Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: FEELER: Backlights for DX3R, DX3S, and MORE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default FEELER: Backlights for DX3R, DX3S, and MORE

Now that i got a pretty blue star under my name (it was time to renew and i've been considering the vendor star for the last few months so now was the time)

Anyways i'd like to see how much interest is out there for a backlight kit to light up the screen on your radios, such as the dx3s and the dx3r.

The kit i will be selling will have many advantages compared to other el kits for other radios or diy projects.

I will be using a el driver which unlike inverters consumes much less power, longer life span, and is near silent (inverters have a annoying high pitched buzzing)

The driver is setup to match the frequency of the el it comes with and puts out just the perfect amount of power to maintain max efficiency and brightness. Which increase lifespan of both the el and driver, more runtime on radio, and puts out just a bright brightness without causing a glare

Pre-made harness, all you'll have to do is drill 1 hole, and 2 solder joints.

Driver will be heat shrinked to keep out any dust or cause any shorts from other components, so hot glue mounting can easily be done

The hardest part of the whole install is removing the film off of the back of the lcd, which is simple in concept (removing a sticker, and getting the adhesive/glue off) but requires patience, or accidents can happen.

As of now the kit will come with a

-Blue El panel (trim to fit) (blue backlight)
-El driver (Not a inverter!!!, It more efficient, quieter, smaller, longer life span)
-Wiring harness(requires 2 simple solder joints and drill a hole for the switch)
-Printed instructions, (dx3s for sure, still pending on 3r)

Options will include-

Free-

Power Switch- Push Button, Small toggle, direct power(turns on with tx)

Paid-

-El Color-Red, yellow green, green yellow (~$10)
-20 AWG Silicone insulated wire in wiring harness (~$10) (stnd, 26 AWG High Quality Servo Wire)

Final cost will be around $35 plus shipping

I am ordering enough parts to do 5 kits, 2 of which are sold, 2 are so i can install, write up instructions, and have final product pics. So i will have 1 extra. If anyone is interested in having a kit now without directions let me know now, i can order more parts if more than 1 person wants a kit. Otherwise pre-orders for these kits will be 4-5 weeks out
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I may be interested in a DX3S kit, would like to see one after install though.
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Got Worms?

Ok so here is a few pics with these kits installed on a stick radio

Light on, Backlight off

Light off, Backlight off

Light On, Backlight on, Blue

Light off, Backlight On, Blue

Light Off, Backlight On, Red

Light off, Backlight On, Green

Old 01-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Have you done a consumption test for direct power?
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Well before the mods i will preform to the driver i'm ordering it pulls 35mah for the main power and the switch pulls .2mah. I may eventually do a timed switch so when you use use the roller the screen will light up for 30 secs, or similar. But i will have to experiment.

The mods i'll do shouldn't affect the power draw at all, at most a few mah do to resistance

Last edited by losikid; 01-01-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Interested in 3r. Where does one hide the driver? Dies it have to stick on the case? Can it hide internally? Does it hum?
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
Interested in 3r. Where does one hide the driver? Dies it have to stick on the case? Can it hide internally? Does it hum?
Right there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I will be using a el driver which unlike inverters consumes much less power, longer life span, and is near silent (inverters have a annoying high pitched buzzing)

Driver will be heat shrinked to keep out any dust or cause any shorts from other components, so hot glue mounting can easily be done
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I might be interested in a set for my DX3R.I'll keep checking for updates.

Last edited by Bcampisi; 01-04-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Bcampisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
Yes it mounts internally (very small compared to a inverter) with hot glue,
Old 01-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
Got Worms?

Well here is some more specs on the el driver and el

-Max hieght dimension is .5" (this is at the header(plug) otherwise about .15" height the rest of the board.
-Dimensions .79"x.83" thats .6557 sq in
-El panel will support a screen that is 3.18"x1.85" (should be real close to the 3r, may be a touch under on the width) (the el panel can easily be trimmed with siccors)
-Can operate between 2v's and 5v's, there is a 0 ohm resistor on board which can be replaced to lower the voltage down if higher voltage is being used in the radio. (All radios i know of have a built in voltage regulator that drops it down to 5v, but it may not always be the case
-Alot quieter, smaller, and lighter than a standard 120v inverter
-Whole driver only draws 35mah
-For electric gurus, you can use a secondary power source as a switch to turn the el on and off(as long as you have the primary power source turned on), it only drawls .2mah so it should be safe to use on a processor pin (yes you would most likely need a updated firmware)
-Can support el panels up to 6 square inches, (if needed i can get a more powerful driver made)
-Will be heat shrinked, with an adhesive seal, so it should lock out moisture, dirt, dust etc., prevent any short circuiting or static elec discharge (dimensions from above will be larger due to heat shrink)
-Quality parts are used (wire, switches, solder, other components, etc)
Old 01-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcampisi View Post
I might be interested in a set for my DX3R.I'll keep checking for updates.
x2
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Got Worms?

