tight, they will say WATER PROOF. Get a hitec 5645.

Is that hitec 5645 already waterproof?? Or still have to balloon the dawg??

jammindriver 05-27-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatman (Post 901693)
Also the esc in the new emaxx is the marine water proof one

Here is a good water proof esc with no reverse delay

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB2314

Has anyone used this in a crawler build? How is the low end and start up control?? Does it require a BEC??

jammindriver 05-27-2011 11:29 AM

LIPO Batteries Underwater

Noob here :oops:...do I need to waterproof my LIPO batteries? If so, can I dip in Plasti-Dip?? Also, how do you waterproof the Dean's connection? Was wondering if I painted a fine layer of silicone on the ends of each of the Dean's connector, would that be enough to seal when they come together when the connectors are connected. Only problem is that silicone has a bit of negative charge by nature and really attracts dirt. Obviously I can't use a permanent waterproofing since this is a connection that has to come apart after each run. Will electric tape be enough??

jammindriver 05-27-2011 11:33 AM

Water and Motors

Yeah, still posting questions...I have gone through a bunch of threads...

Am I correct in understanding that BRUSHED motors are not affected by water submersion but BRUSHLESS motors do not mix with water???

I was thinking of a Novak 18.5 systems, but don't want to get that if the motor doesn't play well with water.

Thanks guys!

Oh, and there is so much great info on RCC - these forums are DOPE for an RC junkie! "thumbsup"

Rig Rocker 05-27-2011 11:49 AM

Any ideas on waterproofing FXR's? What about filling the entire case with dialectric grease?

boogiecash 05-27-2011 12:00 PM

i used corrosion x on a ae1 esc just for testing and it worked great i placed the esc in a bowl of water and it ran the motor with out any issues. i dipped the esc in corrosion x first and let it sit for a few minutes then took it out let it drip the excess off after about 20 min i plugged it up and worked great there is a video on youtube of a guy using a mamba monster doing the same process im going to try it on a rx8 and see how it goes

jammindriver 05-27-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nzax10 (Post 2534509)
Hi guys,

can i waterproof my electics with silicon spray?

I like this idea...I wonder??

jammindriver 05-30-2011 05:14 PM

Am I correct in understanding that BRUSHED motors are not affected by water submersion but BRUSHLESS motors do not mix with water???

I was thinking of a Novak 18.5 systems, but don't want to get that if the motor doesn't play well with water.

Koldham 06-18-2011 04:54 PM

so everybody keeps saying that motors are waterproof but the motor on my rig siezed after a few seconds in the water/mud. whats that all about? is there a way i can fix it?