Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: My Novak m2 dig experience(completely unbiased)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default My Novak m2 dig experience(completely unbiased)

I recently rebuilt my xr10 and was on the fence after reading the entire m2 dig thread!

I really wanted to try it out and have always had high hopes for it since they released the press release about a year ago.

I spoke with a couple locals about their experiences with it,
One person fried the board, three people were having glitching issues with a cc bec connected, and one person wasn't having any issues at all with the Novak bec wired up!

I had decided I didn't want to risk it, but after stewing over it for a day I decided "what the hell!"

Rig specs are:
Xr10
Fantom 45t motors
Hitec 7950 servo
TP 850mah 3 cell lipos 45c
M2 dig
***Novak 3a hv bec***(I think this is the key component)

My personal thoughts and experiences with one comp under my belt are...

I love it!!!!!
It fit nicely in my rig
Soldered up quickly and easily
Very simple to use once you read all the instructions!

I haven't had a single issue with it.
No glitching, no overheating, it works just as good as my tekin/punk combo!
I have not connected it to novalink yet though!
I knew there were issues, so I just decided to stick with the one touch programming until I speak with someone at Novak about it.

I have been in contact with one of the tech guys at Novak, and they have been excellent so far.

I know that the Novak bec isn't adjustable like the cc bec, but it didn't seem to affect my steering enough for me to notice yet!
I haven't really seen many people use the Novak bec yet, but I wonder if more people were using it, if they would still be having these problems?

I'm looking forward to playing with the propo a little bit over the next couple weeks.

The only thing I could complain about would be the drag brake on the one touch is pretty weak in my rig.
I have it set at the highest setting (97%) and it locks the wheels instead if allowing them to drag, but if I drop the setting down one step(85%) it basically free rolls with little resistance.
So for now I have it set at the highest, because I can deal with to stiff of a drag brake.

I felt like I should share my good experience with this product, simply because I am personally happy with my choice to try it, and I have been very pleased with novaks customer service.
I am confident that Novak will get the software issues fixed, and finally people will be able to use these esc's how they wanted to in the first place.

I understand most peoples frustrations with Novak, but I feel like they deserve a chance to get it fixed before they take a verbal beating from all of us.

Hopefully my review will help some of you that were on the fence about this speed control?
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I've used the Novak M2 since day one with my XR-10. And it wasn't until I did a servo upgrade that I found a need for a CC BEC. My BEC is basically hardwired between the batt and servo.

I'm not a crawling expert, but the M2 has done everything I've wanted to do with it. I haven't gone to NovaLink yet either (I have it....but no PC...I'm a Mac guy now), but wasn't aware there were issues. I'll hold off using it until I hear something more.

I'm not sure if it will give all the same options and performance of the most common config of dual Tekin FXR's, Punk dig and CC BEC. But I think it should meet the needs of the majority of users (that's novice through pro).

I think some people are waiting to see how it goes, and once the next version or upgrade is done, I think more people will go for it. I think some people are playing cautious on it.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for your review, i myself have taken the plunge into the M2 as a "what the hell" im currently building my XR10 and will be reporting my experience soon
turbobladz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Great review i have a few issues but getting them worked out Charlie at novak is great customer srvice top notch.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

If anyone figures out how to make propo actually work half decent let me know
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
If anyone figures out how to make propo actually work half decent let me know
Mine worked great under FW 1.0, not so much under 1.2... But, everything else works great!

...and yes, Novak's support has been great.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Glad to hear the M2 is working for you

I have given up on mine, it works pretty good but I can't get around the bec issue. The dragbrake also seems lacking. (maybe stiffer springs?)

A 7950 on 6v will pull 4.8 amps at stall. It seems the Novak bec falls a bit short, but real world testing will certainly tell the tale.

The proportional mode doesn't seem to work very smooth, I have never ran a duel esc set-up so I have nothing to compare to, but it is not what I "envisioned".

My first and only comp with the M2 went really well also, I was running off the M2's internal bec and it worked well, but it would thermal if I worked the servo too hard, fortunately, I didn't have to that day. I did not attempt to use the bias either.

Seeing this thread has given me some hope though, I may just hold onto the M2 for a bit and give it another go sometime.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I've been running a M2 for a several weeks now, and a couple of casual local comps (won both) and my only complaint is that it won't go slow enough. Got it set for the minimum "minimum drive" setting and the maximum "drive frequency" setting, both of which improved the default minimum speed a bit, but it's not enough.

Drag brake is fine at 85% (think that's it), I'm not running a external BEC, and am running 3s lipos. It doesn't get hot, and has plenty of steering power. Just won't go as slow as a BRXL/punk combo.

The M2 has tons of potential, just needs a little more development.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I have no problems with slow speeds at alll.
I forgot about that complaint!
It was fine in the stock setting, but I did drop the minimum drive to the lowest setting which did help.

I will admit that my 7950 on 6volts is definitely not the same as it was at 7.2 volts, but this didn't seem to affect it last weekend.
It was a snowy and cold comp, so we will see how it does when things warm up though.
I do wish that the Novak bec was at least a 5a not 3 though.

I know the propo isn't nearly as good as a 4pk and dual tekins, but for me to switch from spektrum to futaba would be way to expensive!

If I ever have the extra cash laying around, I will probably go buy a 4pk. But for now I am enjoying trying out new things
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I did find the M2 twitch at low speeds, I moved the expo to 40% on my DX3R and now throttle response is nice and smooth....
Old 05-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #11

Default M2 Dig glitches

I set up my XR1o with a Novak M2 Dig and it sometimes goes krazy. I have no BEC but if that is the problem, don't you think that this would be a constant problem? I just spent about two hours on the rocks with it and had no problems and all of a sudden it went full speed. I first thought it was the battery and after replacing the battery with a fresh one it still did it. I had to re-programm it with the one button and could play with it for another 40 minutes or so.
I went home and after a couple of hours I turned it on and the problem was there again so it is hard to pin point. Do I really need a BEC? if so, How was I able to run it for hours with out the BEC?
Also, the one button programming does not work sometimes. I have to try several times until the light goes finnaly green after I let go of the buttoin when the red light comes on. Any help would be apreciatted.

Thank you
Agustin Mireles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:06 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin Mireles View Post
I set up my XR1o with a Novak M2 Dig and it sometimes goes krazy. I have no BEC but if that is the problem, don't you think that this would be a constant problem? I just spent about two hours on the rocks with it and had no problems and all of a sudden it went full speed. I first thought it was the battery and after replacing the battery with a fresh one it still did it. I had to re-programm it with the one button and could play with it for another 40 minutes or so.
I went home and after a couple of hours I turned it on and the problem was there again so it is hard to pin point. Do I really need a BEC? if so, How was I able to run it for hours with out the BEC?
Also, the one button programming does not work sometimes. I have to try several times until the light goes finnaly green after I let go of the buttoin when the red light comes on. Any help would be apreciatted.

Thank you
Yes, that is a symptom of needing a BEC. Basically, you are starving your RX for power, and that is causing junk signals to be sent to the ESC. I'm guessing that it is happening more often than now when you are turning the front wheels.

Sorry, no help on the lights...
Old 05-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #13
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Im STOKED to read some positive reviews on the M2. Been running mine pretty much since I built my XR a few months ago & have had ZERO issues. I did have dual Mamba Micros initially & after a slew of problems...went with the BRAND NEW M2 a buddy GAVE me. I'm a heavy comp guy, run my rigs hard & put a TON of wheel time in each week. The ONLY complaint I had at 1st was the rear wheels pulling free slightly during a front wheel burn on high traction terrain. As soon as I stepped into Holmes Torque Master Pro Handwound 45T's...Drag locked like a wormdrive. Me & a fellow SOCALRCRC cat did a side by side between his dual FXR's & my M2 & there was little to no difference...other than cost. The mixing was a tad finicky at 1st but dialed that out no problem. I wish we woulda filmed it & maybe we will next comp. I run a CC BEC & again...no issues. I understand why the M2 has left such a bad taste in so many dudes mouths but they really have stepped up & made the thing work as advertised. To those on the fence...it DOES work. I run a DX3R & have a 4PKS on the way & have tossed the dual ESC idea around but think until the M2 gives me a reason to bail on her...I'm stickin with it.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Hardknockz,

You mention you run a CC BEC with your M2, how do you have yours hooked up?
aceisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceisback View Post
Hardknockz,

You mention you run a CC BEC with your M2, how do you have yours hooked up?
Exactly how the included instructions show. Hardwired to the DEANS & plugged into the battery port on my RX. I'm not up on the current wiring trends but know some guys wire em to the servo? I figured Castle did their homework & the research so I'd go their route for now.

Last edited by HARDKNOCKZ; 05-23-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Exactly how the included instructions show. Hardwired to the DEANS & plugged into the battery port on my RX. I'm not up on the current wiring trends but know some guys wire em to the servo? I figured Castle did their homework & the research so I'd go their route.
The issue I have with going through the RX is that some may not like the extra volts, thus I and others run the BEC direct to the servo and leave the RX out of the equation.
It also means the ESC is powering low load stuff leaving the ESC to ONLY power the servo.

But, that is my route.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:18 AM   #17
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

I've thought about those same issues & will most likely set it up the same way you have next time I have my rig torn down. Seems to be workin well for most.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #18

I just bought the M2 and installed it tonight so far so good. im just starting out on this rock crawling thing but i dose go pretty fast it seems so i will lower the points on it and see how i like it. i love the fact that i can run this with my clod buster.
Jeckel4438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Very helpful thread. I too was "on the fence" about this system, but now I think I'm gonna have to join the ranks of the "what the hell!" guys.
jlanders001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
As soon as I stepped into Holmes Torque Master Pro Handwound 45T's...Drag locked like a wormdrive.
What motors were you using before?
jlanders001 is offline   Reply With Quote