RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Water Proofing Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/26785-water-proofing-electronics.html)

MacksSuperComp 09-23-2014 01:44 PM

Re: Water Proofing Electronics

Just started this hobby alot to learn but great but thank goodness for the forums

Smile 10-18-2014 07:42 AM

Guys, can I use corrosionx to waterproof the ESC switch? This is because my chassis has a sealed battery door, and therefore I would greatly prefer to keep the switch even in wet weather conditions.

mjderstine 10-18-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smile (Post 4922680)
Guys, can I use corrosionx to waterproof the ESC switch? This is because my chassis has a sealed battery door, and therefore I would greatly prefer to keep the switch even in wet weather conditions.

You can. Or you could wore on a water proof switch. They are available for boats and things.

idaho 11-29-2014 10:39 AM

What if anything needs to be done on the sensor wire ports when waterproofing sensored brushless? Seal it with silicone or use CorrosionX?

Jph1981 12-09-2014 09:03 AM

Has anyone tried never wet ?

Jimbow 12-09-2014 10:21 AM

Conformal coating is hands down the best method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mnster 12-09-2014 12:28 PM

There is several types of conformal coating on Amazon.com. I've heard the silicone is the easiest to work with. It should waterproof everything with a chip. However, my Mamba max with a usb side plug I gave up on and just traded it for a sw3.

GLwagon 01-04-2015 11:56 AM

I've totally lost faith in liquid electrical tape / plastidip.
I had a Sidewinder v2 go up in smoke & a friend lost a MMpro within a few weeks.

Conformal Coating may be toxic & $15 for 2oz, but it is the industry standard.

I'll spend the extra in the future & not skimp on waterproofing.

I also use liberal amounts of Dielectric Grease on all connections.

mike wagner 01-04-2015 12:25 PM

hey has anyone tried flex seal I was thinking of coating my hi tec 645 servo with it.

GLwagon 01-04-2015 03:42 PM

Flex-seal is just like spray Plasti-dip... it is a non-permanent exterior coating that works to a certain point.
Liquid Electrical Tape is the small jar form, & big can plastidip is an old faithful.
Just remember that if there is no internal o-ring on the nose of the servo water can still seep in by the horn.
A dip on the whole servo & then trim for the ears & output shaft would work, but you'd need to figure out an oring + grease on the horn side to truly finish it off.

Noll11 01-04-2015 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLwagon (Post 5102944)
I've totally lost faith in liquid electrical tape / plastidip.
I had a Sidewinder v2 go up in smoke & a friend lost a MMpro within a few weeks.

Conformal Coating may be toxic & $15 for 2oz, but it is the industry standard.

I'll spend the extra in the future & not skimp on waterproofing.

I also use liberal amounts of Dielectric Grease on all connections.

Agreed, Conformal Coating all the way. :)

mike wagner 01-08-2015 06:48 AM

thanks GL my buddy used plastic dip on his receiver and it only worked for a while.

scalemadness 01-26-2015 10:11 PM

I coated the board of a tekin fxr with nonshrinking two part epoxy a year and a half ago its in my daughters scx10 been wet alot including a few accidental submersion in the creek and its still running strong everybody has their own method and opinions but this time I just bought an cc sv3 factory waterproofed so one last worry with my tf2

fabian.f.federico 02-04-2015 10:05 AM

has anyone tryed this as a water proofing product?
Rust-Oleum® NeverWet® Liquid Repelling Treatment

badhoopty 02-04-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabian.f.federico (Post 5135739)

instead of asking the question in multiple places, try using the search button.

Radray 03-01-2015 07:11 PM

Waterproofing Tip From The Axial Blog
Axial Racing - Waterproof Your Receiver

billy bones 03-13-2015 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabian.f.federico (Post 5135739)

I bought two boxes of the stuff, home depot had it on sale for $10 but haven't tried it yet.
This MG conformal coating is awesome, I think its all I'll be using from now on.
Quote:

Waterproofing Tip From The Axial Blog
Axial Racing - Waterproof Your Receiver
This might be fine for your receiver but It seems like your esc would get warm.

Poprivet 06-11-2015 06:23 AM

Never wet!

I have used it just out of curiosity. It was amazing... for five mintes, but it wears off fast. As soon as anything touches it it stops shedding water.
I would not use it!

I am a firm believer in conformal coating on the circuit boards, and corrosionx on all the connections like servo plugs and sensor wire plugs, and switches.

MaFoDes 06-22-2015 11:16 AM

What surprises me (or i missed it completely) is the use of a waterproof ESC. I use (cheap ass) Hobbywing ESC's on al of my rigs. The G6 even had to spend some time in the salty water of the sea so i could take some pictures and small waves submerged the car every now and then.
The receiverbox i fillec with a layer of plastidip. Dipped the receiver in plastidip. Put the receiver is in a balloon. Did put it in the receiverbox. Poored on more plastidip. Covered it totally. Did put a piece of old foam (after plastidipping it) in the small gap where the wires enter the box. Been driving like this for almost 2 years now. I submerge my cars on a regular basis (because i like doing that) and never had an issue.
As for the battery....
I also believed the stories about lipo's and water. But decided to put it to the test on video. I drove my car into a creek and did let it stay there for half an hour (there was a big clock in the frame for the viewers to check that i did not cheat). After half an hour i drove it out of the creek like nothing had happened....

rkerk 06-28-2015 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaFoDes (Post 5249279)
What surprises me (or i missed it completely) is the use of a waterproof ESC. I use (cheap ass) Hobbywing ESC's on al of my rigs. The G6 even had to spend some time in the salty water of the sea so i could take some pictures and small waves submerged the car every now and then.
The receiverbox i fillec with a layer of plastidip. Dipped the receiver in plastidip. Put the receiver is in a balloon. Did put it in the receiverbox. Poored on more plastidip. Covered it totally. Did put a piece of old foam (after plastidipping it) in the small gap where the wires enter the box. Been driving like this for almost 2 years now. I submerge my cars on a regular basis (because i like doing that) and never had an issue.
As for the battery....
I also believed the stories about lipo's and water. But decided to put it to the test on video. I drove my car into a creek and did let it stay there for half an hour (there was a big clock in the frame for the viewers to check that i did not cheat). After half an hour i drove it out of the creek like nothing had happened....

Is thie video on youtube? Please share it.