Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

View Poll Results: Dual FXR's. How to wire the BEC?
Directly to the Servo 13 56.52%
To the reciever 9 39.13%
I just plug stuff in and hope the smoke don't come out. 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Dual FXR's. BEC to Servo or Reciever?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Location: The Dirty Dirty, A-Town, ATL, The A, Hot-Lana, ATLANTA GEORGIA
Default Dual FXR's. BEC to Servo or Reciever?

I'd like to post a poll and see what others are doing... Dual FXR's. Run the BEC through the Reciever or directly to the Servo?

If you've got some clean wiring pics for dual esc's show them off...
mrdrinksalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdrinksalil
If you've got some clean wiring pics for dual esc's show them off...
Not a pic, but definitely the best diagram I have seen thanks to Harley.

House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

strait to the servo is the ONLY way.
I use a paper clip to make the connectors, but they make precise pieces. Search "BEC to servo", it's also in the sticky's at the top. Check'm out.
Attached Images

Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Direct to the servo is the only way I will run mine now. It just makes some much more sense.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

See, now thats what I thought. Straight to the servo. It's what pulls the most amps isn't it? Plus all these High Voltage servos that are out you need to run a BEC. But then you've got Harley that makes these amazingly beautiful wiring diagrams with the BEC running the reciever!

I know its easier to wire that way and usually a cleaner look... but to me, looks are gonna come second to performance.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdrinksalil View Post
See, now thats what I thought. Straight to the servo. It's what pulls the most amps isn't it? Plus all these High Voltage servos that are out you need to run a BEC. But then you've got Harley that makes these amazingly beautiful wiring diagrams with the BEC running the reciever!

I know its easier to wire that way and usually a cleaner look... but to me, looks are gonna come second to performance.
I agree, it's about the only time I seem to disagree with Harley.......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
20K Club

With a 2.2 I have never had a single problem or lost any performance this way. If you run quality radio systems the RX will be able to flow just as much amperage as those tiny little pins in your servo plug. I have ran direct before but there was no benefit to performance so I don't waste my time or make more unneeded clutter in the truck.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I'm guessing the rx sold with the 4pl be considered a quality system. (u can PM me if it isn't)

I know the FUTL7616 can handle 7.4V for the HV servos but I guess i'm just stuck on running that much amperage through the little plugs and the rx. I guess I'd like to see a HV servo performance test running it both ways.

So Harley, I guess if you're running it your way with the BEC to the RX and Axial ever comes out with these cutting brakes.... if you're runnin a HV servo up front you'll either need to run a HV in the rear, lower the voltage to the steering servo or hope there cutting brake servo doesn't burn up.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdrinksalil View Post
I'm guessing the rx sold with the 4pl be considered a quality system. (u can PM me if it isn't)

So Harley, I guess if you're running it your way with the BEC to the RX and Axial ever comes out with these cutting brakes.... if you're runnin a HV servo up front you'll either need to run a HV in the rear, lower the voltage to the steering servo or hope there cutting brake servo doesn't burn up.
Yup the 4PL RX will handle it just fine.

Now when you bring up cutting brakes things can get tricky. Like you said, mixing voltages and multiple high draw servos can start to push limits. I think the cutting brakes will require a high quality servo based on their design. I think a single castle BEC may not be enough for that setup. I will likely run 2 BEC's, one of which will be direct.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
With a 2.2 I have never had a single problem or lost any performance this way. If you run quality radio systems the RX will be able to flow just as much amperage as those tiny little pins in your servo plug. I have ran direct before but there was no benefit to performance so I don't waste my time or make more unneeded clutter in the truck.
OK, that sounds reasonable as an explanation. Sooo.....I guess I really DON'T disagree with you then.

Although I have been in RC for ~30 years, crawling is the first time I really needed to run high volt/amp supplies to servos....so this is a learning experiance for me. To me, in the past, BEC's were a way to get rid of a 2nd battery pack (the receiver pack) as the RX's didn't have built in BEC's way back when.
Thanks for "edumacating" me.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

yeah I remember one of my first visits to the local hobby shop when I was just getting into RCRC. I went looking for a monster servo and someone there told me I didn't have to have a big servo for rock crawling and those high torque servos are for planes yadda yadda yadda.... He was a jerk about it too and really made me feel like a moron.

Everytime I see him now I can't help but laugh a little.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Here's my set-up. Inspired from SMR4RUNNER's super build.
-Dual FXR's w/ switches removed
-BEC wired direct to servo
ram_tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
strait to the servo is the ONLY way.
I use a paper clip to make the connectors, but they make precise pieces. Search "BEC to servo", it's also in the sticky's at the top. Check'm out.
Rory, the solder on the RX board is going to flow better current than that paper clip made from who knows what kind of melted down crap metal from china