Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Truck went swimming, now I need some help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Truck went swimming, now I need some help!

Hey everyone. I have an Exceed mad crawler with all stock electronics. Well today it rolled over backwards down a rock and landed upside down, fully smurged in a nice icy cold puddle. Crap. I snatched it out almost imediatley, but it still got wet. I ran the truck for about another 20 min with no problems, then I was on a different obstacle and bumped chasis skid plate, not hard, but still bumped it and the truck stops. No foward, no reverse, no steering. Went home and stripped the electronics off the truck and put them in a bag of rice. (hey, its worked for my ipod touch before)

So this is what its doing now. When I plu it in, the light on the ESC will blink like its not getting signal from the rx. The esc is also getting REALLY hot without the truck even moving. The 645mg servo and the motors seem to be ok.

I have no idea what im looking for in electronics. Id like to keep things simple so an ESC with a built in break is a good thing. And this crawler is a MOA , and my ESC has 2 places for the motors to plug into. But the ones I was looking at only have one spot for the motor to plug in, Do I just run them in series? Parralel? I dont have a huge budget, so the cheaper the better. (If you have something used you want to get rid of, pm me!) I dont comp, its a "just for fun truck" Using 7.2 NiMh stick packs.

Sorry for my long post. Im ready to learn, about to dive into the serch bar.

-Hyde
Hyde802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Nothing? Been in a bag of rice all weekend. Hooked everything back up. the truck would go forward but nothing else. Thinking about trying to get a new RX first. Any recommendations? and how do I know it will work with my Tx?

Thanks,
Hyde
Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
RCC Addict

ya im sure your going to need a new receiver n esc if they got wet.i dont know much bout moa
chicostaxxs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

any Rx will work just be sure it matches the TX. Start there as it is the cheapest fix. If you still have probs replace the esc. Get something worthwhile like a sidewinder or fxr for your app so you can then run a 3 cell lipo and the esc can be programed for better crawling setups. If you take these steps and find after the new esc is put in you are good, check the old reciever w/ the new esc to see if it was indeed bad also. If, not you have a spare RX for your troubles.
Frank Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Dessicant works incredibly well on wet electronics as long as you don't turn them on after getting them wet. Just stick them in a bag of dessicant for a few days and it will suck all the moisture out.
sinekal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Put it all back together last night and it will go forward, but nothing else. Forgot to test steering, Ill do that tonight. The ESC also sparked internally a few times....

I think Im going to start with the ESC, I think the RX is ok. whats a ok ESC with brake that can run dual motors??

Or what are any "cost efficient" ways to get this up and running again.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I bet you, your ESC has crapped out, you'll probably need a new one
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

yeah, if you get forwards but not reverse I bet one side of the H bridge got fried. You needs a new ESC.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Ok, so what should I get for an ESC? I need something that will run the dual motors. Links would be good.

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 12-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Ok. finally going to fix this. Going with the RC4wd Outcry dual motor.

http://www.tgndistributing.com/outcr...n-and-bec.html

Also want to get a new rx that will work with this setup. any recommendations?

Tags
esc, exceed, mad crawler, moa