Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

View Poll Results: Which motor is king for an MOA?
Holmes Hobbies Pro Handwound 40 48.78%
Team Brood Creep Type T 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Holmes Hobbies Pro handwounds or Team Brood Creep Type T ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Well, the original Warrior stuff, which would be 2007-2008, was all handwound, but we did not pattern wind them really till sometime in 2008. They weren't ordered or sold as pattern wounds......we started doing it though, as it wasn't much harder.......

The arms were still welded, epoxy dipped and balanced just as they are today.....

By late 2008, all the motors were being built by me.....they are all 100% pattern wound, they are a brood motor with a different sticker.

New stuff will be coming here shortly........been learning some new stuff from a friend that I am gonna be testing on the crawler stuff.

Later EddieO

Last edited by EddieO; 01-09-2011 at 07:08 PM.
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #22
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Pretty much common knowledge the Warrior motors are all built by me.....

Later EddieO
Quote:
Well, the original Warrior stuff, which would be 2007-2008, was all handwound, but we did not pattern wind them really till sometime in 2008. They weren't ordered or sold as pattern wounds......we started doing it though, as it wasn't much harder.......

The arms were still welded, epoxy dipped and balanced just as they are today.....

By late 2008, all the motors were being built by me.....they are all 100% pattern wound, they are a brood motor with a different sticker.

New stuff will be coming here shortly........been learning some new stuff from a friend that I am gonna be testing on the crawler stuff.

Later EddieO

Well i didn't know, but jp had r/t's for sale and holmes was ouy, so i decided to try jp warriors out.

So yes, i guess i have run brood and hh motors, and my hh hand wounds we're better imo, i'm sure on other moa's its hard to tell the diff, but my torque hungry losi moa was alot smoother with hh handwounds, and had more grunt when i needed. I was gonna sell these warriors awhile back to get hh handwounds, but then jrh teased me with some brushless stuff, so i've been holding back, but the new crawlmasters are pretty tempting till the the puller pros come out.

But i have been torture testing these warriors and they have held up, i've broke lots of cvd pins, used to strip alot of worms, and i've stalled the motor alot of times at full throttle. and they still are fine, but are in serious need of a lathe job, just no power is jumping out of them like it used too, kinda drizzles (this is probably gonna be someones sig now eeepee)
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
While it looks like a brush exploded and chipped the comm, though it could of been a rock or something.....arm is toast.

I don't think thats a brood arm though, at least the way the pic looks. The arm appears to be soldered not welded.... I only made certain teardowns for CKRC.....if it was a chrome can, thats a Fantom made motor....if it was a 4 magnet can, light gold color, I made them those. I don't think I shipped them any chrome can stuff.

Later EddieO
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ckrc-twi...50110e91360c9e man it is a chrome can..and ckrc is selling them as made by ''team brood motors''..if they are fantom motors then that what im going with..just not from ckrc
richardgarrett56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I've repeatedly asked CKRC to fix their site, as multiple things are incorrect.....the webpages are basically a combo of copying and pasting mine and fantom motor descriptions.

You have a pretty good gripe.....add says 4 magnet can, you got a 2 magnet can.....

I am guessing the wind was older stock or a wind I did not sell them......but all the pages were changed to be the same.

I sold the motors OEM to him......

When did you buy it?

Later EddieO

Last edited by EddieO; 01-09-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I personally would like to see the poll part removed from this thread good info on here but no need to put them against each other.Both builders seem to be great guys making great products for the same hobby and seem to go out of there way to help us and even each other from some of the threads I've read. Everybody is different and will chose things for different reasons and they give us choices that we can't go wrong no matter which way you go. Isn't that good enuff?
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

I deffinately agree
out4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertec View Post
I personally would like to see the poll part removed from this thread good info on here but no need to put them against each other.Both builders seem to be great guys making great products for the same hobby and seem to go out of there way to help us and even each other from some of the threads I've read. Everybody is different and will chose things for different reasons and they give us choices that we can't go wrong no matter which way you go. Isn't that good enuff?
Nicly sais Vertec, I chose BROODS for the reason that EddieO stand behind his stuff( as dose John), They are smooth( just like HH), They got great torque( as dose HH), but you can PM EddieO any question. As John's PM isent shut off. Thats my .02. I understand that John is a moderator and dosent want to be bothered while he is doing work on the site. I just like the piece of mind that I can PM him any tech questions I may have on these great motor and he gets right back to me super fast.

Last edited by Jeepkid; 01-09-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

asking which motor is better is kinda like asking which beer is better... opinions are like a--holes , everybody has one....
irishgunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgunslinger1 View Post
asking which motor is better is kinda like asking which beer is better... opinions are like a--holes , everybody has one....
100% true... ran my brood for the first time last night. I have nothing but great things to say... never ran a hh 540 but have ran his puller and many of his esc. Both guys are great to deal with both answer questions when asked weather one is via pm and the other is on the tech thread you always learn what you want. For my xr-10 I can't lie I'm very torn who to go through. I'll have ot see who has the latest greatest thing at the time. I know both guys have a few proto motors going right now but I also kinda owe it to Eddie as he made a mistake in my favor so it's a hard toss up but like mentioned above you will be happy no matter what, and you will find people with every opinion under the sun!
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

I've got a solution, get two rigs and run both brands of motors. I do.
RIG_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by out4crawlin View Post
I deffinately agree
x3.

