Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Sounds like your ESC hasn't been programmed for reverse. Have you set both ESC's up with a hotwire or Castle Link?
No, I have not done a hotwire. Don't even know how as of this moment tbh.
When you say not programmed for reverse, what do you mean exactly? All I can tell you is that my crawler does forward and reverse perfectly well, but that I had to set the throttle and ch3/4 REV selections to REV instead of NOR. Is that normal? Seemed odd to me.

On a lighter note, I figured out the reason my rear wheels weren't spinning. I set up the bias on DT1 like in your video and had it set to 0 for some reason. Only took me 2 1/2 hours to figure that one out. duh.....

This machine is starting to work like it was meant to. A few more tweaks to the radio settings and I should be able to take this thing out to the quarry and have a go.

Thx again for all your help so far.

Last edited by Ol'Baditude; 05-12-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Ol'Baditude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #1102
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Baditude View Post
No, I have not done a hotwire. Don't even know how as of this moment tbh.
When you say not programmed for reverse, what do you mean exactly? All I can tell you is that my crawler does forward and reverse perfectly well, but that I had to set the throttle and ch3/4 REV selections to REV instead of NOR. Is that normal? Seemed odd to me.

On a lighter note, I figured out the reason my rear wheels weren't spinning. I set up the bias on DT1 like in your video and had it set to 0 for some reason. Only took me 2 1/2 hours to figure that one out. duh.....

This machine is starting to work like it was meant to. A few more tweaks to the radio settings and I should be able to take this thing out to the quarry and have a go.

Thx again for all your help so far.
Having the channels set to reverse is not a big deal. If you don't like it you can switch the wire polarity on your motors.

The other part was a confusion on what you had said previously. Being that you had it set to zero was the part that threw me.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:13 AM   #1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Having the channels set to reverse is not a big deal. If you don't like it you can switch the wire polarity on your motors.

The other part was a confusion on what you had said previously. Being that you had it set to zero was the part that threw me.
Yeah, It's not really a big deal. I can live with it.

Totally confused though. I have the front motor wired +/+ | -/- and the rear wired +/- | -/+ as in your 4PL Dual ESC wiring diagram. I'm still unsure why I had to set the throttle selection to REV, you know what I mean? I was more curious than anything really. Have any insight on that?
I didn't know you could switch wire polarity on motors, do you mean switch the leads and re-solder?

PS: Any idea on Turnaround for getting the software on this radio updated if I ever do want to send it in? I'm up in Canada, so shipping will be ~10days each way I'd imagine, unless EMS is used. Just wondering on the actual updating part. Thx.

Last edited by Ol'Baditude; 05-12-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Ol'Baditude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #1104
20K Club

Some ESC's see the futaba PWM signal as backwards, so forward is reverse and vice versa.

Turn around time is usually 2 days.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #1105
I wanna be Dave

Great Thread Harley and Jdawg,

I just won the TEDROCKS 4PL giveaway what a gtreat prize, thanks Steve.

I'd like to use this radio on my current AX-10 comp rig with dig, I don't have a MOA yet but I'm collecting parts.

I've been through the thread but I didn't see anything about setting up a shafty, did you already cover that and I missed it?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #1106
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Great Thread Harley and Jdawg,

I just won the TEDROCKS 4PL giveaway what a gtreat prize, thanks Steve.

I'd like to use this radio on my current AX-10 comp rig with dig, I don't have a MOA yet but I'm collecting parts.

I've been through the thread but I didn't see anything about setting up a shafty, did you already cover that and I missed it?
The first post has a link on how to program a 3 position switch. Then just set your EPA's. Not much else to setting up a shafty! Let me know if you need any help Stormin!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #1107
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Harley , after partially reading this thread I know where to go if I have issues, you've been very generous with your time and knowledge.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #1108
I wanna be Dave

Here's where I went today Harley, I linked my RX & TX, adjusted my steering wheel tension to just were I like it. then did the same with the throtel actually the best I've every had, adjusted the throttle band also a cool factor feature and the trigger location. I had a blast I'm very impressed.

But....when I did the three position switch exactly as discribed on P1, to my DT choice I don't get any servo movement?

Other than that I'm really pumped up about the 4PL.

Page one.

Go to the Dial/SW menu.
Select Trim.Dial
Select which DT switch you want to control your dig.

Set the values to the following:
DT(#):CH3 (or CH4)
:100
:NOR

I'm going to go outside now (it's gourgeous out today) and run a couple of battery packs on my Micro rig.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #1109
20K Club

Double check you have the servo plugged in the correct channel and check your EPA menu. Is the bar graph moving on the display? If is moving the radio is sending the signal.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #1110
I wanna be Dave

I've got the servo plugged into the third channel, check.

Without the radio on I have both steering and throttle EPA screen movement, but no third channel EPA movement on screen.

With the radio and crawler on, I have throttle but no steering or third channel. The steering no longer shows movement on the screen, and the third channel now shows movement by using the SW 2 switch but effects no servo movement, I programed DT#3 for third channel.

I decide to try a re-link of the TX and RX, and it's not re-linking with the TX within 12", so I move the TX with in a inch and it links, but nothing has changed in operation from above?

The current state is the radio screen shows movement for throttle and the third channel and nothing for steering. however only channel moving a servo is the RX #2 throttle.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #1111
I wanna be Dave

Anyone?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #1112
20K Club

Quote:
Anyone?
I can't tell what you have activated. Your setup should be extremely simple. I'd start a new model and just follow the steps again.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #1113
I wanna be Dave

I can do that, it seems to have a linking problem, it will not hold the steering servo link. In order to have all functions it needs to be linked every time it's turned on? Sounds like a RX problem to me.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #1114
Quarry Creeper

I have programmed the DT3 for control of my 3Racing winch... Heyok hooked me up with a winch controller and all is good. PM me if you need help programming a DT switch for conrol of winch.
Fowlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #1115
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlboy View Post
I have programmed the DT3 for control of my 3Racing winch... Heyok hooked me up with a winch controller and all is good. PM me if you need help programming a DT switch for conrol of winch.
It is a very simple process and covered in the first post.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #1116
20K Club

Quote:
I can do that, it seems to have a linking problem, it will not hold the steering servo link. In order to have all functions it needs to be linked every time it's turned on? Sounds like a RX problem to me.
Weird, never seen a linking problem. It could be a bad RX. Your other problems are something in your setup though. Make sure all the bar graphs are moving correctly before we make a call on that.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #1117
I wanna be Dave

Model changed .... new fresh start. M-2

Turned the rig on.

Had steering
Had throttle
Had DT3

Then the steering stopped working, power was defiantly on but no servo response.

I tried a re-link and nothing changed.

Checking on the graphs just now....

DT3 is working perfectly
Throttle shows forward only
No steering

It is a bit weird, with the fact that the throttle and DT3 worked perfectly, as did the steering for awhile with both car and radio opporational, but now the graph only shows forward on steering with a perfect DT3 in all 3 positions, and no steering.

I guess mom was right when she said you're no ordinary dummy, your a special dummy.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #1118
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Model changed .... new fresh start. M-2

Turned the rig on.

Had steering
Had throttle
Had DT3

Then the steering stopped working, power was defiantly on but no servo response.

I tried a re-link and nothing changed.

Checking on the graphs just now....

DT3 is working perfectly
Throttle shows forward only
No steering

It is a bit weird, with the fact that the throttle and DT3 worked perfectly, as did the steering for awhile with both car and radio opporational, but now the graph only shows forward on steering with a perfect DT3 in all 3 positions, and no steering.

I guess mom was right when she said you're no ordinary dummy, your a special dummy.
Throttle: Make sure your ATL is at 100 for full range.

Steering: Make sure your D/R is at 100 for full range.

Not sure if you had tried this or not - just thought I'd throw it out there...
Fowlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #1119
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlboy View Post
Throttle: Make sure your ATL is at 100 for full range.

Steering: Make sure your D/R is at 100 for full range.

Not sure if you had tried this or not - just thought I'd throw it out there...
Thanks FB, I appreciate the help. I'm covered on those, the problem with the steering has been a constant. Harley suggested a new model and that solved the DT3 3 position switch problem and the throttle has always worked but the steering in both M1 and M2 the steering has failed. It's looking more and more like this might be the transmitter, not the RX. I may just have to return it for a fresh one. This really isn't that hard, in fact it's pretty easy.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #1120
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks FB, I appreciate the help. I'm covered on those, the problem with the steering has been a constant. Harley suggested a new model and that solved the DT3 3 position switch problem and the throttle has always worked but the steering in both M1 and M2 the steering has failed. It's looking more and more like this might be the transmitter, not the RX. I may just have to return it for a fresh one. This really isn't that hard, in fact it's pretty easy.

If you need any help, drop me a pm.
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/277689-futaba-4pl-setup-tips-tricks-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
Futaba 4PL - Modelbouwforum.nl This thread Refback 11-08-2011 05:06 AM
Scaler Radio Help - Radios & Servos @ URC Forums This thread Refback 11-02-2011 02:46 PM
e-Modelismo - Maior Comunidade de Modelismo em Português - Ver Tópico - Futaba 4PL This thread Refback 10-27-2011 03:41 PM
Futaba 4PL 4-Channel 2.4GHz SFHSS Transmitter/Receiver - RemoteD - Fjärrstyrd Hobby This thread Refback 10-24-2011 03:51 AM
Futaba T4PL - Elektronik - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 10-11-2011 04:01 AM
4PL Dual ESC - YouTube This thread Refback 10-09-2011 08:27 AM
ZONACRAWLING • Ver Tema - emisora 4pl This thread Refback 10-05-2011 04:42 PM