Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba Micro Pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Mamba Micro Pro

Anybody having problems with these? I ordered 2 for my berg, wired them all up and one would not program. Packed it up and sent it to castle, they shipped me a new one. Wired up the new one, It will program but the ringing from the motor is very faint and the motor just twitches. Checked the motors and drive train, the rear ESC will drive either motor on either axle. De-Soldered all connections and re did them. Same issue. Wired the suspected bad one by itself to the battery, same issue. Finally tried the suspected bad ESC in both Port 2 and Port 4 on the RX just to eliminate that or a radio set up issue as I am newbee on Futabas. Same issue.

Guess I will be packing this up and sending it back. Though Castle said they would not normally warranty these in this config as they were not designed to run 540 cans. He advised me to stay above 45T, I am currently on 55T but going to 45Ts but I do not believe that is an issue.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I had a problem with mine too at first, you will need to program them with a castle link. I could not get mine to calibrate. It has to do with the deadband setting.

Can you program it at all, or does it just not calibrate?? Do the lights flash just flash on the one??
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
I had a problem with mine too at first, you will need to program them with a castle link. I could not get mine to calibrate. It has to do with the deadband setting.

Can you program it at all, or does it just not calibrate?? Do the lights flash just flash on the one??
They flash and you can do the initial set up. but when it rings the motor to sound the tones. they are real faint. Almost like on of the mosfets isn't putting out.

I will try the Castle Link, good idea.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

hmmm.... never heard of that one. Basically I could not get mine start up once I plugged the battery in. The lights would just flash and nothing would happen. Once I adjusted my deadband, it works fine. But it sounds like you have a different issue maybe.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm running dual mamba micro pros on my berg with 37t motors, 3s, programmed via castle link and have never had a problem. I have been running them for a little over a year now. I hope you get it figured out, and let us know.
456heinbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Please post what you come up with. Im getting ready to put this set up in my berg on 35T's and 3S
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
hmmm.... never heard of that one. Basically I could not get mine start up once I plugged the battery in. The lights would just flash and nothing would happen. Once I adjusted my deadband, it works fine. But it sounds like you have a different issue maybe.
We've had issue's with Austin's mamba max pro not always wanting to arm, I adjusted his deadband and throttle curves last time I had the truck to help with the little fingers and big power. I can't remember it not arming since, I'll ask him if it has tomorrow as I have one sidewinder that won't arm everytime (about 90-95%?) and see it every now and then and would like a solid fix.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I have re soldered all the connections and replaced the motor Deans connector. I also tried to use my Castle Link, but it would not recognize the bad ESC. Worked fine on the working one. So, the ESC is on it's way back to Castle.

Again.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
Holmes Hobbies

Seems castle is having an issue with them.I have had 2 that would only work one way,either it will rev. or go forward but not both ways. Sent them in and they were both replaced. I had to do the link set up, program them one at a time then pull the red wire from one the plug every thing in. Been working great on 3 cell, 35 turn motors ever since. Go luck.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
20K Club

You sure you didn't still have it in brushless mode?

I am still thinking about trying these out in the new Berg, they are really smooth and I know for the most part Castle is one of the most reliable ESC's.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
You sure you didn't still have it in brushless mode?

I am still thinking about trying these out in the new Berg, they are really smooth and I know for the most part Castle is one of the most reliable ESC's.
Wouldn't matter as it wont link to castle link.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Wouldn't matter as it wont link to castle link.
Have you tried doing it with it plugged into a battery?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Have you tried doing it with it plugged into a battery?
Sure did. I have the red lead removed so a battery is needed. Everything I have done I have done side by side with the one that works. Switched channels on the receiver, switched motors, re-soldered deans and the "Y" junction of the power connector. What ever channel and motor the "Rear" one is attached to works, what ever the "Front" one is connected to, doesn't work.

Keep in mind this is my second bad one. Very different symptoms. Castle Tech Support is aware of this problem.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sounds like the two ESCs are hardwired together at the power wires. Clip a power wire, I bet it will solve your problem. And it sounds like they are in brushless mode to me too.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Sounds like the two ESCs are hardwired together at the power wires. Clip a power wire, I bet it will solve your problem. And it sounds like they are in brushless mode to me too.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I had the same issues with my micros at first. One would calibrate, the other acted dead and would produce faint rings, as stated. I have had sidewinders do this but it was cold solders on bullet joints that was the issue.
I did program the micros through the castle link first. It literally took about 30 minutes to get the second one to act right.
I tried a combination of many things. I even accidentially soldered up the +/- backwards on one esc and i thought i had fried it. magic smoke and all. I just kept trying different things and the second one finally acted right and started. No issues since with the 4pks. I think i finally did de-solder the two esc power wires and calibrated them separately, not one battery to two escs, as they are now.
Hope you get it figured out.

Last edited by Szczerba; 01-03-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Is there a wiring diagram somewhere that show's the correct way to wire dual Esc's?
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #18
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstergt View Post
Is there a wiring diagram somewhere that show's the correct way to wire dual Esc's?
Here is mine:

Quote:
4PK Wiring Diagram for Ultimate Setup - This is hyperlinked to the first post for ease of looking.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Not sure what you mean John. They are hardwired together just as shown in Harleys diagram below. ccBEC Rd to both ESCs red to battery red, ccBEC black to both ESCs black to the battery black. In the motor side, the white wired is folded over with heat shrink isolating it, the black and reds are wired to Deans, the Motors have deans. The one that works is set to brushed mode but as the second one won't like to the Castle Link, there is not much I can do. Both ESCs RX wire have the red pin pulled and covered in heat shrink. In Castle's Tech Support mind there are multiple issues with this ESC.

You may very well be right about it being in Brushless mode as I believe that is the default, but if it won't link, I can't set it. The more I think about it, the faint ringing and the jittering of the motor sure sounds like it is in Brushless mode. I do believe there is a manual way to set it but if it doesn't work with the Link, I want it replaced anyway.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
20K Club

Unhardwire the two ESC's from the power source. That is the problem, the ESC is fine most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Not sure what you mean John. They are hardwired together just as shown in Harleys diagram below. ccBEC Rd to both ESCs red to battery red, ccBEC black to both ESCs black to the battery black. In the motor side, the white wired is folded over with heat shrink isolating it, the black and reds are wired to Deans, the Motors have deans. The one that works is set to brushed mode but as the second one won't like to the Castle Link, there is not much I can do. Both ESCs RX wire have the red pin pulled and covered in heat shrink. In Castle's Tech Support mind there are multiple issues with this ESC.

You may very well be right about it being in Brushless mode as I believe that is the default, but if it won't link, I can't set it. The more I think about it, the faint ringing and the jittering of the motor sure sounds like it is in Brushless mode. I do believe there is a manual way to set it but if it doesn't work with the Link, I want it replaced anyway.