Whats the screen size on the 3r???

What other radios would you guys be interested in having this work for? I was thinking the futaba 3 ch radios(3-pmx and 3pl) would like one and possibly even the 4pl, 4pl, etc, but offer different colors :mgreen:
Also would need screen sizes of those as well.

Yea guys post up if your interested, i would like to know. Here in 3-4 weeks i will do a pre-order and i will need at least 20 orders. I can do it sooner but no instructions.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
Got Worms?

Ok well i had a guy drop out, i will have 3 kits ready in the next few days, they will come with no detailed instructions, but basically you're opening the case up, mounting a switch, two solder joints, pealing a sticker off the lcd, cleaning the adhesive off, modifiying the lcd holder a little, then reassemble. If you have installed back light before, or know how, i will send a kit for the price of shipping if you write up a detailed set of instructions. I'd be willing to do this for Both a 3r and/ or a 3s. I'd also think about it for another radio. Otherwise they are 35 plus shipping. If anyones interested send me a pm.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Got Worms?

I should have instructions written up hopefully sometime this week for the dx3s, i'm still looking for a local willing to let me hack away at their 3r, but installation should be similar. Once i get one installed and all goes smooth i'll start selling. but for those wondering, this will void your warranty, and i am not liable for any damages done to your own radio.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
Got Worms?

Ok so who wants pictures????

I got 5 kits built, i still need to install one though, so i can get pics of it installed.

I should have a kit installed Monday or Tuesday. and pics up of the final out come shortly installed, along with a pdf of the instructions.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
Got Worms?

So here is a sneak peak at it, cell pics, sorry for the res

Here is the complete set (change and usb flash drive not included)

The el driver (change not included)

The back light and the power switch(change not included)

The switch (change not included)

The switch again (change not included)

Here is the el thickness, anyone whom has seen a inverter before should be pretty exited

Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Exclamation

Ok here is pics of it installed, i'm still working on getting instructions written up.

OFF

ON (it actually a darker blue, but camra don't see it that way)

Off in a galare

On in a glare

Off in the dark

on in the dark (sorry a bit out of focus)

Old 01-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #18
Got Worms?

Here's the rough installation instructions, i still need to go through and do a little revision and editing. I have also decided to go green and not include printed instructions, i was thinking close to 5 pages would be suffice, but it turned into 13 pages. I still may though include instructions though without pics.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...uthkey=CKqQgGk
Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #19
Got Worms?

Also i am working on making it 100% solder free installation. This may be a batch or two away though.

As well as making the brightness adjustable. What are your guys thoughts on this. Do you want a knob, or a hole that you put a small flat head screw driver into. Also should it be included, or optional. It will be $5-10 additional either way.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #20
Got Worms?

ok well after looking at prices to add adjustable brightness will be around 10 dollars, and it may reduce the power consumed by 10-20 ma. My meter was showing a backwards 6, which possibly was a 2, just one of the pixels wasn't turning off. If so my power consume tests shown indicates at low brightness (in daylight hard to tell its even on) at .02 amps (or 20 ma) to full brightness which is .04 amps (40 ma).

So it will probabibly just be an add on, let me know if you guys are interested.

On another note here in the next 2 days (possibly tonight) i will be putting up a thread in the vendor section for preorders and a tech/info thread in the elec section, i'd like to get 20 orders so i can get my bulk discounts so i can make more than a dollar off a kit. As of now prices are $35 per kit, $5 to ship priority, TBD for first class. $10 for additional el panels (if you want a different color red, green, blue are your options, it comes with blue) and $10 for adjustable brightness add-on. Both additional els and brightness adjuster are special request when you pre-order. Also as of now only instructions for dx3s, i am looking for a 3r here locally, but if you got the knowledge to add a kit to the 3r and make a instruction sheet for me i will send you a kit for free. It will be very similar to the 3s.