RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Water Proofing Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/26785-water-proofing-electronics.html)

Devil Inc 06-27-2013 05:36 PM

Re: Water Proofing Electronics

I ended up putting liquid tape back over it, as it didn't seem to affect anything prior.

Benjamin.Klapperich 06-30-2013 08:15 AM

liquid tape is the way to go. I've put it on all my solder joints along with my servos and have had zero rust problems.

DBoger82 07-01-2013 09:23 PM

After reading this whole thread (yes, I read the whole thing) I think I am just going to go with the traxxas waterproof receiver box, and use a radio shack project box to mount my esc in. It's not like I am going to submerge the truck where I can't see the body, just to the bottom of the wheel wells.

Tgreer 08-11-2013 09:01 PM

Ok, I have a brushless with vent holes in the can! Am I screwed on waterproofing this thing? I have some corrosion X coming in the mail, so I plan on dipping the electronic plates in the motor in the corrosion x, should I silicone the holes shut? I realize that is for heat, so will I screw myself by doing that? Can anyone chime in on waterproofing a brushless that has vent holes in the can?

Yardracer 08-13-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBoger82 (Post 4382555)
After reading this whole thread (yes, I read the whole thing) I think I am just going to go with the traxxas waterproof receiver box, and use a radio shack project box to mount my esc in. It's not like I am going to submerge the truck where I can't see the body, just to the bottom of the wheel wells.

The Traxxas box works pretty well for sure. One of the best things about my MERV has been flogging the electronics in deep water and not having to worry about them. If I can do as well waterproofing my crawler projects as they do, I'll be quite happy.

Red04Cobra 08-22-2013 07:43 PM

Just got finished waterproofing my new Hitec 7955. This is a fantastic reference thread for someone just starting out.

That_One_Guy 08-24-2013 07:50 AM

Like Yardracer said the box is a good idea. Warranty still in tac and its waterproof.

mjderstine 08-29-2013 08:31 AM

so, conformal coating. should i get acrylic, silicone, urethane? aerosol?

JohnRobHolmes 08-29-2013 08:54 AM

I prefer silicon because it cushions and the part can be reworked easily . Acrylic and Urethanes makes it a huge pain in the ass to resolder anything, and don't scrape off easily.

dip, paint, aerosol, it doesn't really matter. I prefer brush-on for 99% of work because there is little waste, less fumes, and easier thickness control. When doing 20 or more items, dip or air delivery is fast enough to offset the waste.

Zeks05 09-22-2013 06:12 AM

Still trying to find the best way to waterproof a servo? Just corrosionX the hole board or hole case?

Calderwood 09-22-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeks05 (Post 4486540)
Still trying to find the best way to waterproof a servo? Just corrosionX the hole board or hole case?

I use conformal coating on the board, bottom of the motor and bottom of the pot. Then I fill the servo with dielectric grease. 100% water proof and it isn't ugly.

Zeks05 09-22-2013 01:14 PM

Umm.. places to buy this?

Is there certain brands to use and stay away from?

loc0gring0 10-07-2013 07:04 PM

couldnt you plasti dip some of the out sides to seal it up? that way you could take it off during the summer or when your not playing in the mud

idaho 10-11-2013 12:18 PM

Where does a guy get conformal coating? I know I can get dielectric grease at an autoparts store.

mjderstine 10-11-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idaho (Post 4508818)
Where does a guy get conformal coating? I know I can get dielectric grease at an autoparts store.

Amazon or eBay.

badhoopty 10-11-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idaho (Post 4508818)

i get mine from here:
HMC Electronics - (800) 482-4440

i use this stuff, it sprays on thin, so i lay it on thick and shoot multiple coats.
Tech Spray 2108-12S: TechSpray Turbo-Coat Acrylic Conformal Coating, 12-oz

idaho 10-11-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjderstine (Post 4508884)
Amazon or eBay.

