RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Water Proofing Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/26785-water-proofing-electronics.html)

dodgeboy8888 06-20-2013 05:44 AM

Re: Water Proofing Electronics

i need to waterproof my tekin fxr ive seen djmedic dip it in plasti dip but here in canada i only found the sray plsti dip. would you trust spraying it ?

Jhvaron 06-20-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balang_479 (Post 707100)
anyone know of any other fully waterproofed EScs???

Traxxa has a couple. Imrun one in my son axial wraith and it work perfect as you can see:

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...ps000ba4f8.jpg

ROLANDROCKSHOP 06-20-2013 07:13 AM

waterproof Esc's..

Castle sidewinder 3

Hpi flux vapor

Hobbywing WP series

Trackstar waterproof

Venom Waterproof

Traxxas xl-5/vxl

AE LRP Waterproof

waterproofing electrics you need this corrosionX..
http://www.corrosionx.com/images/91002.jpg
CorrosionX for use on electronics

just dipped my MMP esc and my tekin 13.5t brushless motor..
so far so good..@$25 shipped to my door.

Grainger CORROSIONX Corrosion Inhibitor Penetrant Lubricant - Penetrants and Lubricants - 4AAA2|91002 - Grainger Industrial Supply
or
Superiorcarcare is where I bought mine.
CorrosionX Penetrant & Lubricant, corrosion x lubricant, rust inhibitor, rust remover

ROLANDROCKSHOP 06-20-2013 07:18 AM

I stay away from plasti dip and liquid elec tape..

when you encapsulate your electrics with it it holds in heat..
which we all know heat and electrics are a bad thing.

Outerwears electric covers..i have several of these for motor/esc and they work..
Looks like water off a ducks back.
R/C | Electric Motor

I'd suggest the balloon method or CorrosionX or Outerwears for waterproofing.
My 2 pennies..

JeremyH 06-20-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP (Post 4368845)
when you encapsulate your electrics with it it holds in heat..

Bingo! "thumbsup"

ka1fornia 06-20-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP (Post 4368840)
waterproof Esc's..

Castle sidewinder 3

Hpi flux vapor

Hobbywing WP series

Trackstar waterproof

Venom Waterproof

Traxxas xl-5/vxl

AE LRP Waterproof

waterproofing electrics you need this corrosionX..
http://www.corrosionx.com/images/91002.jpg
CorrosionX for use on electronics

just dipped my MMP esc and my tekin 13.5t brushless motor..
so far so good..@$25 shipped to my door.

Grainger CORROSIONX Corrosion Inhibitor Penetrant Lubricant - Penetrants and Lubricants - 4AAA2|91002 - Grainger Industrial Supply
or
Superiorcarcare is where I bought mine.
CorrosionX Penetrant & Lubricant, corrosion x lubricant, rust inhibitor, rust remover

You dipped your MMP and motor in corrosion x? It looks like a spray bottle? did you spray it on? I just bought an MMP and am interested in waterproofing it that is why i'm asking for clarity. thanks

ROLANDROCKSHOP 06-20-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka1fornia (Post 4368893)
You dipped your MMP and motor in corrosion x? It looks like a spray bottle? did you spray it on? I just bought an MMP and am interested in waterproofing it that is why i'm asking for clarity. thanks

dip it or spray..
dipping is a more efficient use of the liquid..
spraying it just runs off and you waste a lot more.

find a small Tupperware bowl pour some in it..
decase the esc and dip it in and let sit for a few minutes.
pull it out and let drip dry for 4-6 hours.
I let mine dry for a whole day just to be on the safe side.

If you rush it you can burn up the esc by powering it up too soon,if there's still an excessive amount of liquid still on the board.

visually inspect it for standing fluid..give it a good shake to make shure
all excess liquid is gone before reinstalling it into case.

craddock35 06-20-2013 01:04 PM

I am using scotchkote on mine and after it sets up really good I dip it in corrosionx. The scotchkote isn't near as thick as the liquid tape or plasti dip and doesn't seem to hold the heat like they do. I mainly dip it in the corrosionx to help get any cracks I might have missed and also to get the connectors corrosion proofed. I have submerged mine a couple of times now on 3hr+ trail runs and no issues yet. I even soak my bearings and coat my motor with corrosionx using a small kids water color paint brush so it doesn't get on the com .

ka1fornia 06-20-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP (Post 4368952)
dip it or spray..
dipping is a more efficient use of the liquid..
spraying it just runs off and you waste a lot more.

find a small Tupperware bowl pour some in it..
decase the esc and dip it in and let sit for a few minutes.
pull it out and let drip dry for 4-6 hours.
I let mine dry for a whole day just to be on the safe side.

