Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: this might be a stupid question.. adding a channel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default this might be a stupid question.. adding a channel

is it possible (and not insanely expensive) to modift a 2 channel traxxas 2.4ghz transmitter by adding a 3rd channel switch and what ever else is needed to run a dig? or is this impossible and i need to just buy a 3 or 4 channel radio?
m0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2010, 02:16 AM   #2

i just converted my 2ch to a three channel cost me £6.67 but i went to the shop to get the stuff its simple to do.i changed mine so i could use the hi/low gears on the e~maxx 3.6.0.9. you`d have to check if your radio is programmed to use the channels as some are programmed for the channels you want to use channels 4 and 5 are a bit more difficult to do
trax de max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
i just converted my 2ch to a three channel cost me £6.67 but i went to the shop to get the stuff its simple to do.i changed mine so i could use the hi/low gears on the e~maxx 3.6.0.9. you`d have to check if your radio is programmed to use the channels as some are programmed for the channels you want to use channels 4 and 5 are a bit more difficult to do
The normal answer to this question is no.

Please make a build thread showing us how to add a channel.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

yes please.

part of me wants to assume that the way traxxas mass produces things that the internal guts of the transmitter is identical to the 4 channel version, just the outer casing and extra switches aren't there. from a manufacturers standpoint it would be cheaper than having two different chip sets and cases.

I'd really like to see how you added the extra channel though.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #5

first check to see how many channels you have by going into menu tree starting of with flashing green once press menu two green blinks press set one green blink= channel 1. press menu two green = blinks channel 2.press menu three green blinks = channel 3.press menu 4 green blinks=4ch. press menu 5 green blinks=5ch some people only got two blinks then reset everything and got more some only stayed on two i got 5 but channels 4+5 are linked together so you cant work one without the other.your right they are mass produced like that its only software whats stopping it using the channels so at the minute you can only add to what channels your radios potentially set up for. here is finished vid of the mod working the gears.search you tube for 103 0460i dont know how to put vids on here

Last edited by trax de max; 12-21-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have 2 recent RTR traxxas products that came with TQ2 Link transmitters. At first, I did the blink test described above and found that they were limited to 2 channels of operation. Then I linked them to a different 2218 receiver that I have and each one came to life with all the channels available. Maybe clearing out the model memory would do the same with the original receiver?

Other than that, it is correct that the functionality is there if you wire some switches into the PCB in the base. It is all the same as the TQ4 (at least it was in an early TQ2 that I have).
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #7

my next thing is to get some led`s working somehow
Old 12-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Also, once you have CH3 working, I have an adapter available (between the receiver and servo) which can add adjustable center point and EPAs. Then, if you get the combined CH4/5 working, I have another adapter which can provide the same end result. So if it all works out right, you do have the capability of adding 2 adjustable 3-position switch/toggle channels to your TQ2 Link radio.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

could you tell me which spots to solder the new wires to?

I really only need one extra channel to operate a dig.

but if it isn't too much more difficult, I wouldn't mind the 4th channel for a winch. but I might just get a wireless.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:26 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nster View Post
could you tell me which spots to solder the new wires to?
In the picture posted above by another member, the yellow and green wires running all the way down to the circuit board in the base are new. They go to the outer pins on the 3-position switch. The center pin of the 3-position switch finds its way to ground on the intermediate circuit board.

If you were able to get the lights to blink enough times to indicate that you have control over 3 channels, this should be all the wiring you need to bring CH3 to life with 3 fixed non-adjustable positions. If you are talking about a Punk style dig, this should work fine for you.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 AM   #11

i was going to use the ground on the board but decided on the small board behind trigger as this was easier to solder onto. The ground is the yellow wire tagged with the green/yellow tape on the tape is just there as a marker. the switch used is an on-on switch where both positions are on for hi gear is one side and the other on side is low gear.there is no off position i was gonna buy the on-off-on switch but realised it didn`t need the off position

Last edited by trax de max; 12-22-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

can this be done to the non 2.4 tq2?
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #13

which model you looking to adapt
Old 12-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

the non 2.4 TQ2 Just the am version
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #15

i couldn`t find a mod for the tq2 but i`ll keep looking
Old 12-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Would you be so kind as to draw me a diagram of where to solder the wires to? a pencil or windows paint sketch would be fine, I just cant quite see in that photo the flash sort of blew it out so its too bright to tell. but my transmitter did indicate 6 blinks, i.e. 6 available channels?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #17

six blinks i thought it could only go to five.
on board it has rsw up dwn one wire goes to up one wire goes to dwn 4th and 3rd from end i think the end one is tsw up dwn the gnd wire i put on small board at top joining black wire on the bottom. I would check your channels again as i dont think it should have six green flashes. my switch is set up for full left turn and full right turn on servo to change the high low gear.happy modding
Old 12-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #18

remember i used an on-on type switch
Old 12-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #19

did you recheck your radio
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

reviving this thread. i hate to sound like a photo snob but could someone post a more focused picture or draw me a diagram of what to solder where?

I want to get this done, and I want to do it right so I need to be able to see what exactly I am supposed to do.