Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: everything gets hot.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #1

Default everything gets hot.

ok so hears what i have first its a scx10 with a venom 55t motor a venom 4600mha pack, and a traxxus xl-5 esc and axial rx. ok im using an addapter right now between the battery and esc because the battery has tymia connectors on it which i am changing. but im having a problem getting my pack to charge first when i hook it to my charger it charges for about 10 mins then the charger says the leads are wrong. but before i was having that problem the battery would charge and when i hooked it in to my truck the truck would move really slow for about two feet then everything would get really hot to the point the motor will start to smoke. also the pack will get hot and the connector for the pack will get almost to hot to touch. its almost like the pack is putting out too much current.

any ideas will be greatly appericated.

thanks
matt.
83jeepj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Official Cook of the ECC

1st thing is to ditch the Tamiya connector. Possibly the worst connector on the planet.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #3

thats what ive been reading on hear and what everyone is saying. its also like the wires on the motor are not heavy enough for it aswell so im thinking im going to step them up a little aswell.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i doubt your wires on the motor are to small that motor draws very little current. it is possible your battery is shorting out causing everything to get so hot because the pack wont put out the current just the electronics will draw it away from the battery.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

well ive hooked the motor to another battery and the wires on the motor still get hot with in a few seconds. i plan on eliminting the wires on the motor and just soldering the wires from the esc directly to the motor.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
RCC Addict

post pics so we can see your setup.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #7

the motor is not bolted in rigt now because the solder on the black wire melted off and I need to fix it. I'll be bringing my multimeter home from work tomorrow so I can really check everything out.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

You have 2 different connectors on there, and the power can't flow as smoothly. If you can, you should put a deans connector. And if you do that you will just have to lengthen the esc imput wires a little
out4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #9

i have a set of the traxxus connectors comming in to fix the plug on the battery and get rid of the addapter.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

That should deffinately help a lot
out4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #11

i sure hope it fixes my problems because i got this thing a week ago and have not been able to run any more than the two feet it would move before it stopped and started smoking.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Make sure that you have no binding on the truck also. Take the pinion off the motor, or take the motor out, then give the rig a push, it should roll very easily.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #13

Yea I though that was a problem but once I took the motor out I rolled it across the ground and it rolled pretty easy. It didn't have any binding.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Make sure the pinion on the motor isn't too tight against the spur gear. When you have the proper mesh you should be able to rock the spur just a tiny bit. If there is no space at all it will bind.

Randy
racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #15

Thoes were the first things I checked before I posted this I made sure there wasn't any binding and everything was moving smoothly. That is why I'm leaning towards there is too much current coming from the battery causing all the heat issues but the more I read and with the posts on hear it seem my problem lies In the plug on my battery.

Thank you all for the help
Old 01-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Does the motor run ok when out of the truck?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Can you take a picture of the wires going to your motor?

I cant see why a battery connector would make the motor start to smoke, sounds like an issue lies between the esc and the motor. In your picture it is hard to see but it almost looks like the wires are hooked up to the wrong posts, maybe I am tripping. If the connector was faulty I could understand your battery or esc getting hot but the motor smoking with no other problems, sounds like you should look at the motor.

Like someone else suggested, check if the motor works well out of the truck.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Can you take a picture of the wires going to your motor?

I cant see why a battery connector would make the motor start to smoke, sounds like an issue lies between the esc and the motor. In your picture it is hard to see but it almost looks like the wires are hooked up to the wrong posts, maybe I am tripping. If the connector was faulty I could understand your battery or esc getting hot but the motor smoking with no other problems, sounds like you should look at the motor.

Like someone else suggested, check if the motor works well out of the truck.
I thought the same thing at first, but the motor wouldnt turn if the leads were on the same side of the endbell. My guess is the motor is toast... since he said he saw smoke roll out of it. Also, if the ESC is pushing wide open throttle into a toasted motor, everything will heat up really fast. Ive been curious about those venom motors having shorting issues. Back in my carpet days, I saw motors with alloy endbells have shorts due to manufacturing flaws. The checkpoints were really bad about it if you didnt clean the brush dust/ carpet fibers off of them. It may have been Randy Pike (not 100% sure he was the thread starter), but someone from tekin wrote a thread on RCTech about it.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
dnf

I would say check the motor for sure,you can remove the motor from the truck and leave connected to esc.Or you can make some aligator clips so you can hook straight to battery.

I have seen metal washers,nuts,ect get pulled into the motor through the vents,You could have something inside the can causing the issue.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:47 AM   #20

Yea I removed the motor from the truck and hooked it to another battery and it will run good for about two seconds then it slows down and gets hot.