Notices

Thread: Water Proofing Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #481
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Water Proofing Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL4Z3 View Post
Allright , I tried to make Fluid Film fail, on the solar light circuit board , with high heat & pressure water flow & submersion , I could not get it to fail ...but its just a simple solar light,..
I had an old futaba 6 channel fm radio setup , So I decided to test it on the receiver , opened case sprayed on circuit board ,..& I dont know how critical it is but I also sprayed into the battery & servo connectors as well ,...submerged the reciever in bowl of water & it works fine , So I think Im just gonna leave it & keep testing it every once in a while & see how long it lasts , but so far seems to work just like corrosion x , leaves a very thin oil coating
Now this is cool. Keep us up to date on how this holds up. I know I would love to know. Thanks for testing this out bro.
CodesEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #482
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodesEmpire View Post
Now this is cool. Keep us up to date on how this holds up. I know I would love to know. Thanks for testing this out bro.
Well We need more people to do some tests with this , I have seen here & there around the internet that it has been used on rc electronics , but not too much , Its cheap & easy & seems to work just like corrosion x , it says it binds to metal & leaves a film ,..I dont know , It may not be good or work out for our application but it seems worth looking at ,..The one site I read says "Fluid Film will protect your electronics, GPS, Radios, Radar circuit boards from salt water immersion for up to 2 years and more, it can be sprayed directly onto printed circuit boards."
Parts & Accessories - Fluid Film Anti-Corrosion and Lubrication Polymer was sold for R45.00 on 17 Dec at 11:30 by DGMDistributors in Cape Town (ID:10221012)
Fluid FilmŪ | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

Interesting test info too ,..http://www.fluid-film.com/testing.html

So if anyone else can get some , & has any old electronics around to pull apart for circuit board tests , we could accumulate more info , old solar lights toys etc. anything with a circuit board It did get mentioned here briefly in 2011 Waterproofing your electronics (not including ESC) post # 9 but there doesnt seem to be much info or discussion on it .

Last edited by BL4Z3; 03-08-2014 at 08:32 PM.
BL4Z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #483
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Dawg View Post
This is a great thread and very helpful. I've ended up using silicon conformal coating on my ESC ad Rx boards; I disassembled my servo and dunked the board and motor in Corrosion X, and will use the dielectric grease when I button it back up. The last question I have is regarding the motor. I plan to use Corrosion X on it - so do I just submerse it case and all in the Corrosion X for 20 - 30- minutes? If I need to disassemble it, what is the best way to remove the case without destroying the little tabs that hold the case on? This is an Axial 27T motor.
Anybody got some advice for me on this one?
Naughty Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #484
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I'm not sure on that , In looking around though I did see some ideas about it ,...Is Corrosion X Okay to Use on Brushed Motors After Wet Runs?

Corrosion X Problem? [Archive] - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Brushed motor ideas for water.

Waterproof Pro4 with Corrosion X?
Old 03-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #485
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the links. It looks like the answer is just run it and if it pukes, a replacement is cheap or it's an opportunity to upgrade.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #486
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thanks for the links. It looks like the answer is just run it and if it pukes, a replacement is cheap or it's an opportunity to upgrade.
actually If you are happy with the stock motor ,..they are so cheap pick up a couple extras & maybe try applying it to one or taking it apart & applying & see how it works out

I Also tested my old 72Mhz receiver under water again after work ,..fluid film still working,....

Was also mentioned here
http://socrawl.com/post10058.html?si...267ac01#p10058

Last edited by BL4Z3; 03-09-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #487
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I'll be honest, I've personally never used anything to waterproof my brushed motors. I run several axial 27t motors and I dont worry about them. I clean them really good with fresh water after a dirty run and then every 4 to 5 runs I just drip a drop of this penetrating catalyst called Blaster on both ends and turn it a few times and its good for my next bunch of runs. Just something to look at if you want to. Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #488
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodesEmpire View Post
I'll be honest, I've personally never used anything to waterproof my brushed motors. I run several axial 27t motors and I dont worry about them. I clean them really good with fresh water after a dirty run and then every 4 to 5 runs I just drip a drop of this penetrating catalyst called Blaster on both ends and turn it a few times and its good for my next bunch of runs. Just something to look at if you want to. Hope this helps.

Is that PB Blaster that you're talking about? Aerosol with a yellow cap?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #489
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Is that PB Blaster that you're talking about? Aerosol with a yellow cap?
Yes Sir. I even use it on my bearings that are exposed to the elements. The others are covered with marine grease.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #490
Rock Stacker

Thanks, I use that stuff all the time when working on my 1:1 crawler.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #491
Rock Stacker

ok I have been putting the receiver in a bowl of water every day after work & testing it still no problems , ...
Old 03-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #492

I always just put a shower cap over the whole chassis and zip-tie/tape/Velcro it down... No water so far but it could never withstand a ttc mud pit....
ryanster1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #493
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
A brushed motor doesn't really need to be waterproofed, if you do keep the corrosionX off the comm
idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:36 AM   #494
Rock Crawler

Ok guys, as a electrician any thing we put in a pull box (which is in the ground) we rubber tape, electrical tape then the magic ingrediant is 3M Skotchcoat! super nasty to work with but water is not getting through it. A quart can will run about $25.
mudbeast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #495
Pebble Pounder

Default Water Proofing Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by balang_479 View Post
anyone know of any other fully waterproofed EScs???

Yes I run a traxxas EVX-2 duel lipo ESC that is fully waterproofed from factory. I've had my crawler fully submerged in water and I use the liquid electrical tape & rubber in a can method with all my electrics components and combined with that water proof ESC I can run this thing right under water and have no issue coming out of the water. Also great for winter time as well when you are out in snow banks and your whole crawler is just a big white ball moving around. Here are a few pics of mine in snow.
My method also allows you to keep your crawler looking stock and gives it a tough look as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VenomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #496
Rock Crawler

ok now
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #497

this isnt a pic of my truck stuck in a river, its a pic of my truck driving in one.

conformal coating ftw.

badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #498
Rock Stacker

Cool Re: Water Proofing Electronics

So I know I had talked about some different ways I like to waterproof, and wondered on how some products worked. So back a bit ago I bought some Silicone Conformal Coating. Used it on some of my aircraft electronics, but never really tested it. Had a hard time wanting to try it out on some pricey stuff. So I decided to test it out on my Redcat Tremor's ESC. Let me tell you I was impressed overall. Easy to use and held up through some hot running temps and then we decided to try getting it wet. Wow! Not bad over all.

Here is that waterproof video for anyone that might want to watch it.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #499
Holmes Hobbies

corrosionX
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #500
Quarry Creeper

Any more on the fluid film? I need to waterproof my Navak Crawler for my fist comp and have a can of fluid film. Just a little nervous to try it on my esc.

Thanks
Ken
opie is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/26785-water-proofing-electronics.html
Posted By For Type Date
the Crawl Pit • View topic - How To WATERPROOF This thread Refback 10-04-2011 08:26 PM