Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 02:36 AM   #2081
Proverbial threadkiller

Red face Re: Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help

I recently picked up a 4PL, and it came with Model Memory 1 set up for a Special Op, which I assume to be an MOA. Channel 1 is steering, channel 3 is the 3 position switch, and channels 2 & 4 are throttle. I checked all the screens that I know of and all trims are set to 0 and all EPAs to 100%.

Channel 2 is fine, no problem. Channel 4 seems to be overtraveling. If I use the DT4 slide, I can get it peeled back to where channel 4 stops at 100% fwd just like channel 2. However I can't get reverse on channel 4 to stop at 100%. Reverse on 4 seems to be about 118% or basically one column short of the outermost bar, whereas channel 2 stops at the 100% mark.

Like I said, i haven't found a screen yet where the trims or EPAs were set all wonky, every screen I've found looks good. Anyone know what I may be overlooking?

Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #2082
mrG
RCC Addict

Default Re: Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help

Check your programmable mix settings
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
Ok, call me a dummy, but my screen goes blank, everything works, but I can't see anything to use the display. Are these super sensitive to sun or heat. I never just leave it in the open sun, I find shade to lay it down, and I always make sure the screen does not sit in direct sunlight. Today I went to practice, it was hot and humid and sure enough my screen was blank. After about 10min in the shade it finally became visible. That remote was never over 88*. I took it from my garage, to my truck, drove 10min to comp spot with ac going, then got out and screen was blank. Is something week in my remote, or is it just super sensitive.
Exact same thing happens to my 4PLS. Screen goes blank when the unit is warm but comes back later when it cools off a bit. I've had it sent it and they replaced the LCD but the issue doesn't seem fixed as the same thing happend a few days after I got it back from futaba.

Did you ever get your issue resolved?
canbarelyhover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #2084
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
I recently picked up a 4PL, and it came with Model Memory 1 set up for a Special Op, which I assume to be an MOA. Channel 1 is steering, channel 3 is the 3 position switch, and channels 2 & 4 are throttle. I checked all the screens that I know of and all trims are set to 0 and all EPAs to 100%.

Channel 2 is fine, no problem. Channel 4 seems to be overtraveling. If I use the DT4 slide, I can get it peeled back to where channel 4 stops at 100% fwd just like channel 2. However I can't get reverse on channel 4 to stop at 100%. Reverse on 4 seems to be about 118% or basically one column short of the outermost bar, whereas channel 2 stops at the 100% mark.

Like I said, i haven't found a screen yet where the trims or EPAs were set all wonky, every screen I've found looks good. Anyone know what I may be overlooking?

What you are seeing is due to the ESC-RT function.

If you are not using the dual ESC programming than I suggest resetting the model and going from there. You should start with a fresh model on every new truck.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #2085
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
.......... I suggest resetting the model and going from there.
My thought exactly, just didn't know what was making it do that. Thank you for the tip.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #2086
Quarry Creeper

Just picked up a 4pls . Got it working for my xr and now looking to set it up on the wraith with a winch. How do I use the winch on this Tx? Like spool line out and spool line in. Or is it even possible on this Tx? Thanks for the help.
Diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #2087
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo666 View Post
now looking to set it up on the wraith with a winch. How do I use the winch on this Tx?
Your slide switch (SW2) should default to channel 3. Check your screen, but I would think it'd be channel 1 steering, channel 2 ESC, and channel 3 winch. Then your winch's controller should just plug into the receiver channel 3 and away you go.

Or is your Wraith dual steer? (occupying channels 1 & 3)

Or are you trying to set up a different switch (DT1-DT4) to control the winch?

You're not trying to set up both the XR and the Wraith on the same model memory, are you?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #2088
Quarry Creeper

No duel steer and xr has owe receiver and owe model memory. I would like to have it on dt3 or dt4 don't matter just trying to figure it out. Thanks for the help. I will try and look at that sw2 stuff.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #2089
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No dual steer and the XR-10 has it's own receiver and own model memory. I would like to have it on dt3 or dt4, doesn't matter just trying to figure it out. Thanks for the help. I will try and look at that sw2 stuff.
Spell check is a wonderful thing.

For the winch, I believe you want a "3 position switch" for whatever channel you're using for it.

Duel = "fighting"
Dual = "two"
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #2090
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
I would like to have it on dt3 or dt4 don't matter just trying to figure it out.
Okay, I just went and tried to do that on mine to see how it's done, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong, or if it just doesn't work that way.

I set up my DT3 to control channel 4 and got it working, but the DT switch acted just like a trim in that I had to hold it in one direction and let it build up. Unless I'm doing it wrong, I think with a winch it'd be kind of a pain to sit there and hold the DT until the winch got going fast enough. Then you'd have to hold it in the other direction to get the thing to stop.

