Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Stick vs. Pistol Grip for 4+ Channel Radios Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Stick vs. Pistol Grip for 4+ Channel Radios Question

Hey Guys,

I noticed alot of people are going with Spektrum DX6i/Futaba 6EX system for their crawling rigs.

Whats the advantage to a stick setup vs. a pistol grip. I know the Futaba 6EX is way cheaper than a 4PK, but can you make the left stick self centering?

Just curious!

Thanks
Disjaukifa
disjaukifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Got Worms?

Price is why, otherwise i'm sure 4pk would be people choice. I picked up my dx6 for 80 bucks and a 5$ mod to get the left stick rtc and it was a crawler radio. You can full control of each axle independently if you have enough coordination or use a mix 90% of the time and turn it off when you need to have independent control
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Price is why, otherwise i'm sure 4pk would be people choice. I picked up my dx6 for 80 bucks and a 5$ mod to get the left stick rtc and it was a crawler radio. You can full control of each axle independently if you have enough coordination or use a mix 90% of the time and turn it off when you need to have independent control
How do you mod it? Do you know if it can be done for the Futaba 6EX?

Thanks
Disjaukfia
Old 09-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yes ya can mod the 6ex pretty easy (it has become the radio of choice around here). There was a guy here selling the parts to mod the dx6i and I'm sure there is a thread on it. The advantage of sticks is independent control of the front and rear motors. If ya can work sticks they do provide more/better/easier control, no matter what the 4pk guys tell ya. I'm a little too uncoordinated, but alot of the top runners around here run sticks.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
Yes ya can mod the 6ex pretty easy (it has become the radio of choice around here). There was a guy here selling the parts to mod the dx6i and I'm sure there is a thread on it. The advantage of sticks is independent control of the front and rear motors. If ya can work sticks they do provide more/better/easier control, no matter what the 4pk guys tell ya. I'm a little too uncoordinated, but alot of the top runners around here run sticks.
How can I mod the 6EX and how could I set it up so I don't always have to do independent rear steer? I would like to be able to mix it up if you know what I mean between front steer, rear steer, all wheel steer, and think the last one is called crab?

Thats basically what I want to be able to do, it would be nice to have a switch to make the front and rear use independent sticks but for most of the time I want them to be linked.

I've done some searching but haven't found anything yet

I still might wait for the 4PL however if I can find a cheap 6EX, it would be worth trying.

-Disjaukifa