Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 7950 super Hot and stiff and slow....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Angry 7950 super Hot and stiff and slow....

hey guys I did a bit of searching around and could not find my exact problem with my Hi-Tec 7950. I am running it on a Losi Comp Crawler through a CCBEC at 7.4 volts on a 3S battery, and it has worked flawlessly for about 7 months now. I noticed that suddenly my servo was turning my tires kinda of slower than normal. So I picked up the car and touched the servo, I could not leave my finger on it for more than a second, it was hotter than I had ever felt it. So I let it cool down and by hand turned the steering back and forth and it was SUPER stiff. I disconnected the servo arm and the steering linkage is loose and not binding, but when I went to turn the servo horn by hand I could barley get the servo to turn. SUPER STIFF !! I took the servo apart and greased all the gears and rotated them to some fresh teeth thinking that maybe the teeth on one side of the gear are worn or damaged. I also turned the motor by hand, everything inside seemed perfectly normal looking for a servo???? Put it back together and it may have gotten slightly better? But it still gets super hot and is very stiff and slower than normal after one battery pack???? I really dont want to have to send it into to Hi-Tec but I will if no one has any suggestions????
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Send it in and let the warranty department deal with it! They know their stuff the best
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

thats why most people buy hitec, they have awesome service and it only takes 5-10 days depending how busy they are. I mailed it a 5965 and had it back in 1 business week
rock addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If it's getting that hot, it's not the gears, it's the motor.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock addict View Post
thats why most people buy hitec, they have awesome service and it only takes 5-10 days depending how busy they are. I mailed it a 5965 and had it back in 1 business week
Amen to that. Bang for the buck hard to beat the hitec product and service!
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
MODERHATER™

When you took it apart do you check to see if any of the pins the gears ride on were bent or broken?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Just be sure to have a receipt for the servo. I know lot's of people have had great luck but I am one of the people that was screwed over by them. I send in a 5925 years ago when it was their top hi speed servo. In return they sent me a 965, so a different,lower level servo, and my repair bill was full retail on the 965. I phoned them and asked them about it and they told me to deal with what I got and then hung up on me. I wasn;t rude on the phone with them but they seemed like they were in a real hurry to get me off the phone.

Since then I have used a few different servo's and have gone to Futaba and haven't looked back. I did buy one Hitec 7950 because I needed a servo and there was nothing else in stock at the time but I am running the Futaba in that rig now as well.

I would say it's the servo motor and it has to go to Hitec.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

My 7950 is at hitec being fixed for the same problem only mine quit working completely I sent it before new years and haven't heard from them yet, hopefully won't be too much longer
greencrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Ok, thanks guys. I will take it off in the morning and ship it off to Hi-Tec. I am glad I have a back up servo, I just have to re-program my CCBEC back down to 6volts.
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Will Hitec work on or repair servo's that are out of warranty? I have 2 7950's that are past warranty. One of them is starting to search for center and seems to be loosing some power. I thought about sending it in. I dont mind at all paying for a repair or rebuild. I just dont wanna pay for shipping and a service charge to be told I need to buy a new servo.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
Official Cook of the ECC

Yeah, I have a 7955 I have had forever. Got it when they 1st released. Just stripped the one plastic gear in it recently but it is a little weaker than it used to be. Looks like hell too.

Is it worth sending in?

I can replace the gear for about 10 bucks but I still have a wounded servo. Could put it to work in the scaler I guess. Plenty of power for that.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

They do work on out of warrenty servos. They told me the most it would cost to repair my 7950 would be $90 for board and motor which is still cheaper than a new one. Only cost me 2 bucks to ship it to them hope that helps
greencrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrawler View Post
They do work on out of warrenty servos. They told me the most it would cost to repair my 7950 would be $90 for board and motor which is still cheaper than a new one. Only cost me 2 bucks to ship it to them hope that helps

Thats what I wanted to know, thanks.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

You should get an email from them when they receive it. I sent my 7950 in on Saturday and I got an email from them yesterday saying they had it. It said they try to have a 7-10 day turn around.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags