RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/277689-futaba-4pl-setup-tips-tricks-help.html)

Harley 10-27-2010 02:22 PM

Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help

1 Attachment(s)
Finally, after so many months of development it finally arrived today.

I will be using this thread to help you all get the most out of the new addition from Futaba. I will be posting step by step instructions including video guides as well as wiring help to get your crawlers running with the new system.

Differences between the 4PL and 4PK
  • The digs are actuated different (with or without an update).
  • Response time on the FHSS system is slower than the FASST system.
  • 4PL only has one program mix (not including the 4WS or Dual ESC).
  • Wheel and buttons are non-adjustable and you can't use a drop down like the 4PK.
  • 4PL uses 4AA's as opposed to the 4PK requiring 5 cells.
  • RX cost is about half the cost for the 4PL.

Links to Important Posts:
Video Showing Basics of the 4PL
4PL Dual ESC Programming <--Updated 12/09/2010
How to program a 3 position switch
Super Class Crawler
Compatible RX's and Voltages
Picture comparison of RX's
Differences in compatible RX's
How to have your radio updated - For those who do not have the latest dual ESC programming
Range Comparison test by Killer RC

http://www.harleydesigns.com/images/...%20(Large).jpg

73bronco 10-27-2010 04:17 PM

Awesome! My XR just showed up today....When will this be shipping?!?!?

run2jeepn 10-27-2010 04:26 PM

Can we get a list of RX that work with the 4PL?

SMR 510RR 10-27-2010 04:43 PM

Full list of features?

Krakker 10-27-2010 04:45 PM

I like that my 3PK's can work with a spectrum module. It would be great if these would too.
Look forward to the write up on this one Josh, I"ve been wanting a new system that'll run the crawlers AND the summit with some more control.

sim 10-27-2010 06:12 PM

The 4PL doesn't use modules.

Harley 10-27-2010 06:36 PM

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...a/fce5dafd.jpg

Rootar 10-27-2010 08:15 PM

if they would make a 4pk or 4pl that took a module i think alot of guys who have say 10+ specktrum rxs like me in all their cars would snatch up a new TX in a heartbeat .

but i gotta say that 4pl looks good!

KBrog 10-27-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 2709413)

Show Off :lmao:

strawb 10-27-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rootar (Post 2709615)
if they would make a 4pk or 4pl that took a module i think alot of guys who have say 10+ specktrum rxs like me in all their cars would snatch up a new TX in a heartbeat .

same reason why im still keeping my 3pk .... maybe someday :ror:

Harley 10-27-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rootar (Post 2709615)

I have never had problems with losing bind on a Futaba RX and had it happen countless times with the spektrum stuff. I know lots of drivers that switched for that reason alone. There is never a single thing I miss about running Spektrum ;-)

Harley 10-27-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBrog (Post 2709619)
Show Off :lmao:

How about this one :mrgreen:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...a/5b08cc38.jpg

dragrcr 10-28-2010 12:22 AM

Yes! When will they hit the shelves, my money is literally leaping out of my wallet in anticipation...

boosted4lyf 10-28-2010 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 2709968)

Lucky bastard:flipoff:
Those ssz-9's look sick Harley seriously wanting this tx

DeweyCJ5 10-28-2010 02:34 AM

guess its time for my boy to get my old radio "thumbsup"

jdawg53 10-28-2010 08:42 AM

The receiver that comes with the 4PL is a "high voltage" receiver. It will safely handle up to 8.5V.
J

Aussie Nerd 10-28-2010 04:45 PM

Just a few question, if you answer yes to all 3 of these futaba will be getting my business.

1. Please, please futaba fix the dig switch bug"thumbsup"

2. Harley, can you adjust the mix percentage for dual ESC with out going into the menu, like on a rocker switch or dial or something?

3. Can you have dual ESC AND rear steer mixes activated at the same time (super?)?

Thanks"thumbsup"

Kieren

Harley 10-28-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd (Post 2711103)
Just a few question, if you answer yes to all 3 of these futaba will be getting my business.

1. Please, please futaba fix the dig switch bug"thumbsup"

2. Harley, can you adjust the mix percentage for dual ESC with out going into the menu, like on a rocker switch or dial or something?

3. Can you have dual ESC AND rear steer mixes activated at the same time (super?)?

Thanks"thumbsup"

Kieren

#1 - I hope so too.

#2 - Yes you can assign any DT button to adjust the percentage. You can even set the amount you want it to adjust per click, any where from 2%-20% (or more but any more adjustment at a time then that is way too much).

#3 - You can't use the Futaba 4WS mixing but most people that run a super want independant control of the rear which this is still capable of doing (exactly like a 4PK).

Aussie Nerd 10-28-2010 04:56 PM

1. Awesome

2. Even more Awesome

3. Sounds good, just how do you control it though, is it on a rocker switch somewhere? And can you set it in steps?

Thanks"thumbsup"

Kieren

EvilTwin v2 10-28-2010 04:59 PM

Yeah, I've been competing in Super for 3 years now, and early on, when I thought I needed steering mix, all it ever did was screw me on the course. Rear steer mix is totally unnecessary.

My question. Does it use seperate dig switches like the 4pk or is it a single switch? I thought I saw something about a single button that toggles through. I'm curious how effective that would be. I can see that it would be simple, but not sure if it would get confusing or be really really easy to use.

articzap 10-28-2010 05:27 PM

I was thinking about a 4PK, but I think a 4PL might be the better choice for me. What are the major differences that one should consider between the PL and PK?

ax-10 crazy 10-28-2010 05:38 PM

At this link they say it will come with a servo and esc. Will it?

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-rad...r-p-32532.html

Harley 10-28-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd (Post 2711120)
3. Sounds good, just how do you control it though, is it on a rocker switch somewhere? And can you set it in steps?

Thanks"thumbsup"

Kieren

Yes, you get to define how large or small the steps too. Very adjustable. Program it to any rocker switch on the radio you like "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 (Post 2711130)
My question. Does it use seperate dig switches like the 4pk or is it a single switch? I thought I saw something about a single button that toggles through. I'm curious how effective that would be. I can see that it would be simple, but not sure if it would get confusing or be really really easy to use.

A single button toggles through the dig types. This is the one thing on the radio that makes it not 100% perfect. It makes it simple for beginners but not quite as effective as the 4PK when on course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ax-10 crazy (Post 2711194)
At this link they say it will come with a servo and esc. Will it?

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-rad...r-p-32532.html

I don't know for sure but I would HIGHLY doubt it comes with an ESC and am skeptical about a servo. Jason can answer this better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by articzap (Post 2711177)
I was thinking about a 4PK, but I think a 4PL might be the better choice for me. What are the major differences that one should consider between the PL and PK?

I will try and do a comparison video soon. It is hard to hit all the points. I need a chart or graphic of some sort that hits only the key points.

articzap 10-28-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 2711200)
I will try and do a comparison video soon. It is hard to hit all the points. I need a chart or graphic of some sort that hits only the key points.

I am wholeheartedly looking forward to this. "thumbsup"

ax-10 crazy 10-28-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 2711200)

I don't know for sure but I would HIGHLY doubt it comes with an ESC and am skeptical about a servo. Jason can answer this better.

I just was looking at a different site and it said the same thing.:?:

Aussie Nerd 10-28-2010 06:55 PM

Thanks Harley"thumbsup" Are these actaully shipping as RCmart has them in stock? I don't want to buy it only to find it's on pre/back order.

Thanks for all your help"thumbsup"
Kieren

jdawg53 10-28-2010 07:48 PM

The transmitters should arrive in about 2 weeks.
They have already shipped from Futaba. We are still working with Futaba to get the programming update for the dig switch like Harley previously described. My best guess is that they didn't fully understand (possibly due to translation) what we were asking/telling them when we set the initial requirements for the radio.
From time to time Futaba will offer a "combo" with an esc and servo. Typically, those combos do not sell as well as just the tx/rx. To my best knowledge, we are only getting tx/rx systems.
J

Aussie Nerd 10-29-2010 10:49 PM

Has anyone got a link to a manual? English would be preferable but I'm happy to make do looking at the pictures:ror: Or Harley if it's no trouble could you please point out all the 'assignable' switches/rockers/dials that sort of thing.

Thanks and sorry for all the Qs"thumbsup"
Kieren

Aussie Nerd 10-29-2010 11:01 PM

Retract that statement I'll look for myself when mine arrives:twisted: I got mine on ebay from dinball, which is the ebay store for rcmart. It better be good cause it's replacing my custom radio.

Kieren

losikid 10-29-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd (Post 2713592)
Retract that statement I'll look for myself when mine arrives:twisted: I got mine on ebay from dinball, which is the ebay store for rcmart. It better be good cause it's replacing my custom radio.

Kieren

Are you not liking the dx6i conversion, or is just giving you too many problems

Harley 10-30-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd (Post 2713570)
Has anyone got a link to a manual? English would be preferable but I'm happy to make do looking at the pictures:ror: Or Harley if it's no trouble could you please point out all the 'assignable' switches/rockers/dials that sort of thing.

Thanks and sorry for all the Qs"thumbsup"
Kieren

I will post up setup videos. Just let me know what you are running.

Aussie Nerd 10-30-2010 04:07 AM

For the moment I will be using it with a super so dual ESC and dual servo.

Thanks"thumbsup"
Kieren

dragrcr 10-30-2010 09:05 AM

What are you thinking the chances of a fix for the dig are?

articzap 10-30-2010 09:08 AM

I hope its something like, one press for front, one press to release, and then two presses for rear, one press to release. That's what we can hope for. Cycling through each dig cycle would kill the ability to crawl climbs without being able to go from front to all 4.

dragrcr 10-30-2010 09:27 AM

Nope, watch the video, push once and your in rear, push it again and your in front, push it again and your in all in.

articzap 10-30-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragrcr (Post 2714064)
Nope, watch the video, push once and your in rear, push it again and your in front, push it again and your in all in.

Then this radio might be a fail.:shock:

dragrcr 10-30-2010 09:45 AM

I agree, but have high hopes futaba will step up and fix it, I've been a spektrum guy since I fly planes and helis, and thought I'd never switch, this radio was gonna be the thing that pushed me over. But without talk of a fix this radio will do me no good:cry:

run2jeepn 10-30-2010 04:41 PM

Where this Video at?

dragrcr 10-30-2010 08:14 PM

In harleys xr10 build thread iirc

run2jeepn 10-30-2010 11:17 PM

This Hiccup with the Dig set up is a big deal.

Kinda of Kills the point of Dual ESC's...

How would it work on a Super with Two Servo's, PunkDig and just one ESC? I'm guessing it would be just fine Correct?

Josh you need to really push this issue. Is there anyone we need to send an E-mail to? To help get the ball rolling on this.

I've sold off all my old stuff and started collecting for a Dual ESC set up. I'm just needing a radio. To Spend $200 for the PL or $450 for a 4PKS is a big deal. Thats a lot of Money.