Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #121
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
Correct, but if you knock the DT again you will end up with 120, which can be a mild pain.

Kieren
Yes the problem with just adjusting it with the rear mix percentage is that you can end up wasting a lot of time. Like you found, it is more simple to use the push button.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #122
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Got mine 3 minutes ago Opinions soon!

Kieren
This might be a stupid Q but are the prompts on the radio in English ? I think i might order one from R2 if they are in english.
aaugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #123
RCC Addict

Yes they are, so is the manual.

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #124
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaugman View Post
This might be a stupid Q but are the prompts on the radio in English ? I think i might order one from R2 if they are in english.
The language is selectable
Old 11-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #125
20K Club

I'm hearing good things guys

We don't have anything solid yet but from what I heard today I am very hopeful. I like what they have seen.

When we have the info we will post it. I don't know a date, I don't have anything else I can tell you so any questions you have I won't really anwser at this time. Just thought I would let you guys know that they have listened
Old 11-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #126
RCC Addict

Harley there is a servo style connection on the back of the radio somewhere, forget exactly were it is now though, and under it is has 'COM' any chance that a lead could be plug in there and run the radio update through that? I don't want to wait through 4 weeks of shipping alone to send it in, if an update happens.

Kieren
Old 11-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #127
20K Club

Quote:
Harley there is a servo style connection on the back of the radio somewhere, forget exactly were it is now though, and under it is has 'COM' any chance that a lead could be plug in there and run the radio update through that? I don't want to wait through 4 weeks of shipping alone to send it in, if an update happens.

Kieren
No, any possible updates will be done through Futaba only.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #128
Quarry Creeper

Harley,

I was going to send you a Pm, but it looks like you don't get them. Can you help me with this? Futaba 3PM-X steering issue
blue devil toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #129
Got Worms?

Quote:

Kieren
I bet you could but futaba wont say how or release the firmware out to the public.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #130
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I bet you could but futaba wont say how or release the firmware out to the public.
It requires software that a no radio manufacture is just going to release. It's not like any other major radio manufacture does this either.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #131
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
It requires software that a no radio manufacture is just going to release. It's not like any other major radio manufacture does this either.
Yea thats what i meant, futaba won't tell us how or give us the means of doing it. But that is what the port was meant for. Spectrum has ports as well for firmware upgrades and such. The biggest reason for this is so people can't screw up their radios and biggest reason is unlocking the options it can have. I am almost positive that the 4pl has the potential of the 4pk with upgraded firmware. I can take a cheap 80 dollar Chinese air radio and upgrade the firmware and make it as good as (and better than most) all the name brand radios. I am currently working on one of these trying to stuff it into a ground radio. I am not so good with digital stuff i just follow instructions, but i'm sure someone who is a electrical engineer can hack into this and get a hack firmware made up unlocking its full potential.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #132
20K Club

Actually that port has nothing to do with where the radio is updated. I know you are familiar the basics of how radios actually work, but I think you are far over stepping your knowledge range and making quite a few incorrect assumptions.

The COM port on Futaba radios are used in the MC LINK - ESC Link Function. You can use this to program compatible Futaba ESC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Yea thats what i meant, futaba won't tell us how or give us the means of doing it. But that is what the port was meant for. Spectrum has ports as well for firmware upgrades and such. The biggest reason for this is so people can't screw up their radios and biggest reason is unlocking the options it can have. I am almost positive that the 4pl has the potential of the 4pk with upgraded firmware. I can take a cheap 80 dollar Chinese air radio and upgrade the firmware and make it as good as (and better than most) all the name brand radios. I am currently working on one of these trying to stuff it into a ground radio. I am not so good with digital stuff i just follow instructions, but i'm sure someone who is a electrical engineer can hack into this and get a hack firmware made up unlocking its full potential.

Last edited by Harley; 11-12-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #133
RCC Addict

I noticed the COM port was for ESC programming when I was reading the manual the other day. Anychance while they are doing a firmware update, make it work with tekin, so I can adjust settings while crawling? Now that would be cool

Kieren
Old 11-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #134
20K Club

Quote:
I noticed the COM port was for ESC programming when I was reading the manual the other day. Anychance while they are doing a firmware update, make it work with tekin, so I can adjust settings while crawling? Now that would be cool

Kieren
Not a chance in hell.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #135
RCC Addict

So what's stopping the 4PL from being better then the 4pk? I guess I'm still looking to see the major differences.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #136
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Not a chance in hell.
I figured as such but we can all dream!

Kieren
Old 11-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #137
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by articzap View Post
So what's stopping the 4PL from being better then the 4pk? I guess I'm still looking to see the major differences.
There will be very few things the 4PL won't do, but here are some difference:
  • The digs are actuated different (with or without an update).
  • Response time on the FHSS system is slower than the FASST system.
  • 4PL only has one program mix (not including the 4WS or Dual ESC).
  • Wheel and buttons are non-adjustable and you can't use a drop down like the 4PK.
  • 4PL uses 4AA's as opposed to the 4PK requiring 5 cells.
  • RX cost is about half the cost for the 4PL.

There are more, and as I think of them I'll add to the list. Which I will copy to the first post.

Last edited by Harley; 11-13-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #138
20K Club

I have started to add important post links to the first post of this thread. You can refer anyone who has questions to the first post.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #139
Pebble Pounder

Default The standard noob question...

So I have to ask, and I hate to sound needy, but......

I've been in RC since '83, and have amassed an ARMY of radios to use in my 15 or so rigs. I just got the go-ahead from the Commander in Chief (my wife) to upgrade my radio(s). I've read, and read, and read. And I'm glad I waited this long, as this 4PL just might be what I've been looking for.

My question to you, Harley, is in your opinion, do you think this radio will be the best for all my rigs?? I have 6 scale rigs, some on road, 2 monster trucks, 1 comp rig, and some oldies but goodies. I don't run digs or dual esc's (yet) and I don't compete(yet). I primarily run 3speeds, winches, and lights at this point. I know this radio might be overkill for me, but I've ALWAYS had Futaba radios, and love them. The RC4WD 4ch crawler radio is enticing, but I know I'll miss the quality of Futaba.

I want to get down to one or two radios.. if possible, but know very little about these more complicated radios. Thank you for your time.
NeroWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #140
Quarry Creeper

whats the differences between 4pl and 3pm other then 3chl and 4 chl? I can run two esc's if need be with the 4pl
greenjeeper92 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/277689-futaba-4pl-setup-tips-tricks-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
Futaba 4PL - Modelbouwforum.nl This thread Refback 11-08-2011 05:06 AM
Scaler Radio Help - Radios & Servos @ URC Forums This thread Refback 11-02-2011 02:46 PM
e-Modelismo - Maior Comunidade de Modelismo em Português - Ver Tópico - Futaba 4PL This thread Refback 10-27-2011 03:41 PM
Futaba 4PL 4-Channel 2.4GHz SFHSS Transmitter/Receiver - RemoteD - Fjärrstyrd Hobby This thread Refback 10-24-2011 03:51 AM
Futaba T4PL - Elektronik - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 10-11-2011 04:01 AM
4PL Dual ESC - YouTube This thread Refback 10-09-2011 08:27 AM
ZONACRAWLING • Ver Tema - emisora 4pl This thread Refback 10-05-2011 04:42 PM