The SW2 might not be in a convenient spot, but at least it's a full on-off-on, so your winch runs at full speed soon as it's called into duty.

If anybody's figured out how to use the DTs as on-off-on, please post up. I'd like to learn about that, too.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #2091
Quarry Creeper

I also must be doing something wrong. I can't get the sw2 switch to work the winch. It says it working on screen but no power to winch or any noise.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #2092
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Okay, I just went and tried to do that on mine to see how it's done, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong, or if it just doesn't work that way.

I set up my DT3 to control channel 4 and got it working, but the DT switch acted just like a trim in that I had to hold it in one direction and let it build up. Unless I'm doing it wrong, I think with a winch it'd be kind of a pain to sit there and hold the DT until the winch got going fast enough. Then you'd have to hold it in the other direction to get the thing to stop.

The SW2 might not be in a convenient spot, but at least it's a full on-off-on, so your winch runs at full speed soon as it's called into duty.

If anybody's figured out how to use the DTs as on-off-on, please post up. I'd like to learn about that, too.
Quote:
I also must be doing something wrong. I can't get the sw2 switch to work the winch. It says it working on screen but no power to winch or any noise.
Did either of you set of that switch as a 3 position switch????

Stock I believe it's a "trim switch", thus the need to hold it. As a 3 position switch, it should do "100 - 0 - -100"

Do you have the (2 year old??) crawler update??
Old 10-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #2093
Quarry Creeper

On the LCD screen when I use the sw2 button it goes to 100 then I put in center it goes 0. I think that I have new update with the pls but I could be wrong. How do I setup a 3 position switch? I have seen a mod that you have to solder in a few things. Is that the one you thinking about.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #2094
Quarry Creeper

I got it to work on the sw2 button. Now the problem is the winch motor is always running even in neutral. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #2095
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I would have to have my radio in front of me to try and figure out the on-off-on but the way you have it now sounds like it may be pretty good depending on what you are using for a winch controller. If I'm not mistaken you could calibrate you esc that controls your winch on the second or third click away from center and that would be full throttle in that direction on your winch. It sounds pretty nice to have 2 or 3 speed settings especially if you are running a fast servo winch.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #2096
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Did either of you set of that switch as a 3 position switch????
Don't know how yet, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III
Do you have the (2 year old??) crawler update??
Purchased used, no idea on updates.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #2097
I wanna be Dave

D666.... early in this thread they tell you how to determine if you have the update or not.
As to the "3 position switch", that is for a simpler radio that needs a mod. The 4PL is just a setting in the TX software. I don't have my sons 4PL in front of me, thus can't help.

Trubble, same thing, early in this thread is info on seeing if you have the update.

For both of you, the update should not hinder getting a 3 position switch set, it's more for dual ESC mixing, etc.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #2098
RCC Addict

I use my 4pl on three different rigs. On my Ridgecrest I use DT4 for the dig. On my scale SCX10 I use DT3 for the two speed tranny and DT4 for the winch. I got this all set up by using Harley's help in the beginning of this thread.

Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help

Last edited by Norton; 10-13-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #2099
Quarry Creeper

To setup a DT switch for 3 positions set the Step amount on the TRIM.DIAL screen to 100. See pages 60 and 61 in the manual.

Now be warned, this will not be momentary: from neutral you push the DT switch to start the winch in one direction, then pull the DT to come back to neutral and stop the winch. Do the opposite for the other direction. If you want momentary action you need to physically modify the radio as per my thread since the software doesn't support it.
4PL 3 Position Momentary Switch Mod

If your winch drifts when in neutral you can adjust the trim in the CH3 CH4 menu.
YJ_Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #2100

Hi

What is the 4PL "dig switch glitch" mentioned early in this thread ? I did a search and didn't get anywhere, having a small blip of power to the rear motor when on front dig,thought it might be the ESC but now thinking it might be a transmitter issue.

Thanks
Dave
dnsinoz is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/277689-futaba-4pl-setup-tips-tricks-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
Futaba 4PL - Modelbouwforum.nl This thread Refback 11-08-2011 05:06 AM
Scaler Radio Help - Radios & Servos @ URC Forums This thread Refback 11-02-2011 02:46 PM
e-Modelismo - Maior Comunidade de Modelismo em Português - Ver Tópico - Futaba 4PL This thread Refback 10-27-2011 03:41 PM
Futaba 4PL 4-Channel 2.4GHz SFHSS Transmitter/Receiver - RemoteD - Fjärrstyrd Hobby This thread Refback 10-24-2011 03:51 AM
Futaba T4PL - Elektronik - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 10-11-2011 04:01 AM
4PL Dual ESC - YouTube This thread Refback 10-09-2011 08:27 AM
ZONACRAWLING • Ver Tema - emisora 4pl This thread Refback 10-05-2011 04:42 PM