Well shit that was easy, much appreciated sir.

idaho 10-11-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhoopty (Post 4508928)
i get mine from here:
HMC Electronics - (800) 482-4440

i use this stuff, it sprays on thin, so i lay it on thick and shoot multiple coats.
Tech Spray 2108-12S: TechSpray Turbo-Coat Acrylic Conformal Coating, 12-oz

I was actually wanting to use a silicone type as per Mr. John Rob Holmes' post above.

hpiguy 10-13-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idaho (Post 4509162)
I was actually wanting to use a silicone type as per Mr. John Rob Holmes' post above.

Here ya go

MG Chemicals 422B Silicone Conformal Coating: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

fitisbamg 10-14-2013 11:48 AM

uhhh has anyone used hot glue? I have sealed a few connections for my lights and it seems to work!

badhoopty 10-14-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idaho (Post 4509162)

use what you feel best, but i have used the techspray on alot of components and never had a problem.

fitisbamg 10-16-2013 12:53 AM

Is that a no for hot glue? I'm the only one?

BigGuyJT 10-16-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitisbamg (Post 4513748)
Is that a no for hot glue? I'm the only one?

Never tried hot glue. I like the idea and it would be easy to remove. I dont know if themp might be too much for some of the electronic's though. Maybe a low temp hot glue?

fitisbamg 10-16-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGuyJT (Post 4514278)
Never tried hot glue. I like the idea and it would be easy to remove. I dont know if themp might be too much for some of the electronic's though. Maybe a low temp hot glue?

I've had temps on my rigs so hot they de-solder... So I would assume the glue isn't hot enough to do anything. I have had to remove the glue once and it was easy.

hpiguy 10-16-2013 01:39 PM

I would actually worry about the hot glue melting once your electronics get some heat in them.

fitisbamg 10-16-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpiguy (Post 4514298)
I would actually worry about the hot glue melting once your electronics get some heat in them.

ya thought that too but it seems that the only way the glue will melt is if it passes into a dangerous temp ( beyond able to touch with your hands)

idaho 10-17-2013 12:41 PM

So what about my bullet connections? Should I seal those with silicone? And I should pull the fan off my ESC and seal its connection too right?

fitisbamg 10-17-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idaho (Post 4515343)
So what about my bullet connections? Should I seal those with silicone? And I should pull the fan off my ESC and seal its connection too right?

my water proof esc says the fan isnt waterproof and to remove it when there is water. so idk.... and the bullet connections i typically shrink wrap the whole connection, then i add hot glue to the ends just to make sure they are water tight

Jakethesnake-rs10 10-26-2013 07:55 PM

Corrosion X works well. Got mine at ace.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

JOETRUCKER80 10-27-2013 11:13 AM

I have used Rustoleum spray rubber, and plasti dip

BigGuyJT 10-28-2013 12:17 AM

Plasti dip and liquid tape work very well. I also packed the servo gears with die electric grease. As far as the bullet connetors I think they are fine. Your not pushing enough through them to get them to arc. I use deans on they batts and I don't do anything to them either.
Kinda boring long video but the beginning has the water stuff...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsw5...e_gdata_player

Ohioskills 10-28-2013 05:43 AM

platic dip is great just make sure u let it dry for a day or go with holmes/traxxas

kincer 10-28-2013 05:50 AM

The Twinhammers esc is a great waterproof esc if you're on a budget, has a great drag brake and is fully water proof. I've used them in a few trailrigs and they work great!

Sent from the RAZR's edge

jhtoy 11-08-2013 12:46 PM

Hey just to be sure,is it ok to cover the circuit board on a servo with clear dielectric grease?

arevir 11-20-2013 03:47 PM

wow just when I thought about using liquid tape, now I know it wont stop moisture from building up under it.

So now I will buy some MG Chemicals Silicone Conformal Coating : 422
Amazon.com: MG Chemicals Silicone Conformal Coating : 422: Everything Else

I saw someone dunk his motor in Corrosion X I have never use that does that dry or it stay in liquid form around the components.

