Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: wheel speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 07:04 AM   #1

Default wheel speed

hello,
i do not have the resolution i want at low throttle. i'm looking for very low wheel speed at initial trigger pull. as it is, the minimum RPM i can get out of the motors generates too much wheel speed. it's not very controlled or fun.

currently it has berg axles, blitz 40t motors with 12t pinions front and rear. the esc is a m2 dig and i'm using 3 cell lipos.

i see that a lot of you use 40t or even 35t motors with great success. can you still get low RPMs? i assumed that less turns means less torque but does it also mean higher minimum RPM?

i've fussed with ESC and transmitter settings to no avail.

i appreciate any feedback. i'm a noob trying to ramp up as fast as possible.

thanks much!
lunarbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

What radio? If it has an exponential (EXPO), then turn that down some. You want your throttle curve to look similar to this (although, probably not as exaggerated):
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
What radio? If it has an exponential (EXPO), then turn that down some. You want your throttle curve to look similar to this (although, probably not as exaggerated):

X2

The M2 is very twitchy out of the box. I've set my expo on my DX3R to 40%, it has mellowed out the low-end throttle control and made it very predictable and controllable.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #4

thanks for the responses.
i'm using a 4pks. i'll continue fiddling with exponential. it does change the curve but it does not change minimum RPMs.

even if i leave the trigger in neutral and trim forward until the motors juuuust start to turn the wheels are already too fast.

i'm looking for wheel speed like this guy has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ3VH2B-DRs

am i expecting too much from these motors? do i need more turns? smaller pinions?

i have an scx-10 with a novak 55t/rooster combo and i love the slow wheel speed.

thanks again folks
Old 11-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

What ESCs are you running? I cant find your original thread....

If the Expo function on the radio isnt doing it for you, maybe set it back to linear and fiddle with the Expo on the ESCs (if that is an option). Just make sure to set ALL of them the same (both forward and reverse on both ESCs should get the same graph).
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

currently it has berg axles, blitz 40t motors with 12t pinions front and rear. the esc is a m2 dig and i'm using 3 cell lipos.

^^^^^ heres his setup. hes running the novak m2 esc ^^^^^
CrawlHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I am not familiar with your ESC, but maybe it needs re-calibrated and then set the expo. I run twin FXR's and I have the expo on them and on my 4pk because of my super twitchy finger.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #8

Default Twitch?

If you have a radio with expo dial out some punch. I also run Dx3r at 40%.
rcdruged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

It may just be how that esc works. When we were messing with it a couple weeks back at the comp I didnt notice that it was abnormally fast. When are you experiencing the "fast startup"? Obviously on steep climbs or any other time that the motors are under a higher load they will start up slower than on flat ground or downhill situations.

Maybe when the actual M2 software comes out there may be more options for tuning. You have the radio to run dual esc's so you could go for that option if it is really that bad (I know, this is the expensive option).

Another thing to check would be motor timing. Make sure they are 0 timing or above for the correct direction of rotation for forward. Easy way to test if this is the problem is to see if you have similar issues in reverse. If it is similar I would say it is the ESC or radio programing, if it is better in reverse I would check your timing.

Last edited by SMR 510RR; 12-01-2010 at 11:01 PM.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #10

reversing the throttle servo on the transmitter resolved this