Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: BEC hook-up help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default BEC hook-up help

OK this may seem like an old already coverd question..... but I searched & am still confused. Sorry...

Just got a used CC BEC.... yes this will be my first BEC ever.

I have an Teken FXR, CC BEC, airtronics 94158 & old school airtronics radio gear...

The confusing part is there are a bunch of differant diagrams out there.. Some for spectrum(bind) recievers, some for high amp servos, some for brushelss setups & on & on.... All seem to be slightly differant....

So how do decid which way is correct for my setup? I dont want to blow anything (expecialy the FXR)

& if I chabge to a hitec 645MG does that change the way it needs to needs hooked up?
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=airdreams1;2848468]OK this may seem like an old already coverd question..... but I searched & am still confused. Sorry...

I have an Teken FXR, CC BEC, airtronics 94158 & old school airtronics radio gear...

The confusing part is there are a bunch of differant diagrams out there.. Some for spectrum(bind) recievers, some for high amp servos, some for brushelss setups & on & on.... All seem to be slightly differant....

So how do decid which way is correct for my setup? I dont want to blow anything (expecialy the FXR)

IMO this is the best way to hook up your BEC;

The reason is that some receivers can not handle the higher voltage that some people like to supply their servos with, using this diagram you will supply your servo directly with power rather than relying on the receiver to power the servo.
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreams1 View Post
if I chabge to a hitec 645MG does that change the way it needs to needs hooked up?
not at all.
motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

i just use a y plug and modify it like this

(leave the ESC power wire intact to the RX)

it's the most fool proof way, cant overpower the RX, easily change the servo, or reprogram the BEC, the only reason some people don't like ti is because it's "bulky" which, IMO, it's worth having a couple more wires for the adjustability.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
i just use a y plug and modify it like this

(leave the ESC power wire intact to the RX)

it's the most fool proof way, cant overpower the RX, easily change the servo, or reprogram the BEC, the only reason some people don't like ti is because it's "bulky" which, IMO, it's worth having a couple more wires for the adjustability.
x2 I use a similar y adapter for the exact reasons given above.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

so you made the splitter?
& its exactly the same as the pic correct? (red from bec hooked to red of servo & black from bec hooked to black to servo. & orange from reciever all the way to to servo)
Old 01-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
RCC Addict

correct.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
so you made the splitter?
& its exactly the same as the pic correct? (red from bec hooked to red of servo & black from bec hooked to black to servo. & orange from reciever all the way to to servo)
but remove the (orange?) white signal wire to the bec.

you just remove the red and black from RX side, and white from bec side.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

had back surgery so I was off for a while & am still recovering.
i got it tested & when I feel better Ill do a permanate setup...
Thanks for the help
Old 01-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

BEC Wiring Diagram...
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #11
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=BFGcrawler418;2848504]
Quote:
OK this may seem like an old already coverd question..... but I searched & am still confused. Sorry...

IMO this is the best way to hook up your BEC;

The reason is that some receivers can not handle the higher voltage that some people like to supply their servos with, using this diagram you will supply your servo directly with power rather than relying on the receiver to power the servo.
about this diagram.. you can really use the BEC on the ESC?

ive been wanting to hook up my Servo directly from my BEC, but didnt know which wires to keep and which wires to take out.

BTW, do you wire the Servos pos and neg to the BECs RX housing case? im lost on that part too

Last edited by MRCCRAWLER1.9; 01-22-2011 at 01:50 AM.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=MRCCRAWLER1.9;2876972]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGcrawler418 View Post

about this diagram.. you can really use the BEC on the ESC?

ive been wanting to hook up my Servo directly from my BEC, but didnt know which wires to keep and which wires to take out.

BTW, do you wire the Servos pos and neg to the BECs RX housing case? im lost on that part too
in this diagram you're using the external bec to power the servo only, and the esc's bec to power the RX and anything you may plug into the AUX in the RX, say if you've got a light system that you don't want to run at higher voltage (esc puts out 5v I think), but you need your servo to run at 7v or something higher. I don't know how much voltage an RX can handle, but I think it's closer to 6v, so you need to run it this way at higher voltage. If you're just running your castle bec at 6v, then it's easier to just wire it the way castle shows on their diagram.
marvinbeaverdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #13

anyone happen to have a wiring diagram for dual bec's and dual servo's? I'm trying to find a setup for dual stear with high torque servos...
t-oda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Well I don't get how you wire the bec to the servo directly.. Do you soler it on or what?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCCRAWLER1.9 View Post
Well I don't get how you wire the bec to the servo directly.. Do you soler it on or what?
get something like this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTSK2&P=7 and plug the servo into one of the female ends, the BEC into the other female end (snip the white signal wire on this lead), and snip the pos and neg on the lead that goes to the male plug (which you'll put in the 1st channel on the RX)
If you don't want to snip them, you can also just use a knife or small screwdriver to undo that particular wire that goes into the plug and just fold it back and wrap with electrical tape. When I made mine I took all the wires out of the plug, slipped on a piece of shrink tubing, put it back together and put the shrink tube over the wire I took out and shrunk it down. T3RRY has shown this exact setup in his picture above.
Does that help?

Last edited by marvinbeaverdip; 01-22-2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: goof
Old 01-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-oda View Post
anyone happen to have a wiring diagram for dual bec's and dual servo's? I'm trying to find a setup for dual stear with high torque servos...
Should be the same as a single, just doubled. You're not thinking of doing dual steer with just one channel running it, right?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinbeaverdip View Post
Should be the same as a single, just doubled. You're not thinking of doing dual steer with just one channel running it, right?
No, I've got a 4pl with 4ws mixing, so I'll be using the 3rd channel for the rear servo.
t-oda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinbeaverdip View Post
get something like this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTSK2&P=7 and plug the BEC into one of the female ends, the servo into the other female end (snip the white signal wire on this lead), and snip the pos and neg on the lead that goes to the male plug (which you'll put in the 1st channel on the RX)
If you don't want to snip them, you can also just use a knife or small screwdriver to undo that particular wire that goes into the plug and just fold it back and wrap with electrical tape. When I made mine I took all the wires out of the plug, slipped on a piece of shrink tubing, put it back together and put the shrink tube over the wire I took out and shrunk it down. T3RRY has shown this exact setup in his picture above.
Does that help?
gotcha, thanks!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCCRAWLER1.9 View Post
gotcha, thanks!
I edited my post. The y-harness lead connected to the BEC is the one that needs the signal wire disconnected. In any case, T3RRY's picture shows what I'm suggesting.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

if im gonna run a stronger than stock servo do i need to go ahead and add the bec at the same time?
boogiecash is offline   Reply With Quote