Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Water Proofing Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #181

with the grease trick do you open the receiver case and pack it or do you encase the outside? will it overheat?
soslowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #182
Rock Crawler

Should clear up some unanswered questions in the thread, I have read all the thread, and searched high and low, but is there a list of what is waterproof and what is water resistant? and what is NOT waterproof?

I know from previous threads that the Axial 27T motors are NOT waterproof.

I know that the Hitec 645MG is water resistant, but with a tab of dialetric grease at the output shaft, it is waterproof.

The axial AE-1 is NOT waterproof. and i've heard that plastidip and dialetric grease will do the trick, is there a website with step by step procedures? that would help great as this would be my first time, and my brother's in law's first time. I know that this ae-1 gets really warm to the touch when we first used it, because the servo was defective and drawing too much power, so we then realized that the balloon would melt under stress?

The axial receiver box is NOT waterproof, just a splash guard. shouldn't be too hard to waterproof the box with some silicone at the wires.

My brother in law owns the Dingo RTR, he wants to waterproof it, but he doesn't trust a baloon around the motor for the obvious reasons it needs air? would it be ok if the motor was in a sealed compartment? I've seen others do it with success. ist he axial 27t motor any different?

as for the battery connection, do you just put dialetric grease all over the plug inside and out? and its ok for disconnecting and reconnecting to charge? and the dialetric grease will still remain in tact for the next run? or do you have to cover the plug in grease everytime you plug the battery in.

oh and the battery is NIMH so it is safe from what i read above. its LIPO that u need to worry about.

sorry about the noob questions, but little unsure.
Spiike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiike View Post
Should clear up some unanswered questions in the thread, I have read all the thread, and searched high and low, but is there a list of what is waterproof and what is water resistant? and what is NOT waterproof?

I know from previous threads that the Axial 27T motors are NOT waterproof.

I know that the Hitec 645MG is water resistant, but with a tab of dialetric grease at the output shaft, it is waterproof.

The axial AE-1 is NOT waterproof. and i've heard that plastidip and dialetric grease will do the trick, is there a website with step by step procedures? that would help great as this would be my first time, and my brother's in law's first time. I know that this ae-1 gets really warm to the touch when we first used it, because the servo was defective and drawing too much power, so we then realized that the balloon would melt under stress?

The axial receiver box is NOT waterproof, just a splash guard. shouldn't be too hard to waterproof the box with some silicone at the wires.

My brother in law owns the Dingo RTR, he wants to waterproof it, but he doesn't trust a baloon around the motor for the obvious reasons it needs air? would it be ok if the motor was in a sealed compartment? I've seen others do it with success. ist he axial 27t motor any different?

as for the battery connection, do you just put dialetric grease all over the plug inside and out? and its ok for disconnecting and reconnecting to charge? and the dialetric grease will still remain in tact for the next run? or do you have to cover the plug in grease everytime you plug the battery in.

oh and the battery is NIMH so it is safe from what i read above. its LIPO that u need to worry about.

sorry about the noob questions, but little unsure.
I just did a write up yesterday on waterproofing the new stock axial electronics. Could prolly help you out a bit. I only cover the esc, led board and receiver. The servo is easy to seal (YouTube it) and I'll have to look more at the motor. Haven't got that far yet.
noremacyug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #184
Rock Crawler

First Scaler

I also found this thread and shows how he used liquid tape to cover his electronics...

i've only seen one thread where the guy used a small plastic cup covered the pinion and used a baloon with the rest of the motor, but thats it
Spiike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #185

Lots of reading, but great info and tips on waterproofing. Thanks
Baoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #186
Rock Stacker

Is there any pictures how to waterproof sensored brushless motors?
Daredee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #187

Thanks for all the great tips on this! I did the liquid elec tape to my reciever board and esc board and went threw creeks and still ran like a top.
Trailbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #188
Rock Crawler

