Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: A lot of smoke. What did I Destroy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default A lot of smoke. What did I Destroy?

Well I did something insanely dumb last night. To avoid being an idiot don't take sinus night time meds and grab a soldering iron!

Well anyway on my mrc I noticed I had knocked off a motor wire. I went to reconnect it and to be honest as much as I love my HH motor the + sign is a little bit deceiving when looking at it mounted in a rig. Anyway by accident I attached both motor wires to the positive mount. Well I first saw smoke from the negative motor wire. After scrambling to disconnect the battery I got the motor mounted correctly. Plugged everything back in and reconnected the battery. At this point micro sidewinder started smoking. I noticed the battery was hotter n a pistol. I pulled the battery and put the truck away. Today I installed a new sidewinder and also plugged in a different battery. Everything worked but I am using a cheap radio (so my kid can use it) and I am not sure if I am getting the most smooth motor performance. Bottom line is did I cook the motor too??????

Last edited by RickM; 01-02-2011 at 08:40 PM.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Nothing was flowing through the motor if you had both positive and negative hooked to one side of the motor, it should be fine. Don't feel bad, I have done the same thing before and cooked two ESCs before realizing what was wrong.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

One time i had rebuilt a associated t4 transmission and put it in the truck.... Well i went to drive it and it went about .02mph the the esc started smoking...
well i forgot a little spacer on the tranny and a screw was smashing into the slipper.
out4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks JRH. I would have been really ticked if I had burned up that motor. I had to wait for a bit for you to get them back in stock and now have it really well setup in this rig. It is a little jumpy at start but it is probably more due to this radio and less to do with the motor. I have the RTR losi radio setup with this as I hate to hand my son my DX3r. I rebind before comps and stuff!!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Ive done it on a 540 and got that side of the endbell hot enough to melt the plastic and have the brush hood shift. It wasnt on a crawler when I did it, but Id double check it to make sure, especially if you crammed the trottle while you were testing it.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Thanks JRH. I would have been really ticked if I had burned up that motor. I had to wait for a bit for you to get them back in stock and now have it really well setup in this rig. It is a little jumpy at start but it is probably more due to this radio and less to do with the motor. I have the RTR losi radio setup with this as I hate to hand my son my DX3r. I rebind before comps and stuff!!
For a little tip I have found helpfull with the losi radio.
You can cut a piece of foam and wedge it behind the trigger.
This helped controle my jumpy finger and gives a little more consistant feel and finess on the trigger.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
For a little tip I have found helpfull with the losi radio.
You can cut a piece of foam and wedge it behind the trigger.
This helped controle my jumpy finger and gives a little more consistant feel and finess on the trigger.
Ive been in RC for over 20 years and thats one great tip that I've never heard of or thought of before. I always crank the spring tension a turn or so on my triggers, but Ive used high end radios for a long time.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
MODERATOR™

I put my middle finger behind the trigger and squeeze onto it.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
RCC Addict

EeePee- Why you gotta give your radio the bird?

Rockhard. Great tip. I am definitely doing that. Alex at Hobbytown was showing me the other day how he had put fuel tubing on the trigger of his DX3r. Very cool idea also.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

While bench testing the electronics on the Willys build, I accidentally plugged the LiPo into the motor side of the Tekin FXr. The instant I did it, I started to hear a whistling noise, then 5 seconds later I saw the LiPo puffing up like a balloon. I burned my fingers when I grabbed the deans connector to disconnect my mistake, I tossed a LiPo bag on top of the battery about 2 seconds before it blew up in flames!!

Don't feel bad about your mistake, it cost you some $$ but it's a mistake that you will never repeat.( the ones that cost you are the ones you never forget)
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #11

Default smoke

I had an emaxx that I upgraded to mamba monster system with two 6S 3300mah lipo's for power. Ran it into water on the side of the road be mistake. Burned the speed controller up and some wiring. Lots of smoke!!! The motor and batteries were ok. It was kind of scary!
landmissle is offline   Reply With Quote