Notices

Thread: Water Proofing Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #41

thanks guys
shigs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #42

have you guys tried that spray on electric tape? i saw some at my local auto store.
shigs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #43

The single best way to protect the electronics is some stuff we use in rc boat racing. I take my cases apart and spray Corrosion X on the boards in side servos, esc, receivers, etc. let everything dry and reassemble. You are now completely waterproof.
mr.crawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:13 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

So far I have found liquid electric tape and dielectric grease work best. I have used the liquid tape on various electronics: ESCs and RXs alike I coat teh baoards driectly with a decently thick coat, go back over the thin spots but this is restricted to surface mount electroncs only, standard component electrics (older stuff mainly, all newer stuff is surface mount tech) dont use this route, tried it on old receiver, its jsut TOO HARD to get all teh little places coated and it failed. I tested both more than once by putting the EC or RX in a bowl of water, powering up and operating on spare motors I have laying around. On my high dollar ESCs (over $50) I also pack full of dielectric after the Liquid tape dries, double protection. And for the little leds on ESCs, right after you put the liquid tape on, jsut tape a hobby blade or something of the sort and just clear a small portion of the top off so you can see the LED light up. Buttons still work just fine.

Last edited by Mav-1981; 02-24-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Mav-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #45
I joined the Band!

Default waterproofing

well i use the left over servo boxes for my esc and receiver simple but effective .ive had no problems with over heating ..so far antway..heres a pic or 2.this is for my high lift but it can be used for an ax10 also .

colonelangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

I know this thread is old but in the first post it states that the 5645 is water proof, that is not the case! I just fried one on my 2.2" scale rig a couple weeks ago. The output shaft MUST be sealed for it to be water proof. Just trying to save guys some cash.
cherokee95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigs87 View Post
thanks guys
Hey guys Im new and i just got a scorpion. And i like mud what do I need to do to it so it wont blow up,or stop
8upboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #48

Default Great info...

Tried the dielectric grease and it worked great! Good post!
mark-wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by balang_479 View Post
anyone know of any other fully waterproofed EScs???
The LRP outrunner waterproof esc is.its tiney and i was running int he stream and rain today no problems.

Last edited by madmax22; 05-02-2008 at 02:25 PM.
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #50

Question

would xl5 waterproof work as a crawler esc or would it over heat cause its a 15t esc
logoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

I j ust did my servo with plasti-dip..
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #52

what about water proofing the novac rooster brushless motor???????????

i have read that brushless and water dont mix.
specter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Rx,Esc,& 3cell li-po all in old coleslaw container (exact width of x-trail chassis) 1lb2oz rear tires don't let it float...lol
vn1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:26 AM   #54
Rock Stacker

I have the waterproof electronics from my slash other than the motor, on my rtr crawler (turned trail truck) and an going to try it out later on today and see if it all works out.
Ramboy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:25 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Default i was curious

please excuse my extreme noobness and lack of knowledge for the sport, but i need some help
i am a currently involved in the sport of rock crawling life sized rigs, and i have a 47 willys custom built buggy
i am interested in the RC version of what im doing
i read up and i think i want the wheely king as a start because of lack of money due to current upgrade to 40 spline moser hardened axles in my crawler.
i was thinking of getting the crawler conversion kit and that 174:1 gearbox thing.
i am quite confused on what parts are what and was looking for a diagram or something so i know what to waterproof
i want to learn up on it beforehand becaue i know the feeling when your cruising aroung and you see a puddle thats itchin for a rig. and it turns out 3x deeper than expected.
also, i have an RC semi and forklift so i was wondeing if you have ever seen some small tractor wheels or something that will just snap onto the wheely king so i t can fit in my semi
again, sorry for the lack of knowledge but i think you guys know what your talking about and i apreciate any advice for my issues
thanks
47willysbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:07 PM   #56

Default Water proofing Electronics

This is an often overlooked area when trying to protect your truck from the elements. You should cover all connections, such as battery plugs, that are exposed to the elements. Otherwise it's possible that moisture could seep into these plugs and short out the two wires. A few pieces of electrical tape should take care of this situation easily, just make sure to surround the entire plug as any small opening could be an entry point for water.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
danieljames
North Carolina Alcohol Addiction Treatment
danieljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #57

Default Epoxy (fiberglass) waterproofing?

hey guys i was wondering if anyone has ever used a fiberglass epoxy to waterproof a esc ?
since it dries and hardens to a glass or hard rubber consistincy it should work to waterproof the chipboard of a speed control .it could handle heat (epoxy heats up to cure) and shouldnt conduct elecricity because of the Glass/rubber
material its made of.
Im going to test it on a micro esc first to make sure i dont burn out my new one. but in theory it should work.

if you have tried this, post the results.
bugsy1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy1134 View Post
hey guys i was wondering if anyone has ever used a fiberglass epoxy to waterproof a esc ?
since it dries and hardens to a glass or hard rubber consistincy it should work to waterproof the chipboard of a speed control .it could handle heat (epoxy heats up to cure) and shouldnt conduct elecricity because of the Glass/rubber
material its made of.
Im going to test it on a micro esc first to make sure i dont burn out my new one. but in theory it should work.

if you have tried this, post the results.

I have no concrete proof but im not sure this would work, the esc needs to cool, its not about the waterproofing method needing to be able to hold up to the heat as much as the ESC overheating, please if your not afrade to kill a micro try it out and let us know...

good luck
Jeeperjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:26 PM   #59
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee95 View Post
I know this thread is old but in the first post it states that the 5645 is water proof, that is not the case! I just fried one on my 2.2" scale rig a couple weeks ago. The output shaft MUST be sealed for it to be water proof. Just trying to save guys some cash.

2x....I fried my 5645 dunking it into a lake. 5645's aren't water proof.
heeper40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM-JCJ View Post
Dielectrical grease and white lithium grease are 2 totally different things. You should be able to pick up dielectric grease at a good auto parts sstore or radio shack.
any electrical distributor will have it. Home D might to.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/26785-water-proofing-electronics.html
Posted By For Type Date
the Crawl Pit • View topic - How To WATERPROOF This thread Refback 10-04-2011 08:26 PM