If yes is that a good thing to dunk the whole motor with sensor cable attached in corrosion X.

would this be just like liquid tape and wont provide moisture protection Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant
Permatex 80050 Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant, 3 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

That_One_Guy 11-27-2013 09:55 PM

Of course was up24 they sell them everywhere. Castle, dynamite, many more

DogSpoon 12-02-2013 04:47 PM

Maybe I can help a little

General Waterproofing

You don't have to waterproof everything, just the sensitive electronics: ESC, servo, receiver, BEC. The power connectors, and motor don't absolutely need it.

Here's why

The conductivity of water is dependent upon the ions dissolved in it. In order of increasing conductivity, distilled water < tap water < sea water. Copper wire is about 10 million times more conductive than sea water. Water is fairly high resistance compared to a wire.

What determines damage is how sensitive your electronics are to current. It isn't true in every case, but generally, the Reciever, and ESC can handle maybe a few tens to hundreds of unwanted milliamps before frying. Depending on construction, the BEC and Servo may be somewhat more tolerant. The power connections, and motor are relatively robust. What determines current is voltage over resistance: I = V/R. Higher resistance, like that seen in water, means you need higher voltage to cause damage.

On the power connectors, getting sea water on them (which you should avoid for other reasons anyway) might cause a few microamps or milliamps to leak across, but it won't break anything. Fresh water is even less of a problem. However, chronic wetness of the connectors will eventually corrode them. It's up to you to choose to prevent now or repair later. See below on preventing corrosion.

On the motor, DC motors will run fine under water. I've done it with no waterproofing and no problems. I haven't run a sensored brushless motor submerged, but the only real difference is the hall effect sensors. Keep in mind that electricity always takes the path of least resistance. In a well-maintained motor, there will be no source of current that has no easier path to ground than through the sensor cable. Once again, your primary concern will be corrosion and dirt. You don't want either of those inside your motor. So prevent or repair.

To Prevent corrosion

Choose something that won't trap moisture. Don't use tape, hot glue, shrink wrap, etc. They will do a better job of keeping moisture in than keeping it out.

Use something that won't interfere with conductivity. For example, CorrosionX is non-conductive and bonds to metal surfaces, forming an oily film. I wouldn't use it on any connectors, but it would be fine on the motor itself for preventing corrosion, and it makes a fantastic waterproofer for the ESC, Servo board, and BEC.

I don't use anything on my motor or power connectors. I've tried dielectric grease, but it's just messy and I decided I'd rather solder new connectors every few years.

On Hot Glue

Hot glue bonds only weakly to smooth surfaces. This is what makes it desirable, because it can be easily removed for warranty replacements. But that also makes it unreliable. Eventually, that mating surface will begin to separate and may let water in.

Also, water tends to get into the smallest of openings. Even if you think you've sealed it up, any point where wires pass through is a potential weak point. Although I use silicone grease to seal up the seams on my servo, receiver box, and ESC, I generously coat the boards themselves with something water-repellent just for that one drop that might get past my outer defense system. I would not recommend coating boards with hot glue. It would trap head, and there are too many nooks and crannies that would make it a PITA to remove, completely negating its primary benefit.

If you choose hot glue, use it to seal up boxes, not coat circuit boards. Keep and eye on it, and reapply when it starts to separate. I'd recommend using it in tandem with another type of non-heat-trapping sealant to coat the boards.

That's all I have for now. Cue the angry hoards.

eliasherm 12-08-2013 11:58 AM

Yes mamba monster 2 is waterproof

Tommy R 12-09-2013 10:15 AM

Has anyone determined what will remove Corrosion X? The reason I ask is I'm about to submerge my Tekin FXR in CX and afterward I'd like to remove the CX from the solder posts so I can get a good solder joint. It's not flammable so maybe it'll just "burn away" when the heat is applied by the iron? Or is it known that a particular solvent (motor spray?) can remove it? That'd be ideal.

I've looked online, but have come up empty. I'm willing to do some experimenting of my own to see what removes it, but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks,
Tommy

TeamBosing 12-12-2013 02:06 PM

I'm going to waterproof my new brushless set up with this stuff. Hopefully it will hold up fine.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ps3684ac42.jpg