Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Which esc/motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Which esc/motor

I have the stock motor and VXL-3 ESC in my scx10 rtr, and would like to upgrade because the motor isnt very strong, and the ESC doesnt have a very good drag brake. I hear alot of good things about the CC Mamba Max Pro, and the Novak Rooster Crawler systems. My truck isnt a comper, I run it in the water occasionally, so I need an ESC that is somewhat good in water. I had a CC Mamba Moster system in my Slash 4x4 and it killed any competition, what is a good, strong motor that would work well with the CC Mamba Max/MM Pro.
And what is the difference between a Mamba Max "pro" and just the Mamba Max?
flascx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

just get a new motor.. VXL is the only ESC that is submerge-able.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flascx10 View Post
I have the stock motor and VXL-3 ESC in my scx10 rtr, and would like to upgrade because the motor isnt very strong, and the ESC doesnt have a very good drag brake. I hear alot of good things about the CC Mamba Max Pro, and the Novak Rooster Crawler systems. My truck isnt a comper, I run it in the water occasionally, so I need an ESC that is somewhat good in water. I had a CC Mamba Moster system in my Slash 4x4 and it killed any competition, what is a good, strong motor that would work well with the CC Mamba Max/MM Pro.
And what is the difference between a Mamba Max "pro" and just the Mamba Max?

MMP can use sensor and senserless, can hand more volts, has a fan, more adjustabilty and I think it is cheaper because its newer
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

if you plan on ever runnin in any water i would suggest the xl-5 and a cheaper 35t motor like this one http://store.rc4wd.com/540-Crawler-B...35T_p_821.html , i personally have 3 of these motors and im still on the first one and it has seen this kinda mud its whole life goin on 5 months now
honcho1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by honcho1.9 View Post
if you plan on ever runnin in any water i would suggest the xl-5 and a cheaper 35t motor like this one http://store.rc4wd.com/540-Crawler-B...35T_p_821.html , i personally have 3 of these motors and im still on the first one and it has seen this kinda mud its whole life goin on 5 months now
Do you have the motor covered in any way (in other words "waterproofed")? The reason I ask is because I have a Trinity CO27 motor on my SCX-10 and everytime I go into any type of water the motor starts glitching on me. I asked around and was told that this is a comon issue with the Trinity motors. When the capacitors get wet, they dont send the current very well, and causes that glitching. So to resolve that I encased the motor in a snack size ziplock bag. It works perfectly and does not overheat or anything, but I would like a motor that I dont not have to worry about it getting wet.
shcuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
RCC Addict

In pretty sure the trinity motors have issues. My Titan 550 motor was ran in deep mud no problem.. It could just be the brushes you use..
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Remove the onboard trinity caps and you should not have any glitching issues.....they certainly do not like to get wet. Unless you are glitching in the first place, they are not really needed with newer radios, recievers and escs....at worst, you can solder on some normal motor caps if you need them and they are plenty water proof.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If you are just bashing most of the time and want to run into water and mud with no worries and no modding, then I would suggest the XL-5 esc and a cheaper motor.

You can also get Holmes' BR-XL waterproofed version (if he starts selling the waterproof version again).

If you want to do a little modding (ie creating a waterproof box), I think an FXR is great, expecially since it has such a small footprint.

As far as brushed motors go, they are all 'waterproof' but if you continually run in water/mud, they will require much more maintenance and will not last as long.
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Remove the onboard trinity caps and you should not have any glitching issues.....they certainly do not like to get wet. Unless you are glitching in the first place, they are not really needed with newer radios, recievers and escs....at worst, you can solder on some normal motor caps if you need them and they are plenty water proof.

Later EddieO
Thanks Eddie. Any further details you can provide around removing the caps would be great. But don't want to derail this thread. If you have additional details please pm me or I can get another thread going.
shcuck is offline   Reply With Quote