I am also curious about waterproofing my brushless sensored motor, I was given a product that the local marine shop says is just like Corrosion X it is called Quick Silver Corrosion Guard. Has anyone used this product for waterproofing? I do not have a cheap esc to try it on and I want to KNOW before I try to put it on some expensive electronics. I know with sensored motors, dielectric grease on the sensor wire loom connector and clear silicone were it goes into the motor housing, but what about the exposed part of the board on the endbell, maybe even dielectric grease on the bearings outside the motor. Anyone got any other tips?
rockpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #189
Rock Stacker

I know that this thread send that Hitec 5625MG and 5645MG are waterproof but on the hitec website they say nothing about it being waterproof. i just want to make sure it is or find out what other servos people are running cause i'm one to run my truck with water running over the hood lol
Negaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #190
RCC Addict

they are NOT waterproof , you will fry it out if it goes for a swim.
there are some great write ups on RCC on how to waterproof them or you can go on YOUTUBE , there are a bunch of videos on it.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #191
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
they are NOT waterproof , you will fry it out if it goes for a swim.
there are some great write ups on RCC on how to waterproof them or you can go on YOUTUBE , there are a bunch of videos on it.

Got any suggestion on what servo to use????
Negaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #192
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapegoat View Post
No they are not waterproof. They have small rubber seals that help with water and dust intrusion. So basically, they are water RESISTANT. Not submergable. Plus they don't have enough torque to be used on a crawler. If they are water tight, they will say WATER PROOF. Get a hitec 5645.
Is that hitec 5645 already waterproof?? Or still have to balloon the dawg??
jammindriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #193
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Also the esc in the new emaxx is the marine water proof one

Here is a good water proof esc with no reverse delay

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB2314
Has anyone used this in a crawler build? How is the low end and start up control?? Does it require a BEC??
Old 05-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #194
Pebble Pounder

Post LIPO Batteries Underwater

Noob here ...do I need to waterproof my LIPO batteries? If so, can I dip in Plasti-Dip?? Also, how do you waterproof the Dean's connection? Was wondering if I painted a fine layer of silicone on the ends of each of the Dean's connector, would that be enough to seal when they come together when the connectors are connected. Only problem is that silicone has a bit of negative charge by nature and really attracts dirt. Obviously I can't use a permanent waterproofing since this is a connection that has to come apart after each run. Will electric tape be enough??
Old 05-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #195
Pebble Pounder

Post Water and Motors

Yeah, still posting questions...I have gone through a bunch of threads...

Am I correct in understanding that BRUSHED motors are not affected by water submersion but BRUSHLESS motors do not mix with water???

I was thinking of a Novak 18.5 systems, but don't want to get that if the motor doesn't play well with water.

Thanks guys!

Oh, and there is so much great info on RCC - these forums are DOPE for an RC junkie!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #196
I wanna be Dave

Any ideas on waterproofing FXR's? What about filling the entire case with dialectric grease?
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #197
Pebble Pounder

i used corrosion x on a ae1 esc just for testing and it worked great i placed the esc in a bowl of water and it ran the motor with out any issues. i dipped the esc in corrosion x first and let it sit for a few minutes then took it out let it drip the excess off after about 20 min i plugged it up and worked great there is a video on youtube of a guy using a mamba monster doing the same process im going to try it on a rx8 and see how it goes
boogiecash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #198
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzax10 View Post
Hi guys,

can i waterproof my electics with silicon spray?
I like this idea...I wonder??
Old 05-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #199
Pebble Pounder

Am I correct in understanding that BRUSHED motors are not affected by water submersion but BRUSHLESS motors do not mix with water???

I was thinking of a Novak 18.5 systems, but don't want to get that if the motor doesn't play well with water.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #200
Quarry Creeper

so everybody keeps saying that motors are waterproof but the motor on my rig siezed after a few seconds in the water/mud. whats that all about? is there a way i can fix it?
Koldham is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/26785-water-proofing-electronics.html
Posted By For Type Date
the Crawl Pit • View topic - How To WATERPROOF This thread Refback 10-04-2011 08:26 PM