RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Water Proofing Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/26785-water-proofing-electronics.html)

mammoth 06-15-2012 09:25 AM

Re: Water Proofing Electronics

^ X2. Just want to make sure what I have done is going to work!!!

DogSpoon 06-16-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuckleBuck (Post 3648765)
Also a WISE TIP. ONLY USE FM OR AM radios for deep underwater . NO DIGITAL radio will work once antenna fully submerged otherwise your truck will just take off and you will have to get waist deep in water to retrieve.

Yep, bigger wavelengths (lower frequencies) travel better through water. The Military uses Ultra Low Frequency for submarine communication. Those signals travel miles underwater; we only need a few feet, so AM or FM should work fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixhundred71 (Post 3778695)
And any info on the Corrosion X HD, If anyone's used it on their electronics and how it went.

:badger:

I got some CorrosionX Aviation. From what I can tell it's just little thicker than regular CorrosionX, and HD is even thicker than Aviation. The Aviation leaves an oily residue about .5-1mm thick all over the circuit board. For RC stuff, I think HD would just be too thick and goopy and get in the way.

Mr.JayDeeM 06-17-2012 07:22 PM

So, If I want to run in water that prob up to where you cant see tires anymore, will packing dielectric grease until it ooz out in the case would be good enough? I'm not plan on blast through the water either...

Shanerz 07-13-2012 09:10 PM

Liquipel just seen video of iPhone dipped in water with no case. Apparently you gotta send in electronics but it's a possible solution for future waterproofing.

meatmonkey 07-13-2012 09:48 PM

I regularly submerge my SCX and my method of choice is to pack the cases full of dielectric grease. A little messy to apply, but very effective and cheap. It's never let me down.

I fill the gear side of my servos with Lucas Red and Tacky. The fine tolerances of the servo gears don't like the added resistance of the dielectric grease. It slows them down and makes them run hot.

mongdex 07-17-2012 09:09 AM

I have found that spraying the whole esc/receiver/servo with a waterproof paint. That can be general spray paint or model paint. I completely submerge my rigs and the paint holds.

I also have found that using Epoxy or Hotglue the cover the whole esc up also works pretty well.

THX_138 07-19-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanerz (Post 3821564)
Liquipel just seen video of iPhone dipped in water with no case. Apparently you gotta send in electronics but it's a possible solution for future waterproofing.

Liqupel is my choice and NO.... You do not have to send your items in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by THX_138 (Post 3814712)
I use this stuff and it has not let me down yet.
Liquipel Nanocoating

Although I give things a triple application.
I would think they use one coat to keep things as clear and thin as possible because of it being visible cell phone surface?
Even with 3 layers... It is still invisible on whatever you put it on.

They make statements like you can not take your cell phone swimming after using Liquipel and Liquipel is only for an "Accidental" exposure to water.
They play it off that it's not meant to use to actually purposely submerge things, but I think that is just a disclaimer so they are not buying people new cell phones every day (for the morons that don't apply it correctly but say they do:roll:)

Anyhow..... It's the best stuff I have found for waterproofing yet.

Liquipel nanocoating

Liquipel in Action

Quote:

Originally Posted by THX_138 (Post 3817654)
Sorry, I forgot to add a link to purchase the stuff.

I usually get it off of eBay and it lists under a "super hydrophobic coating"
I just looked and the seller I usually buy from doesn't have an active listing for any. But here is another seller with the same stuff.
500ml Super Hydrophobic Treatment Nanotechnology Waterproof coating Never Be Wet | eBay
It is the same exact stuff that website puts on the phones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by THX_138 (Post 3817657)
There is also a large selection of suppliers off this page.
Promotional Hydrophobic Coating, Buy Hydrophobic Coating Promotional Products and Items from Hydrophobic Coating Manufacturers and Suppliers at Alibaba.com
Also several other great waterproofing alternatives to experiment with if so desired.

badhoopty 07-19-2012 08:24 AM

conformal coating on circuit boards, dielectic grease to fill voids, corrosion x on moving parts like brushless sensors and servo pots, seal everything up with plasti-dip or liquid e-tape.

poopsmcgoops 07-28-2012 12:50 AM

this thread will come in handy when i get my scx 10, who knows i might try some of these methods on my trekker while im waiting for it to get here

DogSpoon 08-12-2012 09:52 AM

I just took my xr10 river crawling on Friday. I dipped the ESCs and BEC in corrosionx, and filled all the servo gaps with silicone dielectric grease. It performed perfectly! The only problem I had was after turning upside down while going up a fish ladder. Water must have gotten into the "waterproof" receiver box because as soon as I flipped the truck over, everything shut down.

To fix it, I opened up the receiver, blew out the water with compressed air and sprayed the inside with corrosionx. That restored full operation. I hadn't dipped the receiver in corrosionx because it was inside a waterproof box. I'd recommend dipping your receiver in corrosionx too, even if it is encased in a waterproof box.

crawlhog 08-12-2012 10:12 AM

apparently its not a water proof box if you have water in it:shock:

DogSpoon 08-12-2012 11:21 AM

Right. Today's take away: if it says it's waterproof, waterproof it before using in water.

zidaro 08-22-2012 11:02 AM

anybody used one of these scaler fuel cell boxes by Dinky? How well do they seal and can they be dipped or rtv'd to waterproof?

Fuel Cell (Black)

Docwolf 08-22-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zidaro (Post 3881472)
anybody used one of these scaler fuel cell boxes by Dinky? How well do they seal and can they be dipped or rtv'd to waterproof?

Fuel Cell (Black)

I am sure they can be, but then you would have to cut it apart to get to your stuff.

ik632 08-22-2012 02:37 PM

I'm thinking about ordering a spray bottle of Corrosion X. It doesn't look like you can order the Liquipel for your own application.

Mr.JayDeeM 08-26-2012 02:34 PM

Take a look at my rig and tell me if I'm safe. Especially the battery.. It's a Nimh I believe because I'm still using the old axial system before they turn over to 2.4ghz. I plan to pack the servo along with smallest o-ring I can find for the horn, Rx, ESC with dielectric grease and was wondering about the battery. Put dielectric grease in the connectors? Also, my on and off switch will be cut off and two wires will be tied together to complete the circuit.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/...06/mywork2.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/...ubechassis.jpg

Speaking of dielectric grease, is this what I need to buy?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

bob1961 08-26-2012 07:42 PM

rock crawlers don't really need to be water proofed like scalers need it........bob

Mr.JayDeeM 08-26-2012 10:38 PM

Well, there's some mini water falls around here that has nice rocks to crawl on along the way..

Mr.JayDeeM 09-03-2012 07:03 PM

Is this worth the buy?

Hitec HS-5646WP Waterproof Digital Metal Gear Dual (HRC35646W) | RC Planet

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn....jpg?1344538361

Cpt. Flapjack 09-15-2012 01:00 PM

Why do they make all the waterproof ones that god awful color!