Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DIY RADIO: 6ch's, 3 pos switches, any form factor, you interested, click here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Lightbulb DIY RADIO: 6ch's, 3 pos switches, any form factor, you interested, click here

Well i will be ordering parts again here soon, once i get my dx3s/r backlight project, and others finished, to do another radio build. My question for you guys is would you be interested in a diy kit to build your own radio. It will come with all the parts required except the donor radio housing (i've been using the tq). and detailed step by step instructions for the tq (some thinking and it can be sckewed to work for you donor housing)

Skills required would be basic soldering skills (if you can solder a deans with a very small wire you should be good), basic fabrication skills (know how to use glue, exacto knife, and a dremel), and general common sense.

Tools required would be-exacto knife, hot glue gun, dremel, 15-30 watt soldering iron, solder, helping hands, straight edge (metal preferably, clean workspace, patience.

The kit would be like this

(2) 3 pos switches
(1) momentary 3 pos switch
(1) non centering pot (linear ch)
(2) centering pots, the throttle trigger and steering wheel.

This radio will be ideal for a scaler which needs more than 3 channels but a 4pk is too pricey.

This radio will be completely computer programmable featuring

3 mixs or 1 if you use channels 5&6
trim on all 6 channels, physical trim pots on channels 1&2 for throttle and steering
Epa's on all 6 channels
virtually unlimited model memory
Channel reversing on all 6 channels
Dual rates on channel 1, 2 and 4, can be programmed to a switch
Also this was originally a airplane radio so throttle and pith curves are also programmable but i don't know how to work them.

Also it will have
frequency hopping 2.4ghz technology.
A 4 aa cell battery pack to keep weight to a minimum
and the nice ergonomics that got us started in rc the tq radio

Then i will have add-ons which will include
-4ws mod
-moa mod
-winch mod
-screen mod
-Different assortment of switches in case the basic kit doesn't come with what you want

for more info on these mods visit this THREAD
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Got Worms?

What i would like to know

Are you interested? (Yes you are, or no your not, and why)

What did you like about the proposed product(s)?

What did you not like about the proposed product(s)?

What would be a good price to charge for a diy radio kit?

What would be a good price to charge for each of the additional mods?

Thanks,
Old 01-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Got Worms?

Ok si this is what i have came up for prices

DIY 6-ch basic kit ($70)

Includes
-3-4 switches
-2 trim pots w/ center detent
-Host radio (6ch stick radio)
-All necessary resistors, leds, etc. Plus a few spares
-(10 ft) 26 or 24 awg 3 conductor Quality wire (small, no springiness, flexible, real easy to work with)
-4 conductor plug, and housing
-Hobby knife
-Instructions as a pdf emailed to your email

Requires
-15-30 watt soldering iron
-Wire Cutters
-Wire strippers
-Heat gun, or lighter
-Hot glue
-4 AA batteries
-Helping hands
-Drill with bits around 1/4"
-(optional) Roatary Tool (dremel) with sander wheels cut off wheels
-Solder (.5-1 oz)
-Screw drivers
-all i can think of as of now)

MOA mod ($20)
Includes

-Joy stick
-(2) switches
-(1 ft) 26 or 24 awg 3 conductor Quality wire (small, no springiness, flexible, real easy to work with)
-Instructions as a pdf

Requires-

-15-30 watt soldering iron
-solder
-Drill (around 1/4" bit)
- Hot Glue
-Radio housing from the original included stick radio
-Dremel (if a tg, tq3 is not required)
-ABS cement
4ws mod ($25)

Includes

-Rotary Switch
-(4) pots
-(3 ft) 26 or 24 awg 3 conductor Quality wire (small, no springiness, flexible, real easy to work with)
-Knob
-Instructions as a pdf

Requires

-Soldering iron
-Solder
-Drill w/ drill bits

SCREEN (TBD)

The requirements are all about the same, just common tools for a rc person. Need to be ok at soldering (should be fine if you can solder a deans with a small wire), and general fabrication skills/sense needed. Once again if your into rc it should be skills you have, unless your the rtr kid that when i breaks you buy a new one.

As of now they prices are in theory, the mods are priced a touch high, the kit itself is about right. Oh none of it includes shipping, standalone mods are $5, the whole kit is $10 (which will be combined with any small parts ordered, such as mods)

LMK your guys thoughts, if no interest is shown i won't sell the kits.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

What would the cost be for the instructions with a parts list emailed?

I can't justify buying a high end tx for bashing, but I do want a quality one. What rx's will work with tis setup? Thats also a factor for me.
profsrkos2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by profsrkos2012 View Post
What would the cost be for the instructions with a parts list emailed?

I can't justify buying a high end tx for bashing, but I do want a quality one. What rx's will work with tis setup? Thats also a factor for me.
Honestly unless you know exactly where to go, it be cheaper, or same price to buy the kit from me, plus it is one transaction. i have built 5 of these radios, all of which i have slowly found the cheapest places. But i'm sure we can work something out if you just want a parts list and instructions

The rx's are about $15 a pop, but a pda or laptop/computer is required to change models, ahhh thats what i need to add, a pda mod/cord. probably around $20-30 for the cord to connect a pda.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

This has definitely piqued my interest.
Switching with a laptop or pda sounds ok to me, as does $15 for an rx.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
Got Worms?

Um, well what are looking for, just a 6ch radio, or do you need the 4ws and/or dual esc mod?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I don't really need 6 ch but as I progress, I'd like to have a radio that will keep up. I just can't swallow paying for a high end radio and then buying rx's at 60-80 bucks a pop for 5 of them.

I have an ax10 no dig yet, an LNC, a slash, a Tmaxx, and a DBX. A bully soon, so i would need the dual esc mod. I'm just tired of all the radio clutter and am looking to clean it all up with one or two tx's.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:15 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Wow
I would be interested, just for the fun of building something like this as well as supporting all the effort you have put into these radios. I've been wanting to do a dx6 to pistol (non Moa, Non 4 wheel steer, all scale) for a couple years now, but it seems daunting. This sounds like a fun project.
your prices seem very fair and I would like a screen mod

I'd probably have to get a PDA or laptop I'm very much behind the times

thanks
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I am interested but I would ok with it being in a stick style radio. I have looked at the hobby king radios a bit, but am not sure about the quality.

My son and I have been messing with a old emaxx that he wants to add "things" to and a 6 channel radio would be right up my alley. The most important to me is epa's on all channels. I don't know that I need a bunch of mixing capabilities.

Cheap rec. is a plus for sure. Let me know what you think.

Randy
racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerrandy View Post
I am interested but I would ok with it being in a stick style radio. I have looked at the hobby king radios a bit, but am not sure about the quality.

My son and I have been messing with a old emaxx that he wants to add "things" to and a 6 channel radio would be right up my alley. The most important to me is epa's on all channels. I don't know that I need a bunch of mixing capabilities.

Cheap rec. is a plus for sure. Let me know what you think.

Randy
The purpose behind this mod is to turn a stick radio into a pistol grip. So if you just need a stick radio the hobbyking radio is your best bet. As far as quality, they don't have great quality control, its just little things i notice though. I haven't had a bad one come from them, i use their radio for my conversions and they all worked (out of 5 radios i've bought, i think 5)
Old 01-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

You are on to a great thing here! I've always wanted to do this myself. Good job stepping up with a DIY kit.

Can you show us any pictures of your modified transmitters?
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Ok, I have a couple of tq radios and I have no problem soldering, so I would be interested in a kit.

Do you adjust everything with a pc? Will it have epa on all channels? Does it use a software program of some kind and do you include that?

Thanks,Randy
Old 01-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
You are on to a great thing here! I've always wanted to do this myself. Good job stepping up with a DIY kit.

Can you show us any pictures of your modified transmitters?
Quote:
Ok, I have a couple of tq radios and I have no problem soldering, so I would be interested in a kit.

Do you adjust everything with a pc? Will it have epa on all channels? Does it use a software program of some kind and do you include that?

Thanks,Randy
v4 Ultimate 6ch 2.4ghz pistol grip radio

This thread has more info.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Ok si this is what i have came up for prices

DIY 6-ch basic kit ($70)

Includes
-3-4 switches
-2 trim pots w/ center detent
-Host radio (6ch stick radio)

Maybe I've been reading wrong or I confused myself somewhere. Is this a stick or pistol tx? In some posts it sounds like a pistol tx.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Maybe I've been reading wrong or I confused myself somewhere. Is this a stick or pistol tx? In some posts it sounds like a pistol tx.

Losikid takes the guts from a 6ch stick radio and puts it all in a pistol grip.

Randy
Old 01-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Quote:
I take a stick radio (the host) then put it into the donor radio case (pistol grip). The kit will include all the parts for the conversion except the donor radio (i use the tq)
Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #18
Got Worms?

Quote:

Thanks,Randy
Yes epas on all ch's, all need to be programmed by cpu, or o will be working on a pda mod to allow certain pda's to work
Old 01-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I'm interested in this and my questions are:1. I have a few JR radios laying around that aren't 2.4ghz, will they work and will this kit convert them to 2.4ghz? 2. Are you going to make them programmable with a smartphone( been looking for a castle app but haven't found it yet), don't carry my laptop with me crawling and my phone is my pda now...
greencrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #20
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrawler View Post
I'm interested in this and my questions are:1. I have a few JR radios laying around that aren't 2.4ghz, will they work and will this kit convert them to 2.4ghz? 2. Are you going to make them programmable with a smartphone( been looking for a castle app but haven't found it yet), don't carry my laptop with me crawling and my phone is my pda now...
1. As long as the guts of the stick radio will fit ( i will get minimum dimesions needed)

2. As of now, no they are not programmable via a smart phone, but i'm looking into it. And it wouldn't be hard to keep a pda or laptop in your truck ( $20 on ebay for a pos laptop, but is good enough to run the program) or some pda's with pocket pc os and some older palms have a program as well that will be $10-20 on ebay, plus about $20 to make the cord.