Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Water Proofing Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #541

Default Re: Water Proofing Electronics

What about waterproofing led light controllers? I searched but found nothing on it. Is it necessary?
Chief64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2016, 04:56 AM   #542
Quarry Creeper

I've had good luck waterproofing just about anything....I usually use plastidip as far as any control module (I guess this would work with a light controller ) I always pop out whatever circuit board is in there put extension leads on any ports that are just direct plugs to the board then dip the whole thing .....mark what the leads go to because what you'll have is basically a black blob with wires coming out it'll work under water all day long .....also make sure you look for air bubbles and possibly dip the unit a few time after it dries just in case
stevetate12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #543

Thanks Steve, that sounds pretty solid. I'll pick up some leads and give it a shot.

I'm having trouble finding the extensions that Steve mentioned above. I don't know the name for those white, 2-wire connectors that are on the ends of the lights. I think my light kit is a bit low-end anyway, so I'm considering get this kit.

Last edited by THX_138; 08-28-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:02 AM   #544
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief64 View Post
What about waterproofing led light controllers? I searched but found nothing on it. Is it necessary?
What stevetate12 said wrt. Plastidip, or for a slightly more robust/reliable solution use epoxy resin. This might help (I get into the resin at about 09:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS_WyUEdO50

Last edited by 4WheelRC; 06-09-2016 at 05:14 AM.
4WheelRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #545
I wanna be Dave

They make dielectric grease like you use for your head lights on your truck I use that on my futaba connections after the dip of conformal coating.

149 r/c worx team driver

Last edited by snapon boy; 06-09-2016 at 07:50 AM.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #546
Quarry Creeper

Hobby king 2-3" extensions......go to hobbyking.com
Old 06-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #547

Is this what you're talking about?

250mm 4-pin Extension Cable for LED RGB Multi-Function Driver/Controller exten

That type of connector will not work with the control box that I have, nor the one in my link above. I'd need the 2-wire control box extensions, correct? Those are what I cannot find anywhere.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #548
Quarry Creeper

Just a regular 3 pin 3 inch extension......no idea what that 4 pin one is .....i have gotten them for hobby king quite a few times
Old 06-22-2016, 10:26 PM   #549
Rock Crawler

I recently waterproofed some Flysky receivers with Liquid Electrical Tape (GB brand). I did two coats with touch-up spots in-between to make sure it was a solid coat. I also filled the rest of the case with dielectric grease, particularly on the pins & in the connectors, otherwise white corrosion "dust" can create issues. I removed the goo off the status LED and the fail-safe button still works. I've done this to half a dozen and no problems in the last 4 months.

I inadvertently tested it the first time out in my boat. I flipped it on a wave, the canopy ripped off, and it only the 1st inch of bow was floating above.

Last edited by Hydrocarbon92; 06-22-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #550

Has anyone tried to waterproof an Axial NVS? Its rather big and has whole bunch of wires to it. The balloon method doesn't seem practical. Not sure that I want to plastidip it. A box would be ideal, especially if it would also hold the receiver, but I have been unable to find a box big enough and still be able to fit it in my Wraith.

Thanks.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #551

So I just coat the electrical connections with dielectric grease
Antfarm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #552

I personally have great luck using Corrosion X and marine grease. I use Corrosion X for all the electronics then use marine grease for bearings, axles and differentials.
jtran76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #553
Rock Crawler

My typical waterproofing consists of conformal coating on all the accessible PCBs followed by a soaking with CorrosionX and finally filling all voids and connectors with dielectric grease. I stay away from PlastiDip and liquid electrical tape - they don't adhere well enough to the components and can actually trap water inside.

We get an average of about 12 FEET of rain per year where I live so proper waterproofing is a must. I have yet to have a component fail after using this method, even ones that are not marketed as 'waterproof' or water resistant.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #554

I recently tried a product called never wet.. I saw a couple good videos on you tube showing esc's underwater and still working. so I gave it a shot. can't say for sure yet if it works (I'm not bout to put it in a cup of water) but if you do put a lil water on it, it works like rain x but better. ill give an update later on.. also side note. supposed to work great on litter boxes so I hooked my gf up and sprayed her *box* with it lol. the litter isn't supposed to stick
Donny939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #555
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't trust neverwet on my electronics. It's known to not last long and isn't meant to. Conformal coating or potting epoxy and dielectric grease is the way to go for a permanent solution

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by spoo76; 01-20-2017 at 04:29 PM.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #556
I wanna be Dave

Silicone conformal coating several coats let dry coat again etc. My son is 6 now but started with cralwers at age 4. Trust me Jr loves water I learned fast how to make the whole r/c water resistant.

149 r/c worx Team Driver

Last edited by snapon boy; 01-25-2017 at 10:52 PM.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #557
Rock Crawler

Conformal coating is typically UV sensitive as well so you can see see any missed spots under a black light. In the first photo, my ESC and dig servo both glow bright the conformal coating.

Name:  Conformal UV 1.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  113.9 KB

Name:  Conformal UV 2.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  40.9 KB
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #558
Quarry Creeper

Can anybody post a link of a specific conformal coating product please?
Thanks a lot!
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #559
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimfire View Post
Can anybody post a link of a specific conformal coating product please?
Thanks a lot!
This is the link to the Acrylic Conformal Coating I use.

419C - Acrylic Conformal Coating (Fast Dry) - Conformal Coatings | MG Chemicals

They also have a Silicone Conformal Coating, NOT to be confused with your normal silicone sealer in a tube from your local building supplier. I was told by an electronics friend never to use hardware store silicone on anything electronic.

422B - Silicone Conformal Coating - Conformal Coatings | MG Chemicals

Unless someone knows differently, it's an individual choice which one you prefer.

55ml bottle should run you about $15.00. Don't let the small size bother you, one bottle will do a ton of electronic items. Available at an electronics supply house, ebay, or . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by nightcrawler48; 01-26-2017 at 07:02 PM.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #560
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
My typical waterproofing consists of conformal coating on all the accessible PCBs followed by a soaking with CorrosionX and finally filling all voids and connectors with dielectric grease. I stay away from PlastiDip and liquid electrical tape - they don't adhere well enough to the components and can actually trap water inside.

We get an average of about 12 FEET of rain per year where I live so proper waterproofing is a must. I have yet to have a component fail after using this method, even ones that are not marketed as 'waterproof' or water resistant.
Thanks for the tip Mike. Been using conformal on the PCBs and dielectric grease on all connectors with good success. Never thought of filling the voids with dielectric grease but will be trying that next time I have to waterproof things like ESCs, RXs, servos, etc.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/26785-water-proofing-electronics.html
Posted By For Type Date
the Crawl Pit • View topic - How To WATERPROOF This thread Refback 10-04-2011 08:26 PM