Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Controllers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #1

Default Controllers

Can I buy a decent 2 stick controller that will control a helicopter and make it control a rock crawler just as well?
Thanks
ASTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yes and no. You can definitely convert a stick radio over to work with a crawler, no problem there. The problem is that you will probably want both sticks to return to center, normally a stick radio has one stick that doesnt do this for the throttle since there is no reverse or brakes and constant throttle is usually applied for flying. Basically there is a spring on a little arm attached to the throttle stick the pulls it back to center, you would want to disconnect and reconnect that spring depending on if you were flying or crawling.

That being said they actually make very good crawler radios because of all the mixing functions you can use and all the switches (if you can drive with twin sticks).

If you are going to be using it for a MOA rig you can use dual esc's and configure a mix to apply power to both of them and then have a switch that locks the rear for a front dig. Also you can adjust front rear bias on the fly with the other stick.

If you are going to use it for a scaler then you will have plenty of channels for all the bells and whistles.

A lot of people using stick radios on here use the DX6I. Great radio and you get a ton more features for your money when you compare them with pistol radios.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

What he said. The left stick needs to be ratcheting for planes and helis. It is nice to have it centering for cars. Makes it hard to do both.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 AM   #4

Awesome, thanks for the detailed response. I used to have a really nice helicopter with a pretty sweet radio that had a ton of switches on it and a display. IIRC, it did have return to center on both. The throttle stick was return to center for 3D flying (flying the helicopter upside down, flat pitch was achieved at neutral).
I'll have to do more research and see if that would be worthwhile.
Thanks again guys!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTAR View Post
Awesome, thanks for the detailed response. I used to have a really nice helicopter with a pretty sweet radio that had a ton of switches on it and a display. IIRC, it did have return to center on both. The throttle stick was return to center for 3D flying (flying the helicopter upside down, flat pitch was achieved at neutral).
I'll have to do more research and see if that would be worthwhile.
Thanks again guys!
Never was good enough at upright flight...Haha
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Never was good enough at upright flight...Haha
Haha me neither! That's why I'm considering getting a remote that will control both and just fixing the cheaper heli that I now already have. I fly the real ones for a living but the RC are a pain!! haha