Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mod 2 wire 3rd channel to 3 pos. is it possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Mod 2 wire 3rd channel to 3 pos. is it possible?

Ace cougar ps3 2.4ghz/ 2 wire momentary 3rd channel. Can it be modded to 3pos. switch for winch operation? I didn't if you could add a wire to the servo rev. switch to spool out/in, or if there are 3 spots on the circuit where you can add the extra wire? Also this radio doesn't have a trim for third channel. Might just scrap this project and use radio on something else.
dusty husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Really?

Anyone mod this radio to 3pos. 3rd channel

Looks like a junk radio to me...
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i have the ps3i version of that radio, it has a screen is the only difference, i use my third cannel to operate my winch, the only thing i have to do is reverse from normal operation, the ps3i is worth the money, i love mine, if you have any more questions you can pm me
honcho1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Really?

Anyone mod this radio to 3pos. 3rd channel

Looks like a junk radio to me...
Yes, I have a legit question, if you don't have an answer then don't respond. Maybe you should spend your time on your f-ckin super moto riding around town picking up guys, Flamer. You didn't actually buy a husky to ride on the street, did you?
Old 12-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

im uploading a video to show you how you can use your 2 position 3rd channel for a winnch
honcho1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty husky View Post
Yes, I have a legit question, if you don't have an answer then don't respond. Maybe you should spend your time on your f-ckin super moto riding around town picking up guys, Flamer. You didn't actually buy a husky to ride on the street, did you?
Im the a-hole now somehow huh? Your the guy starting two threads with the same question in one day...I did offer my suggestion of buying a radio that is priced similarly with better support and the features that you require, you didnt like my suggestion obviously so you started a new thread asking the same damn question...But I guess that I am still the bad guy.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Im the a-hole now somehow huh? Your the guy starting two threads with the same question in one day...I did offer my suggestion of buying a radio that is priced similarly with better support and the features that you require, you didnt like my suggestion obviously so you started a new thread asking the same damn question...But I guess that I am still the bad guy.
I bought the radio for 30 bucks, and trying mod it on the cheap. If you don't have the smarts, don't answer. I don't know the answer that's why I asked. Still wondering why u bought a husky for the street, Steve Mcqueen is rolling in his grave.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If you want to get into modifying the 3rd channel then it may be possible to make it a 3 position...It all depends on how the board in the radio is setup. You may be able to put a pot in rather than the switch to have proportional control of the channel, that would let you have control over the speed of the winch. You would have to use one of the grounds on the board as the 3rd connection to dump the extra voltage. You could do something similar with a 3 position switch with a trim pot to vary the voltage in the centered position then one end would be no voltage and the other end would be straight through. Most radios (to my knowledge) use 0V-6V so lets say 0V would be one end and 3V(adjusted with the trim pot) would be the middle and then 6V would be the other end. You could also put 3 trim pots in if you wanted to control the end points on all three positions...Again I cant be certain that this would work with your particular radio but it may be worth a shot. Maybe one of the electrical gurus will see this and verify that it would work, on a $30 radio if you really want to do it and are willing to spend some time testing it out and $10-15 on some switches and pots you could have a cool custom radio.

You may be able to find some similar ideas in some of the other threads on adding end points to different radios or converting to 3 position...Most of the concepts should work on any radio.

And just to satisfy you I bought a Husky to ride on the street because it is fun as hell on the roads we have here...

Hope that helps.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Not to interrupt..... read the tq3 radio thread, and that should give you an idea of what is possible. As far as applying it to your exact radio, pop it open and see what looks similar.
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote