Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: another noob with an scx10 and questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #1

Default another noob with an scx10 and questions

im sorry in advance for any and all spelling errors. im 27 and cant spell to save my life i know it, you need to deal with it . mods if i put this in the wrong area please move to the right one, i put it here since everything i'm asking about is electronic. sorry and thank you.

ok so ive been looking at the scx10 for some time now and just pulled the trigger and ordered one this afternoon from my lhs. now i know me and my inability to leave anything alone or stock sooo i ordered the kit version http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax90014.htm
were i need to pick up all of my own electronics so that way i get what i want and the performance i want. oh did i mention this is my first RC... yeah jumping in full force with both feet .

so the first thing im looking to get is my radio. my guy at the lhs like to use towerH for everything so he pointed me in the direction of the Tactic TTx501
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVZY9&P=ML
he suggested this due to the amount of channels and price point witch is inportant to me.
now ive been looking on rpp and not just for a day and i fund the spektrum DX5e i dont understand the diff between the MD1 and MD2 (someone please explain if its a big deal)
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/spm5500.htm
my question is what one is going to be my better bet? im guessing the DX5e is but i just figured id ask.

next decision i have to make is do i go brushless or not??? im looking to wheel this thing like my 1:1 wrangler so mud, rocks, and trail are all in its future. so the ability to waterproof easly is necessary. i have no thought on what motor, what # turn, or esc. help is very aprecieated.
ok just found out rpp is running a sale on the novak goat brushless 18.5 combo. ive heard good things about novaks products and i saw in another thread that other people are running them with good results plus there compatible with lipos and it brushless so it should be smoother and hold better. any thoughts???

next is my steering servo im thinking traxxas's waterproof unit. im prob going to be running both 1.9's and 2.2's (no not at the same time) will this servo be enuff to turn them both?? do i have a better option?

ok decided to go LiPo since im starting fresh, longer run time and all the other bennifets. now ive read up on them but im still unclear on exactly what i need to run them other then a LiPo batt and LiPo charger. now i know if i have the right esc it will have a built in sensor so i dont completely drain the batt. is that all i need to run them???
ok found a good sale at hobby people on lipos but am still confused a little (numbers, ratings, 11.1v, 800-2500mAh??? HELP!!!) figure ill just talk to my lhs guy about this but as always any help is greatly apreiciated.

thank you all in advance, any other tips or suggestions will be very much apreiciated. - curley

Last edited by curleysrc; 01-03-2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: adding more info
curleysrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Ur right, this probly should have gone to the scx10 section but im sure someone will move it.

I run an scx10 with all the electronics from my slash 4x4 on 2.2's (tx/rx, vxl-3s, velineon, and steering servo). I love this setup bc the esc, motor, and steering servo are already waterproof. The only draw back with the tx is that it only has 2 channels, but thats all i need so it doesnt matter. I mostly run in mud and soft dirt so i dont need a real strong servo and the 2075 does fine for me. If you spend alot of time on the rocks i would suggest a stronger servo but if ur a basher or a mudder then go for it. As for as sources for parts, check the vendor section (I'm constantly finding gadgets i never knew i needed) and ebay. Tower is great when you need it fast but they get expensive quick.

Prices last time i looked on ebay:
vxl-3s and velineon brushless motor-$120
traxxas 2.4g tx/rx 2channel-$40
4channel-$70
traxxas 2075 servo-$20
TNBiscuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:50 PM   #3

the only prob i see with that is acording to my lhs guy i need more channles then that for everything im going to have. we figure im going to need 4 but im looking at 5's so just incase i decide to change or add something its there.

i dont plan on to many rock adventures but i figure if i over build it i wont have a problem when i go on them. in my mind there is no such thing as overkill so if its worth building its worth over building. example im putting my 1:1 wrangler on 1ton axles just so they'll never break.

ive looked over the vendors and wholy cr@p! i never knew some of this stuff existed im gonna be even broker (yes its a real word i just used it, its real) then i already am. and just like you i never would have thought of some of this stuff and that i would need/ want it. and yeah i too have found tower to be a little pricey and somewhat limited at times. im deff liking rpp better. but my dude at the lhs is willing to work with me on price and help along the way so unless rpp is running a killer deal he cant match im going to him. you know help out the local economy, he's a stand alone not making millions just a living. i figure his help is worth the little extra cash.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Know what JEEP stands for? Just Empty Every Pocket! but if you've got the money for 1tons under a wrangler then you've got the cash for the good stuff in a 1:10. man i miss my jeep, sold my tj when i started driving 4000 miles a month while dating my wife :(
TNBiscuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBiscuit83 View Post
Know what JEEP stands for?
Just Empty Every Pocket!
SOOOO true!

but if you've got the money for 1tons under a wrangler then you've got the cash for the good stuff in a 1:10.
i dont realy have the cash i just abuse craigslist and pirate like they owe me money and find the best deals i can. i mean i bought all my rear 4link brackets and joints for $150 off of pirate

man i miss my jeep, sold my tj when i started driving 4000 miles a month while dating my wife :(
ouch! thats one hell of a comute. but considering shes your wife now i guess it was worth it.
hea check jeepforum theres always a tj or 10 for sale and if you need bigger im sure theres a 4dr jk or a grand cherokee on there as well