If you rush it you can burn up the esc by powering it up too soon,if there's still an excessive amount of liquid still on the board.

visually inspect it for standing fluid..give it a good shake to make shure
all excess liquid is gone before reinstalling it into case.

thanks! i'll be doing this for sure!

Jhvaron 06-20-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgeboy8888 (Post 4368788)
i need to waterproof my tekin fxr ive seen djmedic dip it in plasti dip but here in canada i only found the sray plsti dip. would you trust spraying it ?

I've use it. I put around 4 layers of it just to be sure. And so far it has work ok.

Devil Inc 06-23-2013 06:54 PM

Just finished up with some waterproofing using both CorrosionX and conformal coating. I've not dunked anything just yet, gonna let it dry overnight. I used the CorrosionX on my Savox servo, Castle BEC, and ROC412 motor. The conformal coating was used on my MMP and RX. Really hoping it works as described, I've been wanting to do some water crossings and stuff.

The conformal coating I used was a urethane brush-on version, I also have an aerosol acrylic version that I did spray an extra RX with to try out.

ka1fornia 06-23-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Inc (Post 4372612)
Just finished up with some waterproofing using both CorrosionX and conformal coating. I've not dunked anything just yet, gonna let it dry overnight. I used the CorrosionX on my Savox servo, Castle BEC, and ROC412 motor. The conformal coating was used on my MMP and RX. Really hoping it works as described, I've been wanting to do some water crossings and stuff.

The conformal coating I used was a urethane brush-on version, I also have an aerosol acrylic version that I did spray an extra RX with to try out.

How did you waterproof your roc412? Just spray it on the wires?

Devil Inc 06-23-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka1fornia (Post 4372628)
How did you waterproof your roc412? Just spray it on the wires?

I took it completely apart, soaked the can, sensor board, and rotor. Then I let it all dry seperately.

ka1fornia 06-24-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Inc (Post 4372635)
I took it completely apart, soaked the can, sensor board, and rotor. Then I let it all dry seperately.

I see. I'm a little confused on how this stuff dries. I'm guessing it's a very thin and clear?

Devil Inc 06-24-2013 09:49 AM

The CorrosionX, it leaves a film behind, I lightly dabbed off the excess. From what I've read, some use compressed air to blow off the excess. It is not thin and clear, I have the aviation type, it's green and similar to a light syrup in consistency. I powered everything on this morning and all seems well.

ka1fornia 06-24-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Inc (Post 4373254)
The CorrosionX, it leaves a film behind, I lightly dabbed off the excess. From what I've read, some use compressed air to blow off the excess. It is not thin and clear, I have the aviation type, it's green and similar to a light syrup in consistency. I powered everything on this morning and all seems well.

sweet i'll be ordering it soon!

MiniMorris 06-26-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Inc (Post 4372612)

Let me know how all works :)

Devil Inc 06-26-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniMorris (Post 4376243)
Let me know how all works :)

Planning on doing some water/mud stuff this weekend. "thumbsup"

Devil Inc 06-27-2013 07:32 AM

Question, on my ROC412 where the wire leads venture down into the motor, there's a bit of a gap. I had some liquid electrical tape on there, but when I pulled everything apart to dip into some CorrosionX I noticed there was very thin amounts of the liquid electrical tape that had crept down and into the motor endbell. I'm not particularly fond of seeing that. What should I use to fill the gap? I thought dielectric grease, I don't want the heat of the motor to thin it out (if that's possible). Or just put another coat of liquid tape over it? Leave it alone?

Left side of pic is the area I'm speaking of.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/27/atemy5yh.jpg

Thanks

ka1fornia 06-27-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Inc (Post 4377031)
Question, on my ROC412 where the wire leads venture down into the motor, there's a bit of a gap. I had some liquid electrical tape on there, but when I pulled everything apart to dip into some CorrosionX I noticed there was very thin amounts of the liquid electrical tape that had crept down and into the motor endbell. I'm not particularly fond of seeing that. What should I use to fill the gap? I thought dielectric grease, I don't want the heat of the motor to thin it out (if that's possible). Or just put another coat of liquid tape over it? Leave it alone?

Left side of pic is the area I'm speaking of.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/27/atemy5yh.jpg

Thanks

I definitely wouldn't put dielectric grease on it. Once the motor heats up it will fall down in the crevice.