Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: lots of electronic questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default lots of electronic questions

OK, I am rebuilding my Berg, it is currently set up with a Rooster crawler ESC powering Novak 55t's on 3800mah 6 cell nimh batteries. I want to go 3s, so I have already decided I need to upgrade my ESC.

1st question, what ESC is best for me? As I said I want to go 3s, so I was thinking the Sidewinder? Is there an ESC out there that has a large enough built in BEC so I don't have to purchase one seperatly? Do all the crawler type ESC's have the lipo low voltage shutdown?

2nd question, I currently get a solid 45 minutes of runtime with my nimh batteries, I would like to get about the same when I make the switch to 3s, what mah should I be looking for? I eventually plan to switch to 45t's or possibly even 35t's will that make a big diffrence in runtime? What brand of battery is good? What brand of charger?

3rd question, why are hand wound motors so much better than machine wound?
tigman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Got Worms?

1st. Holmes Hobbies BR-XL its got a built in bec and the specs are way better than the sidwinder.

2nd. 45mins, not sure i don't run bergs not sure how power hungry they are but most people runn 1500's and around 30 mins of crawling time, i get about 15 on my losi moa but it requires more power. Um dlux sales an 1800mah, abunch of people run turnigies (hobbyking.com), maxamps is a good lipo but a little pricy but it comes with 3 year warranty, also cheapbatterypacks.com is a good source for batts. Motor wise i'm not sure, and charger anything will work from the cheap turnigy 30 dollar one from hk or the 200+ hyperion. I'm running a racers edge charger with no complaints, about 100 bucks. Oh and HH has batter ypacks also

3rd Hand wound motors are better because they are made of higher quality parts (usually) They are all balanced and stuff, the windings are much nicer and tighter giving more power, and our rcc motor vendors have great customer support. I reccomend getting a holmes Hobbies handwounds if you go that route, he also now has them for sale in matched pairs for moa's
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

OK, I am rebuilding my Berg, it is currently set up with a Rooster crawler ESC powering Novak 55t's on 3800mah 6 cell nimh batteries. I want to go 3s, so I have already decided I need to upgrade my ESC.

1st question, what ESC is best for me? As I said I want to go 3s, so I was thinking the Sidewinder? Is there an ESC out there that has a large enough built in BEC so I don't have to purchase one seperatly? Do all the crawler type ESC's have the lipo low voltage shutdown?
Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster BR-XL is the best ESC out there IMO. Lots of people either run those or Tekin FXR's. The BR-XL has an internal BEC, but it's only 6v.

2nd question, I currently get a solid 45 minutes of runtime with my nimh batteries, I would like to get about the same when I make the switch to 3s, what mah should I be looking for? I eventually plan to switch to 45t's or possibly even 35t's will that make a big diffrence in runtime? What brand of battery is good? What brand of charger?
One comment I'll make about long run times, is they require heavy batteries... I'd trade off less weight for less runtime any day! Hyperion makes good chargers. And my experience with different Lipos is that all the ones I have tried out are all the same, no difference in performance between my Thunderpower packs vs. HobbyKing cheapos. I'm sure others will disagree and have stories.

I'll leave this one to the pros, but mainly more copper is wound by hand because of the skill hand-winders have. Tighter winds, different patterns and such...
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
www.team3sixrc.com

1. Sidewinder (youll need a BEC) or BR-XL (you wont be required to have one)
a. a Bec isnt that difficult to use,nor will it add much weight to make any issue.

2. Run time isnt constant for anyone, I would say with (1) 1500mah 3S pack with a 35T hand wound youll get 45 Minutes easy.
so in a berg I would imagine a 2500mah 3S would be plenty. I have to figure the same goes for berg guys, purchase about 3 or 4 Turnigy 2200 3S 40C batteries and youll be good for each course. you always want a strong new battery per course anyways. and most batteries come with a JST-XH charge tap plug now a days, so what ever battery you get, be sure to see if it comes with that plug tap. as far as the battery connection. Traxxas or Deans are your best bet. less resistance. I am a deans guy myself.
Batteries should run ya about $12.00 each.... Get em here http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._40C_Lipo_Pack
a. most ESC have a LVC, but you really shouldnt need it if you just run your battery per course. I have a lipo meter that you can get for $6.00 and it will tell you the voltage in each cell and then a total voltage. good to have to keep your cells in check and know when to charge.
b. I have a Hyperion and havent looked back, but you can get a Racers Edge charger and it will be just as good. You want a charger with a built in balancer or that comes with a balancer. RPPHobby.com sells them and others.

3. Hand wound is better than machine wound.
35T is more torquey then 45t, But 45T will drag less power than 35T. But there is a lot more to it, than what I can explain here.
go to my website and read. good info to learn.
as far as motors go, I would choose either Holmes Hobbies,Team Brood or JP. all excellent motors and excellent guys to deal with.
http://www.team3sixrc.com/electronics101.htm
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

1. I run a sidewinder and i love it. that being said my next esc will be a Teken fxr due to the size and drag break and solder on connections.

2. I run 1200 - 1500 lipo on dual 65t and i can get 45 min out of them as long as i am not bound up the whole time. hyperion makes a nice 1100 that i have been drooling over at the lhs, it will be my next purchase. also love my hyperion charger!