I own multiple motors from both guys and they are all great. I ran br00d motors for a long time when I was racing (even carried them when I managed a LHS) and they have never let me down. The first 2 handwound crawler motors I bought were HH and they are both still potent today. I still buy motors from both builders today. The one thing to remember is to support these guys because they support us through our site and through moving our hobby forward.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I've repeatedly asked CKRC to fix their site, as multiple things are incorrect.....the webpages are basically a combo of copying and pasting mine and fantom motor descriptions.

You have a pretty good gripe.....add says 4 magnet can, you got a 2 magnet can.....

I am guessing the wind was older stock or a wind I did not sell them......but all the pages were changed to be the same.

I sold the motors OEM to him......

When did you buy it?

Later EddieO
around 7 months ago..and they have been turned around 4 0r 5 times
richardgarrett56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I didn't ship them their first motors till late august.......they didn't update their page until they got them.

Later EddieO
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Nicly sais Vertec, I chose BROODS for the reason that EddieO stand behind his stuff( as dose John), They are smooth( just like HH), They got great torque( as dose HH), but you can PM EddieO any question. As John's PM isent shut off. Thats my .02. I understand that John is a moderator and dosent want to be bothered while he is doing work on the site. I just like the piece of mind that I can PM him any tech questions I may have on these great motor and he gets right back to me super fast.
Although his PM is shut off, he has his e-mail address listed. I have found him to be very responsive to that.

This is like a ford vs. Chevy argument...buy one and learn for yourself"
Chi Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

I know e-mail, but I dont like hopping back and forth checking my e-mail when this site has all the answers. I like it simple. I'm not being a dick, but it took about 5 day for him to respond to a friend of mines e-mail. It made him change his mind on going HH. I'm not bashing, just stating fact. I will be getting some HH motor action soon, for my mini project. Thought about pullers on my moa too.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
I know e-mail, but I dont like hopping back and forth checking my e-mail when this site has all the answers. I like it simple. I'm not being a dick, but it took about 5 day for him to respond to a friend of mines e-mail. It made him change his mind on going HH. I'm not bashing, just stating fact. I will be getting some HH motor action soon, for my mini project. Thought about pullers on my moa too.
You shouldnt judge Holme's customer service on the fact that your too lazy to check your own E-mail, isnt that what it's for??? Shall I remind you this is 2011 & thats how this world communicates??

Holmes offers great customer service, hes answered probably 50+ emails from me in a timely manner & has always given me all the technical answers I needed.

Not saying he or his products are better than Eddie/Brood but I can honestly say he stands behind his products & I will continue to buy from him in the future
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Yeah he answered yours, but my friends? Nope. Just saying that is why he is going a different route. I'm not bash or anything, but its cool the flame me. Its the internet, you can get away with it. I'm not being a dick towards HH.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #38
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Try getting 30 to 40 people PMing you daily, then see how much you like using the PM system VS email. It has no way to search or easily track things. Thus, I just can't use it effectively compared to using emails. Besides that, my inbox gets full at 1000. That is a week or two when I have PMs turned on.

Sometimes emails get caught in the spam filter, sometimes I may miss them or get behind. A few hours a day of just emails is hard to keep up with sometimes. Give your buddy my apologies for being slow for me

As to the motor differences, it has been explained fairly well in this thread. I think just about anybody would be happy with either option. We both build high quality motors, we both use top notch techniques. Whereas Brood has many motor "names" with different options of build, I just have one name with the options all available on it.

I currently use both 5mm and 4mm web arms, with the 4mm being a rarely requested item. We are considering getting more 4 magnet cans and laydown hoods on the next shipment, and have a fresh batch of balancing epoxy on the way to allow for more steel mass on the arm. That will allow a few more build options from Holmes in the future.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Try getting 30 to 40 people PMing you daily, then see how much you like using the PM system VS email. It has no way to search or easily track things. Thus, I just can't use it effectively compared to using emails. Besides that, my inbox gets full at 1000. That is a week or two when I have PMs turned on.

Sometimes emails get caught in the spam filter, sometimes I may miss them or get behind. A few hours a day of just emails is hard to keep up with sometimes. Give your buddy my apologies for being slow for me

As to the motor differences, it has been explained fairly well in this thread. I think just about anybody would be happy with either option. We both build high quality motors, we both use top notch techniques. Whereas Brood has many motor "names" with different options of build, I just have one name with the options all available on it.

I currently use both 5mm and 4mm web arms, with the 4mm being a rarely requested item. We are considering getting more 4 magnet cans and laydown hoods on the next shipment, and have a fresh batch of balancing epoxy on the way to allow for more steel mass on the arm. That will allow a few more build options from Holmes in the future.
John explained it perfectly!!!!!
goofylundeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #40
dnf

I always hate sesing these threads
Look,holmes has a better looking sticker IMO

I have inspected/tested several of both Johns and Eddies motors

BOTH ARE UNDENIABLY WORTHY

Both John and Eddie have been more than helpfull to me.
I choose to run Johns,not cuz his are better,or cuz Eddie's are lesser.

The info John has left behind,the tech threads,ect was a HUGE help for me.
That inturn,compeleld me to run his product,that and I was ablle to meet him
at nationals.He really is a great character,and I saw him helping everyone
that approached him,even the brood guys

I'll tell ya though,there is more to it that brood/holmes

lets call brood,chevy and holmes,ford
ok,which is better,the 350 with light crank or 383?
A stroked 302 or a 351?

Its the same for these motors,hell the only thing my 2 current motors have in common is the wind,and I'm gonna try someting unorthadox there too later.

Look,you cant go wrong with a brood/holmes with a 7.5 comm and standup brushes,its all preferance after that.

Last edited by rock hard; 01-10-2011 at 02:01 PM.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote