Notices

Thread: Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #1381
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Have you calibrated both ESC's yet? Yes you should be able to program in EXPO and have it effect both ESC's. I do not run any EXPO on mine though so I am trying to remember for sure.
Yes both ESC's calibrated. When first hooked up my motors ran backwards. Reversing on Throttle-1 page only fixed the front motor. I had to also reverse CH4. That's what lead me to believe I had to adjust expo on both channels separately. But I don't see a way to do that.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #1382
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
On the 4PK you can do it but even when the radio has the capabilities I do not suggest that you do it. You don't want to have to adjust both especially when on course. You are just asking to screw yourself up. It's NOT a good idea.
Thanks.
Seems KISS is true as always.
reden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #1383
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by reden View Post
Thanks.
Seems KISS is true as always.
Indeed
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #1384
Quarry Creeper

Some thinking about my aircraft radio switches while flying.

The 4PL SW2 could be positioned between DL1 and antenna (next to it) but in the form of three position toggle switch.
Easy to get to with index finger and if the correct switch is used, (3 position typical from JR) the clicks would be quite positve.
Unlike the feel of SW2 on the 4PL.
The feel of SW2 I think could be improved quite a lot as it's difficult to operate with either thumb and does not give a positive feel.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #1385
20K Club

Quote:
Some thinking about my aircraft radio switches while flying.

The 4PL SW2 could be positioned between DL1 and antenna (next to it) but in the form of three position toggle switch.
Easy to get to with index finger and if the correct switch is used, (3 position typical from JR) the clicks would be quite positve.
Unlike the feel of SW2 on the 4PL.
The feel of SW2 I think could be improved quite a lot as it's difficult to operate with either thumb and does not give a positive feel.
The SW2 is only meant to be used as a 2P switch which is many times needed. For a more positive feel many people add a small piece of material onto it. The tip of a standard body post works great.

The design of it is recessed so that it is not hit by accident. While not as ideal for us in some circumstances it does it's job. The more drive time you get the more you get used to it.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #1386
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The SW2 is only meant to be used as a 2P switch which is many times needed. For a more positive feel many people add a small piece of material onto it. The tip of a standard body post works great.

The design of it is recessed so that it is not hit by accident. While not as ideal for us in some circumstances it does it's job. The more drive time you get the more you get used to it.
Just some thoughts comming from a RC glider back ground.

While prorgamming 2ESC, I did the same with SW2 as what I could do with DT4. Front and rear dig.
With the body post mod to SW2 it would be possible to opperate SW2 with either thumbs.
SW2 just might find allure to some drivers if they could change it to short reach 3 pos toggle switch. Steering thumb would be wost usefull then for flicking the switch.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #1387
WAM
Rock Crawler

Just got my XR10/4PL/dual Crawlmasters/FXR's running this weekend. Followed Post#1 diagram.

Works but bottom end is not smooth and minimum speed is too fast. When I went to dial in negative expo, I set it at -50 on "thottle-2" page but it appears to only have affected the front motor. When I look over at CH4 menu, I don't see an expo option for the rear motor.

ESC's are calibrated, but I haven't been able to get Hotwire working yet, so can only set up button-pushes.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #1388
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post
Just got my XR10/4PL/dual Crawlmasters/FXR's running this weekend. Followed Post#1 diagram.

Works but bottom end is not smooth and minimum speed is too fast. When I went to dial in negative expo, I set it at -50 on "thottle-2" page but it appears to only have affected the front motor. When I look over at CH4 menu, I don't see an expo option for the rear motor.

ESC's are calibrated, but I haven't been able to get Hotwire working yet, so can only set up button-pushes.
You need to turn MXMD to active.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #1389
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Hallo Harley,
In the above picture you show the BEC(CC 10A BEC) going itno the RX.
Would this be ok if the Steering servo (Savox SA-1283SG) draws high current?
How would one have to wire the BEC to get it otherwise and how should I wire it if the servo is running at 8.5V (HD DS8325HV servo)?
I'm asking this due to the grounding of all the black wires into the RX and if the servo is running of the BEC.
Kind regards
Rudolf
Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #1390
20K Club

Quote:
Hallo Harley,
In the above picture you show the BEC(CC 10A BEC) going itno the RX.
Would this be ok if the Steering servo (Savox SA-1283SG) draws high current?
How would one have to wire the BEC to get it otherwise and how should I wire it if the servo is running at 8.5V (HD DS8325HV servo)?
I'm asking this due to the grounding of all the black wires into the RX and if the servo is running of the BEC.
Kind regards
Rudolf
8.5v is pretty high and I am not aware of the Savox specs. I don't have a diagram drawn for a bypassed BEC but there are several floating around in the electronics section.

Basically you need to send the red and black from the BEC To the servo , then send the yellow (or white) from the servo to the RX. You will need to leave the red wire from at least one ESC plugged into the RX.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #1391
Quarry Creeper

Both servos gives about 31kg.cm torque at 6V but the HD can go to 8.5V, thus the HV abreviation at the end.
I'm just curious on how the Futaba system will react to the servo not being grounded into the RX.
I just had loads of problems with this type of setup on another brands system and dont want to hurt the new Futaba.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #1392
20K Club

It's hard to say how it will react. Many servos act differently and it's not all based on the radio system.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #1393
Quarry Creeper

Thanks,
Will post results when I'm done with it.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #1394
Rock Stacker

Default Battery pack question

The cute strawberry blonde UPS lady visited me this morning with my new 4PL,
I've been seeing postings about using lipo battery packs which brings up
some questions

are they worth it and can someone recommend a few good ones

Thanks guys
nvradtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #1395
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvradtec View Post
The cute strawberry blonde UPS lady visited me this morning with my new 4PL,
I've been seeing postings about using lipo battery packs which brings up
some questions

are they worth it and can someone recommend a few good ones

Thanks guys
DO NOT USE LIPO. You can use LiFE packs though. It was talked about in this thread a bit. Search for 4PK LiFE pack when shopping.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #1396
20K Club

Oh and pics or you're a liar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvradtec View Post
The cute strawberry blonde UPS lady
Old 08-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #1397
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Oh and pics or you're a liar
As he said, no pics, it did not happen!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #1398
Rock Crawler

Default Multible Models

I need help with multible models. I have 3 trucks and noticed all 3 models have the same trim settings, steering, Throttle, 3rd Channel, like a Global settings for all models. In fact, I noticed if I turn on my radio and have it on the wrong model, I can drive the car. Do you know of a setting to change this so all models dont share setting nor the same channel. I have the same RX for all my trucks as the RX that came with the radio.

Thanks

Brad
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #1399
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
I need help with multible models. I have 3 trucks and noticed all 3 models have the same trim settings, steering, Throttle, 3rd Channel, like a Global settings for all models. In fact, I noticed if I turn on my radio and have it on the wrong model, I can drive the car. Do you know of a setting to change this so all models dont share setting nor the same channel. I have the same RX for all my trucks as the RX that came with the radio.

Thanks

Brad
If you make an adjustment on on model it shouldn't carry over to the next model. IF you copied a model over to create your next one then they would carry but just that one time. I am not aware of anything that would link the settings beyond that. Have you gone through that process?

Futaba RX's are bound to the RX not to an individual model. So no matter what model you have it set to the truck will still react to the radio.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #1400
Pebble Pounder

I have 5 or 6 different model`s assigned to my 4Pl, and I have no issues with the different models settings. Just a quick simple question, have you have got them assigned to different memory locations?
igbandy is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/277689-futaba-4pl-setup-tips-tricks-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
Futaba 4PL - Modelbouwforum.nl This thread Refback 11-08-2011 05:06 AM
Scaler Radio Help - Radios & Servos @ URC Forums This thread Refback 11-02-2011 02:46 PM
e-Modelismo - Maior Comunidade de Modelismo em Português - Ver Tópico - Futaba 4PL This thread Refback 10-27-2011 03:41 PM
Futaba 4PL 4-Channel 2.4GHz SFHSS Transmitter/Receiver - RemoteD - Fjärrstyrd Hobby This thread Refback 10-24-2011 03:51 AM
Futaba T4PL - Elektronik - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 10-11-2011 04:01 AM
4PL Dual ESC - YouTube This thread Refback 10-09-2011 08:27 AM
ZONACRAWLING • Ver Tema - emisora 4pl This thread Refback 10-05-2011 04:42 PM