3. I run cheapo integys that i had my motor guy re-zap and tune up a little, they work. for the best, buy a hand-wound. they are crafted better. its like comparing a nice zippo lighter to a china knock-off or $100 kitchen knives to the kmart $10 ones. you get what you pay for.
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
a. a Bec isnt that difficult to use,nor will it add much weight to make any issue.

http://www.team3sixrc.com/electronics101.htm
forgot about that
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjdavid View Post

Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster BR-XL is the best ESC out there IMO. Lots of people either run those or Tekin FXR's. The BR-XL has an internal BEC, but it's only 6v.

One comment I'll make about long run times, is they require heavy batteries... I'd trade off less weight for less runtime any day! Hyperion makes good chargers. And my experience with different Lipos is that all the ones I have tried out are all the same, no difference in performance between my Thunderpower packs vs. HobbyKing cheapos. I'm sure others will disagree and have stories.

I'll leave this one to the pros, but mainly more copper is wound by hand because of the skill hand-winders have. Tighter winds, different patterns and such...

yj's right
the guys at nats running the holmes esc swear by the brake
I myself am hooked on the fxr,I like to be able to push a couple of buttons and reprogram the esc.

and again the smaller battery is the way to go IMO
your not out as much money if ones goes bad,and the smaller 3s batteries are fairly cheap.

a handwound brushed motor will give you the absolute best feel,control,power.
for me my machine wound novaks had plenty of high end power.
but in those siuations when you need absolute low speed control,power,
they were lacking.When I droped in my handwound 35's,the feel at the low end is so smooth. It was instantly much,much easier to drive a technical line with finese.

as far as brands of motors
we have 2 great vendors here on rcc who can hook you up.[brood]&[holmes]
both have great motors,you just have to pick your poison.
I would go with a 45t if your not launching your truck much.If you do like to launch it, you need to go with a 35t
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Not much to add over what's been said but; I run dual 35T HH handwounds on a Holmes ESC in my Berg. I get an easy 45min of run time on a 3s 1800mAh Turngy nano tech 25c lipo
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11908

I would not trade this set up, I am very happy with the combination of wheel speed and torque.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

OK convince me which one to get, pros and cons of each please.

HH BR-XL
Tekin FXR
Sidewinder

I need minimum of 3s, built in lipo cutoff and BEC a plus. The Tekin claims it's on board programmable, to what extent and how user friendly is it? Price is about the same when you figure in a seperate BEC for the Tekin and the Sidewinder, so lets hear the pros and cons of each.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
Got Worms?

HH has built in bec, almost unlimited amount of amps through it, i have ran to cobolt pullers on 1 esc. Holmes hold, its a biiger than the fxr. Iff size is an issue go fxr, other than hh is your best bet, oh its up to a 6s fxr is only a 3s max
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigman250 View Post
OK convince me which one to get, pros and cons of each please.

HH BR-XL
Will handle 6s, ya may get by without a bec, Great brake (hold). Big, heavy and need cc link to program.
Tekin FXR
Will run 3s, small, light, good brake and simple to program. Harder to solder leads, needs a bec and may be borderline with one esc and two 35t motors. Combos are great bang for the buck!
Sidewinder
Will run 3s, cheaper. Big. heavy (same case as hh), needs bec and cc link to program.

I need minimum of 3s, built in lipo cutoff and BEC a plus. The Tekin claims it's on board programmable, to what extent and how user friendly is it? Price is about the same when you figure in a seperate BEC for the Tekin and the Sidewinder, so lets hear the pros and cons of each.

Thanks!
The hh is maybe more than anyone needs but nothing wrong with that! I run sidewinders in my brushed bashers and fxrs in my dual esc comp rigs.

Last edited by oldhippie; 09-14-2010 at 01:38 PM.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #12

Can someone tell me more about the low voltage cutoff?

Do all the esc's that tigman is looking at have the LVC? Do they need to be programmed depending on cell count?
rustyrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #13

Can someone tell me more about the low voltage cutoff?

Do all the esc's that tigman is looking at have the LVC? Do they need to be programmed depending on cell count?
rustyrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #14
www.team3sixrc.com

an LVC is just a cut off built into the ESC to control the voltage at a certain point. this is nessesary to 1. help with having a dead battery while driving, and 2. to keep the lipo's from passing the area of no return.

Sometimes youcan program it by pushing the buttons on the ESC as per the little piece of paper that it comes with,lol. And or with a link to a computer via a download from the makers website. I believe all of the mentioned can be programmed.

OK, now what I have to say about the last question. Honestly everyone has a prefrence, its hard to ask people their opions on the Pro's and Con's when all the 3 ESC's mentioned are all great power sources. Honestly you cant loose no matter what way you go. I myself am very much into and believe in the Tekin line because of dealing with Ty and Randy. But John has also always done me right with his awesome motors. the new kid on the block with the motors is Team Brood and from past experiance of dealing with these motors before the crawling market. SICK, SICK! and again, dealing with JP's motors. I have used them all and love them all. so have no fear! all the guys make a great product which is why they sell so well again and again and again.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

So the HH BR-XL has a 6v BEC, my steering servo will only see 6v correct? Do the other ESC's have adjustable BECs? Or would I have to go with the external CC BEC to get adjustability? What does the Rooster crawler ESC offer for voltage to servo? (just for comparison reasons)

Will the HH BR-XL handle two 35t's on 3s if I decide to go that route?

thanks for all your help!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #16
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I am not aware of the BEC being adjustable on other ESCs, besides the Mamba Max Pro. You can go up to 7v on it, but it is only rated for 3 amps.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote