Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: need a good lipo size for titan12.5t in an scx10 scaler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default need a good lipo size for titan12.5t in an scx10 scaler?

do you have any suggestions?
i have an old school regular battery in it right now. it worked good for the brushless. but i need more for my titan 12.5 and xl-5.
im ready to make the switch to lipo.
i want something that is gonna make my titan work to its potential!
thanks in advance for the help.
i got 175 to spend on a charger and a lipo. will i get a worthy lipo and charger for that?
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2011, 03:29 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

A good charger is the Onyx 230, but that will break your budget with the LiPo.

With the XL-5, what do you plan to do about the low voltage issue with the LiPo cells?
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Since the ESC can handle a 2S LiPO & possibly a 3S (info here... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVSJ4&P=ML), you could do a Venom ProCharger... (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUAB8&P=ML) which will charge just about anything and this pack (http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?ap...9292&bc_menuid=).

Hopefully this helps.

BTW, I own 2 of the chargers & 4 of the packs.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
A good charger is the Onyx 230, but that will break your budget with the LiPo.

With the XL-5, what do you plan to do about the low voltage issue with the LiPo cells?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Since the ESC can handle a 2S LiPO & possibly a 3S (info here... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVSJ4&P=ML), you could do a Venom ProCharger... (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUAB8&P=ML) which will charge just about anything and this pack (http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?ap...9292&bc_menuid=).

Hopefully this helps.

BTW, I own 2 of the chargers & 4 of the packs.
thanks for your help guys. after doing more research. i decided it was a BAD idea to go lipo with the xl5. and my battery habits!
i went to the LHS and they didnt even have a good selection of lipo charger and balancers. so i went with
traxxas power cell, 8.4v series 4 4200mah. it is a nimh. but my 15 min charger works for it and i got alot more power now!

thanks again for your help guys!!!!
i really appreciate it!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
thanks for your help guys. My 15 min charger works for it and i got alot more power now!

thanks again for your help guys!!!!
i really appreciate it!!!!!!!!
Huh????....hopefully you are NOT running a charger that has a dial on it!!! This can KILL ANY battery quickly. Spend a few bucks and get ANY peak charger, you will be happy (ask my son that fried a NEW NiCD pack with a dial charger!!!)

While some sites (hobby partz?) have great prices, they are "offshore" so I have my doubts on support if you get a "dud" unit. I spend a little more for a USA unit to avoid some of the potential issues.
I own a Ice charger for most packs, but own 2 Venom ProChargers to cover LiPO and others.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

ok! thanks for the heads up! ill get a new one asap!
the charger i have is a hobbico auto charger 900.
the only "dial" on it is the timer its self.
trickle charge = 35-75mA
fast charge=5 amps max.
my old battery was about 10 years old, as is the charger. and its done fine over those 10 years. id say there were a good 4 or 500 charges on my old battery. the charger i have now is a usa model charger.
do you have a link to the peak charger? i want to get it just because i know 15min fast charge is not the best way to go.... i dont know how long to charge it on the trickle charge so i have never tried!
thanks again for your help!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I use one "Ice" charger as well as 2 Venom ProChargers. All 3 do a "peak charge" which is better than a timer.
There are lots of choices out there for chargers, but an "off-shore" charger "may" have issues with support if you have a question or issue.

If you do LiPO's, a balancer (part of the charger or an external balancer) is worth it to prevent issues.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
ok! thanks for the heads up! ill get a new one asap!
the charger i have is a hobbico auto charger 900.
the only "dial" on it is the timer its self.
trickle charge = 35-75mA
fast charge=5 amps max.
my old battery was about 10 years old, as is the charger. and its done fine over those 10 years. id say there were a good 4 or 500 charges on my old battery. the charger i have now is a usa model charger.
do you have a link to the peak charger? i want to get it just because i know 15min fast charge is not the best way to go.... i dont know how long to charge it on the trickle charge so i have never tried!
thanks again for your help!!!
I've got a basically new onyx 200 peak charger I'd sell ya for cheap. I have no use for it. PM me. Your other option is to get lipos but also get a battery meter that plugs into the balance port. I bought a cheapie to use on my old brushed escs, and it just lights up and beeps when the voltage gets to the set limit.
marvinbeaverdip is offline   Reply With Quote