Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Keep or Sell my Futaba 3PK Super 2.4Ghz Radio System ? Opinions needed . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Keep or Sell my Futaba 3PK Super 2.4Ghz Radio System ? Opinions needed . . .

Hey Guys,

I'm sure many of ya'll have seen my other thread asking if the Futaba 3PL would be a good radio system for my various vehicles. In short currently own 3.5 Clods (One Stock, One Clodzilla II, One Custom Long Chassis, One disassembled), a Juggernaut 2, and today I have a mint CR-01 coming in.

I thought my Futaba 3PK was a bit too much of a radio for me so I was thinking about selling it for a different radio system, at first the 3PL but then decided that the 4PL would be the perfect radio system for me.

However I started taking at look at Harley's how to thread which can be used for the 3PK as well, and I'm find 3PK is a good radio.

Here's my question to ya'll. Should I keep the radio as of right now it does what I need very well or should I go ahead sell it, get a Futaba 4PL when it comes out and then I will have a Radio System that I will be able to grow with as I get more into Crawling, especially the dig feature which seems highly recommended for competition ready crawler (example Axial XR-10).

I'm on the fence, its the best radio I have ever owned, its solid and the menu system has a wonderful layout . . . any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Disjaukfia
disjaukifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Keep it as a spare radio for a backup or lend to a friend.
Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhair View Post
Keep it as a spare radio for a backup or lend to a friend.
The selling this radio was going to pay for the 4PL . . . otherwise I would do that . . .

-Disjaukifa
Old 09-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I used a 3PK for a long time before getting a 4PK. The 3PK is an amazing radio and actually had better range than my 4PK, but it is only 3 channels.

The only reaon I upgraded is because I wanted a dig channel on my super.

The cheapest radio is the one you already have, I say keep it and upgrade when you need to, my guess is the 3PK will grow with you a lot longer than you think.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
I used a 3PK for a long time before getting a 4PK. The 3PK is an amazing radio and actually had better range than my 4PK, but it is only 3 channels.

The only reaon I upgraded is because I wanted a dig channel on my super.

The cheapest radio is the one you already have, I say keep it and upgrade when you need to, my guess is the 3PK will grow with you a lot longer than you think.
Thanks for the good advice engineerjoe. As much as I like the look of the new 4PL coming out, I think I might have to agree with you and hold off and just stick with the 3PK . . .

Opinions still welcome!

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 09-21-2010, 04:40 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Right now it is hard to make a side by side feature comparison with the 3PK and the 4PL because there is no manual (that I have seen at this time) for the 4PL online to download.

Once a manual is available, download it and list all the features of the 3PK, 4PL and 4PKS radios - best to do that in 3 columns or different sheets of paper for each one. Cross off all the matching features until you are left with a few.

With those remaining features ask yourself:
  • Do I need those right now?
  • Will I get an RC in the future that it will come in handy?
Place a yes or no next to each feature. Once you are finished, pick the radio with the most usable features (present & future) and just start saving.
Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhair View Post
Right now it is hard to make a side by side feature comparison with the 3PK and the 4PL because there is no manual (that I have seen at this time) for the 4PL online to download.

Once a manual is available, download it and list all the features of the 3PK, 4PL and 4PKS radios - best to do that in 3 columns or different sheets of paper for each one. Cross off all the matching features until you are left with a few.

With those remaining features ask yourself:
  • Do I need those right now?
  • Will I get an RC in the future that it will come in handy?
Place a yes or no next to each feature. Once you are finished, pick the radio with the most usable features (present & future) and just start saving.
LongHair, thank you for the suggestion, that is probably the most objective way to see what radio system will do what I need. I might start doing that now with several radios including the 3PL since initially that was the radio system I wanted.

I'm going to make a spreadsheet tonight to see what I need and what each radio system has to offer!

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 09-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i have a 3PKs as well and i believe if you use a spectrum module system in can serve you as a 4 channel system with the bind ports of the spektrum receivers.

it has all the options of the 4PK except for some switches i guess but the 3PKs is a solid high end radio which has the multiple options of the 2.4 ghz module system from either futaba;spektrum;JR; etc etc .... that for me is a plus ..... and the spektrum receivers are half the price of futaba rx's as well ...

if ya aint goin super class ... the 3PKs is worth keeping
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawb View Post
i have a 3PKs as well and i believe if you use a spectrum module system in can serve you as a 4 channel system with the bind ports of the spektrum receivers.

it has all the options of the 4PK except for some switches i guess but the 3PKs is a solid high end radio which has the multiple options of the 2.4 ghz module system from either futaba;spektrum;JR; etc etc .... that for me is a plus ..... and the spektrum receivers are half the price of futaba rx's as well ...

if ya aint goin super class ... the 3PKs is worth keeping
I have a Spektrum SM1000 module and SR3000 receivers. I know the SR300 have a bind port, how would I set it up to use the bind port as a 4th channel ?

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 09-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

the bind port is where you hook up your BEC. Throttle for your ESC. Steering for Steering and the Aux channel for dig .....

this has been my set-up and its been working well for me .....

just play around with the switches on the 3PKs on which set-up is suitable for you

do a search as well on this ..... i believe there is a diagram on here somewhere of what i just said

cheers
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawb View Post
the bind port is where you hook up your BEC. Throttle for your ESC. Steering for Steering and the Aux channel for dig .....

this has been my set-up and its been working well for me .....

just play around with the switches on the 3PKs on which set-up is suitable for you

do a search as well on this ..... i believe there is a diagram on here somewhere of what i just said

cheers
I don't use a BEC . . . its my understanding that the receivers have them built-in . . . unless I'm not thinking of the same thing you are . . . you are talking about the Battery Eliminator Circuit right?

Thanks
Disjaukifa